Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 13: Post Game Prattling-Carlton v Fremantle (Read 38235 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 13: Post Game Prattling-Carlton v Fremantle

Reply #120
For that reason we don't have the luxury of bringing him back through the VFL.
If he's fit he has to play...That doesn't mean he's match ready after a five week break.
He's been OK for us this year before he was injured.

Sadly though he'll never be better than OK, and that's on his good days.
It isn't his fault and I have no beef against him or any other Carlton player, but it's symptomatic of our malaise.
Too many OK players, far too many.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #121
Sadly though he'll never be better than OK, and that's on his good days.
It isn't his fault and I have no beef against him or any other Carlton player, but it's symptomatic of our malaise.
Too many OK players, far too many.

That's quite right...I think a lot of Casboult's problem has been some folk expected him to be Fevola and he's just a fair, average player.

Reply #122
He's now a 100 game, 7 year player, the sort of player who needs to stand up when the team is under pressure or being badly beaten.
It's high time we stopped making excuses for him.

He's a reasonable player but he's no a first round pick either. He's a pick 44 in a rookie draft. A KPF in a rookie draft is usually not going to be a side to hold a side together. He's a 2nd forward on ability and only if he also rucks. We've been lucky to have him as a bridge between losing Waite/Henderson and waiting for the next level to develop.

Reply #123
Watching Ed Curnow on the Footy Show. Seems we tried to play that offensive, zoning brand. Why did F dopey Bolton play that game plan in a game that was very winnable. Is he an idiot? It's too far advanced for us, the players get totally lost, and we fall apart. We can't marry the offensive and defensive plan and we get humiliated time and again when we try to. Idiot Bolton!

Our strength right now is the congested, in-close defensive plan. That's the way footy's played these days anyway by most clubs, so play it that way. We play it well, relatively at least, and are always very competitive. Play the other plan and we're plainly hopeless and lost. Why are people, who are supposed to be experts so F dumb.

Reply #124
That's quite right...I think a lot of Casboult's problem has been some folk expected him to be Fevola and he's just a fair, average player.

And our team is full of them, apart from Cripps none of yesterday's 22 would be certain of a game in a top side and 6 or 8 of them wouldn't even be on West Coast or Sydney's senior list, and I reckon I'm being generous.
We aren't on the bottom with a percentage in the low 60's by some sort of fluke.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #125
Boltons' presser was full of spin and little else......Freo had a younger team on the park, it was lack of effort coupled with a poor game plan.
We need a close contested game where it aint pretty and we can scrounge and bite our way over the line, you look at the first half and there are Freo players loose every where. Tuckers goal was about as easy as it gets, zero pressure and its clear our defense dont understand the game plan given where our players were standing in relation to the ball.

Bolton needs to lose the spin, youth excuses and lift his game in the coaches box and start reacting earlier than he does......I dont care if we play 8 men back but do something....12 goals straight and in the manner they scored isnt acceptable and he needs to take responsibility and not talk crap about culture at half time and 40 new players etc....effort and planning was what was lacking IMO in the main..

If Barker and others are not up to providing Bolton with the right info to act then they have to go........

Reply #126
Boltons' presser was full of spin and little else......Freo had a younger team on the park, it was lack of effort coupled with a poor game plan.
We need a close contested game where it aint pretty and we can scrounge and bite our way over the line, you look at the first half and there are Freo players loose every where. Tuckers goal was about as easy as it gets, zero pressure and its clear our defense dont understand the game plan given where our players were standing in relation to the ball.

Bolton needs to lose the spin, youth excuses and lift his game in the coaches box and start reacting earlier than he does......I dont care if we play 8 men back but do something....12 goals straight and in the manner they scored isnt acceptable and he needs to take responsibility and not talk crap about culture at half time and 40 new players etc....effort and planning was what was lacking IMO in the main..

If Barker and others are not up to providing Bolton with the right info to act then they have to go........

BB is being very poorly advised if he is being advised at all, but as I've mentioned before on media issues around our players, contracts, injuries, the tribunal and the like our club is very poorly run in the media! We are dead-set amateurs, I often bag the Pudding Face Twins, but they A-Graders at deflection and deception!

I'm afraid I've come to the same conclusion regarding Barker, he's had too long, even though our list is newly assembled the player development results are not there to support re-contracting.

In a decade the only clear player improvement we've seen(potentially) is Casboult's kicking under Rocca. There is hardly a player on our list that looks better now than when they arrived, most seem to be going backwards!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #127

I just want a game plan that plays to our strengths, especially in winnable games. If he can't do that then  he can F off. Wonder if the job is beyond him at his stage of experience. My personal preference as coach is in the box, David Teague.

Reply #128
I just want a game plan that plays to our strengths, especially in winnable games. If he can't do that then  he can F off. Wonder if the job is beyond him at his stage of experience. My personal preference as coach is in the box, David Teague.

Maybe, only maybe, BB is too much of a teacher, maybe he is unable to let go of the reigns!

Maybe he, and our club, doesn't have the guts to give the AFL the finger and play a game style that suits our kids!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #129
Maybe, only maybe, BB is too much of a teacher, maybe he is unable to let go of the reigns!

Maybe he, and our club, doesn't have the guts to give the AFL the finger and play a game style that suits our kids!
Might have a point.

Just about every other side plays that way now. This is the lowest scoring season since 1968.

Reply #130
I think Carlton merchandising should be selling signed commemorative white flags after yesterday's performance.

Pretty sure the AFL and anti-Carlton media have that stitched up already. E.g. see afl video the round so far. Starts with Carlton are inexcusably sh%t.... ends with the same.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #131
Just about every other side plays that way now. This is the lowest scoring season since 1968.

Yet as LN points out, we are the focus!

Pretty sure the AFL and anti-Carlton media have that stitched up already. E.g. see afl video the round so far. Starts with Carlton are inexcusably sh%t.... ends with the same.

Is it because other clubs are so much better at managing the media than Carlton, it seems it is nothing to do with game style, list management or anything else. As @Laj points out they are all playing similarly negative game styles.

Have the opposition clubs collectively pointed the finger at Carlton as a way of deflecting from themselves, or is the media being used by opponents as a way of forcing us to play a game style that makes us less competitive! Our negative game style last season was clearly not far off causing some significant upsets!

Do or should we give a stuff if the AFL media and other struggling AFL clubs need scoring breaks to earn revenue? Does Carlton also need this to become profitable, or should it just be more focussed on winning some games? Why should Carlton support there cause, what support have we received in recent years when all they do is kick us while we are down? Is it time for us to cause them some fiscal pain, win on our terms at their expense?

It was interesting was a couple of weeks back, when the Priority Pick stuff was being discussed, just how many in the media / opposition fear that if we can get our sh1t together we will soon do a Nthmond and rocket up the membership and AFL ladder! I'm not so sure, I think it's just an excuse they use to keep on kicking us while we are down, as it's much easier to keep on kicking us when we are down than to try and apply the breaks if we start to climb!

Should they fear Carlton if it gathers any momentum?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #132
We are all very quick to go the coach.....easy target IMO.

Only have to watch the replay of the 1st half when there was some pressure on and see our so called senior players (we all know who they are) turn over regulation 20-25 metre passes time and time again. Our senior players skill level is that far below par its laughable. :-[

Put Clarkson in the coaches box yesterday and the result is the same IMO. You can switch players around and make all the moves you like and have the best game day plans in place but have a senior core that cant execute the very basics and you get results like yesterday. Its as simple as that.

Need min of 8-10 decent ball users and boot out the hacks we continue to persist with. Couldn't care less if they are A, B or C grade as long as they have clean foot skills.

More of the mould of Fisher and no more Lamb, Kerridge, Graham, Lamb, Rowe, O'Shea, Mullett, Casboult types. I could keep going. :-X

Reply #133

Only have to watch the replay of the 1st half when there was some pressure on and see our so called senior players (we all know who they are) turn over regulation 20-25 metre passes time and time again. Our senior players skill level is that far below par its laughable. :-[

Put Clarkson in the coaches box yesterday and the result is the same IMO. You can switch players around and make all the moves you like and have the best game day plans in place but have a senior core that cant execute the very basics and you get results like yesterday. Its as simple as that.

Need min of 8-10 decent ball users and boot out the hacks we continue to persist with. Couldn't care less if they are A, B or C grade as long as they have clean foot skills.

More of the mould of Fisher and no more Lamb, Kerridge, Graham, Lamb, Rowe, O'Shea, Mullett, Casboult types. I could keep going. :-X

Also the correct target. Players are totally lost with that zoning, offensive crap and mentally fall apart. You play to your strengths, especially in winnable game. Yesterday was a total F up all round. If Bolton hasn't learned we can't play that game plan after all the times we have been humiliated then he shouldn't be there. When we play our regular plan, the players are right into and give 100% and are very competitive against all teams. When we play that zoning, offensive crap, we look like we can't get near the ball and get wiped off the map. That's on the coach. You work it out.

Reply #134

That is generalising Shawny, many of us are giving BB more time but are not so forgiving of some long term appointees around him.

Lots of posters pointed this out yesterday, while the kids were bad so were the seniors, the seniors do not and should not get a pass mark for past good deeds when they deliver that crap!

Doubt the Freo run on would have lasted so long, but again referring to the first point it's as much about the support coaches as it is the front man! Something that makes Clarkson great is listening to the support crew and harvesting the best suggestions, does BB ignore suggestions or are they absent? We've seen this sort of things happening for too long, more than the reign of a single coach, it can't just be BB!

True, but isn't that part of player development, how many of our long term players have improved in field kicking? It's not just all about the list management and match day tactics!

The worry is Fisher types will go backwards in our environment, I suspect that was the message hidden in Rhys Palmer's tweets yesterday!
The Force Awakens!