Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 21 Post Game Prattle: Carlton vs Freo in Perth (Read 16014 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 21 Post Game Prattle: Carlton vs Freo in Perth

Reply #45
Yes,  wrist injury and came back unfit, don't understand how that can occur.  Must have used the other hand to eat the KFC with.   Needs to get committed and professiobal very rapidly or he'll end up on the "talented but didn't work hard enough" category.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #46
Not saying he had a good game but Murphy was involved in a lot of our scoring chains.

It was glaring yesterday his inability to zip away from contests, his apparent reluctance to tackle and his neglible defensive pressure.  Combined with his poor disposal efficiency it puts a lot of onus on the other mids to cover for him.

In an ideal world i would play him as a small forward, his roving days are closed to finished.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #47
Murphy had 15 possies at 54% DE, Graham had 18@ 44%........once Dow had no fuel in the tank after half time it was Cripps vs Neale, Lanngon and Mundy and the numbers won out.....

Backline is a worry IMO...Taberner, Cox and McCarty are garbage but we struggled to contain them...Marchbank isnt KP, Jack couldnt handle McCarthy and it was left to Rowe to try and steady the ship. Our maligned forward line actually has a better look to it, Charlie, McKay and Kerr when he plays looks good for the future........

Our backline should have some pretty good inclusions at the start of next season, with Doc, Weitering and Williamson.
If we don't recruit mids it won't improve

Reply #48
You can only conclude that playing SOJ 1 on 1 on McCathy was a deliberate 'strategy'?

When did Jack last play as a KPD? In u/7s?

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #49
You can only conclude that playing SOJ 1 on 1 on McCathy was a deliberate 'strategy'?

When did Jack last play as a KPD? In u/7s?

Given the absence of Weitering, Plowman and Jones it was probably him or O'Shea.
All things considered we did well to lead at half time.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #50
Our backline should have some pretty good inclusions at the start of next season, with Doc, Weitering and Williamson.
If we don't recruit mids it won't improve

Docherty will be a great inclusion but I remain unconvinced about Weitering as a KP defender, I think he works better as the intercept marking defender, problem is that Marchbanks best role.
Neither handle the true KP players that well...our best KP defenders are ACOS and Rowe and both are at the end.....
IMO we need another KP defender who has some muscle and height.....
Williamson has been a massive loss and is one of my fav players but his back injury worries me for the future.....

Reply #51
He had a full pre season this year, he injured his hand which shouldn't have affected his aerobic fitness at all and he's now been back playing for six or seven weeks.
I hope he steps up next season but the signs aren't promising in my opinion.

Then he missed 12 weeks. That's probably worse than missing a pre-season. There would've been alot he couldn't do, not to mention the loss of match fitness, which many don't get back. He looked the part last year so we wait until he plays when fit.

Reply #52
Kerridge might rack up the possessions but barely any are worth it? Continues to turn it over as does Nick Graham. Graham's miss when kicking around the corner early in the 3rd quarter from 30m out was so costly...Freo took it down the other end and goaled and from there we just fell away. Polsen is only young but runs around like a headless chook burning up fuel tickets to gather half a dozen kicks. Way too many players register single digit possessions week after week....Silvagni, Polsen, Marchbank etc. We simply do not have enough quality players on the current list to be remotely competitive for 4 quarters each week. Pickett looks like he could be anything but rarely gets near it...and the same with Jarrod Garlett. I thought he would be a handy pick up given we gave up virtually nothing to get him...but not up to AFL standard.

Lobbe has worked hard since coming into the side and is worth persevering with. But big questions now over Kruezer, and Phillips is always injured.

If we don't secure some talent through free agency or with packaging up first round picks for players then it'll be another 3 or 4 years of battling it out for the wooden spoon. I hate being a pessimist but it's very hard to see where the improvement is coming from. Apart from Cripps, Curnow and maybe Fisher, we have an uncanny knack of taking young players who look like they've got some talent and turning them into ordinary footballers.

Reply #53
Seems clear to me:

One good ruckman - Preuss would be ideal.

Three mature bodied mids - we've all seen the list potentially available

Elites - Shiel, Kelly, Gaff, Crouch Bros
Next - Hannebury
Others - Miles, Holman, Grigg, that crows' rookie, Schloithe, Marlion pickett

Smal forwards - name escapes me (the guy we talked about him last week)

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #54
Seems clear to me:

One good ruckman - Preuss would be ideal.

Three mature bodied mids - we've all seen the list potentially available

Elites - Shiel, Kelly, Gaff, Crouch Bros
Next - Hannebury
Others - Miles, Holman, Grigg, that crows' rookie, Schloithe, Marlion pickett

Smal forwards - name escapes me (the guy we talked about him last week)

Surely Wallis and or Libba get a mention.
I know they are not A graders but I would take 2 B Graders.
Considering Kerridge and E Curnow are C-D

Reply #55
Sure, forgot those two!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #56
Surely Wallis and or Libba get a mention.
I know they are not A graders but I would take 2 B Graders.
Considering Kerridge and E Curnow are C-D

Wallis and Libba are being considered I believe , Wallis wants Essendon but wants Libba with him, Bombers are cool on the Libba component.
Both are knobs off the field...for that reason I'm not so keen, you can be a knob if you are a Dane Swan or a Dustin Martin in what you deliver on the big stage but
the two dogs players are not at that level....not sure I'd have Wallis and Libba as B graders either.....

Reply #57
After watching the horrendous kicking skills of some of our midfielders, we need blokes who can kick....throw the big bucks at Gaff as a free agent and try to broker a deal with GWS for Shiel. Then if you can get one of Libba or Dalhaus or Wallis as midfielders via free agency then go for it. Our midfield is not up to scratch. Defence will be stronger next year if you put back in Jones, Weitering, Plowman, Docherty and Williamson into the side that played on the weekend.

Reply #58
After watching the horrendous kicking skills of some of our midfielders, we need blokes who can kick....throw the big bucks at Gaff as a free agent and try to broker a deal with GWS for Shiel. Then if you can get one of Libba or Dalhaus or Wallis as midfielders via free agency then go for it. Our midfield is not up to scratch. Defence will be stronger next year if you put back in Jones, Weitering, Plowman, Docherty and Williamson into the side that played on the weekend.

Gaff might be looking for some time out of the limelight, maybe a lowly club who dont get much TV/media exposure etc might suit....think Sheil is going to be hard work to prise out of GWS.....worth a try but I reckon Gaff  might be in the state of mind that he could be persuaded and that finals may be less of an issue at this stage...

Reply #59

You wouldnt get Wallis to improve the kicking aspect of our team....not his strong point, both him and his knob mate are better by hand IMO.....Dalhaus would be my preference even though he is small and I dont likem too small but he can kick goals as a forward pocket and he can be value in the midfield(I'm going on fellow poster Jezza's knowledge ;))