Skip to main content
Topic: Who stood up? (Read 23951 times) previous topic - next topic

Who stood up?

One of the best criteria for judging the quality and character of a player is how they stand up under finals pressure.

We have at least two games this year to make the call.
There's probably no need to call out those who didn't quite rise to the occasion.
If you don't get mentioned then you have some work to do, and a game to do it in.

I'll start with two and we can add names as we go.

Cottrell
Acres
...stood up.

Re: Who stood up?

Reply #1
Martin, Weitering, Walsh. Stood up.

Reply #2
COTTRELLLLLLLL!!!!!
BOG.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #3
Cripps, Docherty and Saad.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #4
Havent been a Cottrell fan but his first half was excellent...
Acres had some big moments and another of my less fancied players in Martin also did the same with some match saving efforts later in the game as well as some handy goals and gave an important one to Acres so credit where its due.
The player I would like to single out though who doesnt get much of a mention is Kemp, looked like he was heading down the path of a typical Carlton youngster, plenty of talent as a U18 player but was in limbo for a while in the twos and looked on the way out. But this year not only has he had a breakout season but he has also become Mr Reliable and has some cemented himself
 in the team down back as a defender and I thought he was very steady in his first final.
Walsh, Cerra and Weitering were the players imho who provided the backbone to the win with all three showing this through the season and no surprise they stood up and was good to see Walsh back to his best.

Reply #5
One of the best criteria for judging the quality and character of a player is how they stand up under finals pressure.

We have at least two games this year to make the call.
There's probably no need to call out those who didn't quite rise to the occasion.
If you don't get mentioned then you have some work to do, and a game to do it in.

I'll start with two and we can add names as we go.

Cottrell
Acres
...stood up.
Martin
Newman
Weitering

Reply #6
Me, I stood up as I thought I was about to crap myself in that last qtr....lol.

Reply #7
Martin
Acres
Weitering
Cottrell
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #8
Havent been a Cottrell fan but his first half was excellent...
Acres had some big moments and another of my less fancied players in Martin also did the same with some match saving efforts later in the game as well as some handy goals and gave an important one to Acres so credit where its due.
The player I would like to single out though who doesnt get much of a mention is Kemp, looked like he was heading down the path of a typical Carlton youngster, plenty of talent as a U18 player but was in limbo for a while in the twos and looked on the way out. But this year not only has he had a breakout season but he has also become Mr Reliable and has some cemented himself
 in the team down back as a defender and I thought he was very steady in his first final.
Walsh, Cerra and Weitering were the players imho who provided the backbone to the win with all three showing this through the season and no surprise they stood up and was good to see Walsh back to his best.

I think that Kempy is looking more and more like a ten year player EB.

Given that he’s being asked to take on much bigger players each week, as he was again on Friday night, Kempy certainly stood up,

Pity about the error that gave up a goal, but everyone has those moments.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #9
I think that Kempy is looking more and more like a ten year player EB.

Given that he’s being asked to take on much bigger players each week, as he was again on Friday night, Kempy certainly stood up,

Mrs G2C loves Kempy and Hollands. Kemp's blemish on Fri was one of few for him this year, he has been mighty and has a very long and bright future.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #10
Mrs G2C loves Kempy and Hollands. Kemp's blemish on Fri was one of few for him this year, he has been mighty and has a very long and bright future.

Yep agree. Kemp has poise and backs himself in to take defensive marks which for young player is a massive tick. Teams very well with Weitering and they play as if they have played 100 games together. Allows Weitering to play his intercepting role and hard to believe the kid is yet to notch up 25 games! Looks every bit of a 200 game player.

Cottrell is a manic player who is dangerous round goal and similar to Motlop has that ability to really lift the team. Very happy with him.

Reply #11

I was 7 rows back from where that mistake happened.

What wasn't really shown on TV was when Kemp handballed to....TDK IIRC, he pointed long telling TDK to clear the 50 with the kick, instead TDK handballed it back to him (when he wasn't ready) and thats why he fumbled (because his arm was outstretched pointing down the line).
Now i'm not blaming TDK for handballing it back to him (thats what rucks should be doing) but had TDK shoved it on the boot like instructed there wouldn't have been the issue.
Of course the blame should probably go to Kemp who should've kicked it first, rather than handball to a ruck in tight space.

But hey, its an anomaly and all is forgiven.

Reply #12
Cottrell
Acres
Martin
Weiters (if there's a step above the top step!)
Walsh
Cerra
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #13
I was 7 rows back from where that mistake happened.

What wasn't really shown on TV was when Kemp handballed to....TDK IIRC, he pointed long telling TDK to clear the 50 with the kick, instead TDK handballed it back to him (when he wasn't ready) and thats why he fumbled (because his arm was outstretched pointing down the line).
Now i'm not blaming TDK for handballing it back to him (thats what rucks should be doing) but had TDK shoved it on the boot like instructed there wouldn't have been the issue.
Of course the blame should probably go to Kemp who should've kicked it first, rather than handball to a ruck in tight space.

But hey, its an anomaly and all is forgiven.

That’s footy!

Our defence is usually such a well-oiled machine that the odd mistake, like Newy’s kick that missed Marchy, stands out like dog’s balls.

And, that brings me to  Caleb, who certainly stood up on Friday night.  A very underrated player is Marchy.

Reply #14
De koning stood up too.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson