Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW R9 - Carlton vs GWS @Blacktown - SUN 4:10 (Read 2408 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFLW R9 - Carlton vs GWS @Blacktown - SUN 4:10

Reply #15
What does this mindset achieve though aside from cementing that we are failures?

I.e.  focusing on the positive is what can be the mindset to prevent future failure.   We do need to acknowledge what went wrong, but more surrounding how to learn from it moving forward.

Its the way of the world and its the way the world is continuing to head to be able to recognise what went wrong, without beating yourself up over it.

I too have been guilty of that in the past but it really isn't healthy or helpful. 
I was stating a fact and in this case it’s that womens season was a disappointing one.
I’m fine if you want to be more positive about it if that makes you feel better about things.
But I prefer to call it as I see it.

Reply #16
I was stating a fact and in this case it’s that womens season was a disappointing one.
I’m fine if you want to be more positive about it if that makes you feel better about things.
But I prefer to call it as I see it.

I think the devil is in the deatail.

The season didn't go as expected, which is disappointing......BUT we will have the same group going forward and will learn from the disappointing season, specifically start of the season and it will make us more hungry from here.

Perhaps since we one of 4 teams left last year when the season was cancelled, and we started as favourites (or one of) we may have expected it to just happen. Now we know thats not the case and we will do our best to ensure it doesn't happen again.

At the end of the day, we are still in the top half of the competition, so all hope is not lost.

Reply #17
As best i can tell, Darcy Vescio is going to win the female version of the Coleman medal. She has 14 goals. There are 3 others who have 14 goals (Brennan, Hougton, Molloy) and they have all played this round.

Everyone else nearby has also played this round.

Her next closest rival is Cora Staunton (GWS) who has 8 majors.
...although Nic Stevens actually has 9, but less likely to overtake Vescio.

So currently, she has won the award....albeit sharing it. If she kicks 1 (or more) she doesn't need to share.

Reply #18
Further to the above, she has the record for most in a year (14) which she has equalled her own efforts in year 1 (2017) when she won the same award. So whatever she kicks, she will have the most goals in a year as well.

Congrats Darcy.

Reply #19
First goal Vescio. Outright winner of the goal kicking award, and record of most goals in a season (15)

....and counting?

Reply #20
Wow. Darcy Vescio take a bow. Doing a SOS and playing top footy at both ends.

Reply #21
Katie Loynes and Kerryn Harrington hugging eachother with tears in their eyes.

They have a long standing relationship going back to pre-AFLW and to me that was an embrace that tells me it will be the last time they play a game together. That is, Katie Loynes will be retiring IMO.

Reply #22
Further to the above. Every player went to Al Downie immediately after singing the song, who was also in tears.

Both Loynes and Downie are 35 and i think its the right time to retire for both.

Fun Fact.....Every game of footy Brazzalle has ever played, Al Downie has been in the team. This extends to before AFLW started.

EDIT: ....and then they both get chaired off to make it official.

Reply #23
It is nice to have the girls win, but the percentage wouldn't have got us into a final even if North had lost.
So be it.
It has been a very special game, as it has been the last for co-Captain Katie Loynes and ruck-defender Ali Downie. Both are still important players for us, especially in the leadership department, but their bodies have been letting them down of late.
Congratulations to both girls for a special career, from the start of the AFLW to now.

Congratulations to Darcy Vescio, who has proved again that she has what it takes. Just wonder what she would be like if we could hit a forward target!
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #24
Just wonder what she would be like if we could hit a forward target!

Enter the new breed.

Mimi Hill and Abbie McKay are clones of Katie Loynes, but more polished.

The new draftees coming in will continue to take over from some more of the originals. They have been able to play all the way through their career were the originals have had to take a break, thus skill level lacks by comparison.

A few more players that would be next in line to be 'replaced' by the new breed will be Jess Edwards (IMO should not get a contract for 2022 - can't kick) From then a player like Brazzale will be in the gun.
Both of these players have heart, but are missing a few strings to their bows and will be overtaken by the draftees.