Skip to main content
Topic: Round 8 Preview - Carlton v Geelong (Read 59761 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Round 8 Preview - Carlton v Geelong

Reply #45
I find it incredible, then again, perhaps I don't, that some of you actually think that Watson deserves YET ANOTHER CHANCE.

The fact that the ball "didn't get down there", is irrelevant.

The question must be, when it did get down there, what did Watson do?

Did he contest? Did he show toughness, effort, or any determination to actually try and get the ball?

Did he put his body on the line at any stage during his time on the field?

Now, if you are prepared to set aside your blinkered biased glasses and look at Watson's 3 possession performance objectively, you must, if you have got any idea about the game at all, agree that Watson, while he may be a very nice bloke, is, at AFL level,  a complete hack.

Putting everything else aside, after 4 years in the system, I have yet to see Watson kick with his right foot, nor do I know if he can.

That, in itself is an indictment of Watson's commitment to the game, to the club, and his desire to play at the highest level.

I wouldn't give him another game, and he MUST be delisted at the end of the year.

Dont get me wrong Big fella..I'm not a fan of Watson and am only prepared to give him opportunity that we have to Jones in the interest
of equity....do i think he will make it..No...do i think we will delist him at seasons end...Yes
Is he better than Jones?...we will see in a couple of weeks if he stays in the team but I am not expecting much difference to the output from Jones....

Reply #46
I think we need to make some major changes. first off I would take Gibbs, Judd and Murphy out of the midfield, I would play Gibbs down back and Murphy up forward. I also think we need another Key defender because Jacsck isn't up to the task. I would also use Kruezer as a key forward if fit, and I would play Yarran further up the ground as we lack pace thru the middle. Finally I would not play Carrazzo again as I think he is gone. This means I would go with the following
B.    Docherty Rowe White
H/B  Gibbs (Henderson/Jamison)* Touhy  *Only one
C     Yarran Curnow Everett
H/F   Tutt Kreuzer Bell
F.     Murphy Casboult Menzel
R.    Wood Cripps Graham
I/C   Simpson Buckley Whiley  Judd

All the rest, Walker, Thomas, Jacsk, Grant and the rest can play in the twos until they get form and passion.

Don't mind that side, but I cant stand to see Tutt in Navy Blue and would prefer to see Walker play there. Agree on Carazzo, however I'd play Warnock ahead of Wood.

Basically, I'd get all of Malthouse's picks out of the side - Wood, Tutt, Jones & Thomas

Reply #47
Something revolutionary.  Settle the side for 6 weeks, and see how well they go.  So far, we seem to average a lot of changes every week, and none of it makes much difference.  They might improve more if they get used to playing with each other.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #48
Something revolutionary.  Settle the side for 6 weeks, and see how well they go.  So far, we seem to average a lot of changes every week, and none of it makes much difference.  They might improve more if they get used to playing with each other.
x2

Reply #49
I think Friday night will be date night with the better half.

Best to avoid the media until mid to late Sat arvo until some other games have commenced.

This result could be frightening, in what is fast becoming an deplorable Blues season...

Reply #50
Is Hawkins back for this game? Rowe won't be sleeping easy and with the midfield tranquilised, it might be a bad night ahead. The better teams can close down old champs like SJ but it's teams like us those guys continue to ply their trade on.

I suspect another tough night as Geelong will want to show they have something left in them but where there's life there's hope.

Do it for Mick  ;D

Reply #51
Love to find a long term injury list player to allow us to give Walsh a go. He is going to be a contributor in the coming years and just needs some consistent game time in the big league.

It is important that over the next 16 weeks Cripps, Graham, Holman, Walsh etc get to see Juddy prepare for a game, how he conducts himself on the ground, take direction from him....and just LEARN from him (very few others on the list worth shadowing!!).

Need to make this extra year of Juddy's as productive as possible.

Reply #52
Geelong, Sydney, Adelaide, the bye. This could get very ugly in the next three weeks. Traditionally we play well against the Cats so this is our chance to show some improvement.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #53
May even lose the bye?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #55
May even lose the bye?
At the moment I wouldn't put it past us.  :( :(

Like carrots mentioned earlier, we usually match up quite well against Geelong. That should give us some confidence.
However, things are as far from 'normal' as we can get.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #56
I reckon Geelong are as slow as us and if by some freakin' miracle we can hit a few targets we might run this mob closer than expected.  Curnow is doing ok and he might be harder for Selwood to shake off than say Wiley.  Asking Carrots to run with Selwood is probably asking too much right now.  And here's a left field one - White or even Jaksch to run with Blicavs around the ground - he is key to their ball movement.  Look for Gibbs to have a good game as well - he normally gets space against the cats that he exploits.  Taylor is another that cannot be allowed to run around and dictate play.

Assuming none of the injured list come up, Mr Dorotich, I reckon you're pretty close to the side I'd pick, although I'd like to see Fields get a go.  That means no Carrots, Ellard, Watson, Armfield.   I would give Juddy a week's holiday and send Thomas back to the twos because fair dinkum he needs a rocket.  We need to show the list that anything less than full commitment is unacceptable.

Basically send the message to the players that they are all valuable to us -  that the club values effort and passion and its about the here and now, not possible delistings and horse trading in 8 month's time.

Mick needs to be taken aside and told that he is safe on a number of conditions; development.  Development of the players, the gameplan and club.  That players must be instructed to take the game on and a faster gameplan developed.  MAke teh game exciting and football fun again.  As a result  I would like to see Yarran (not a defenders a-hole)  and Touhy higher up the ground if possible.  Buckley to get a run on a wing, not defence.

Geelong don't win a lot of clearances... they rely on us giving them back the pill.  They also rely upon owning the corridor.  Win first use.   Retain the ball.  Cut them up with pace through their back half (don't let them set up!) and we'll do this mob.

DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #57
Geelong by 45 points.
Hawkins 6 goals.
Selwood 7 free kicks (most for head high contact)
MM to say 'they re a very good football side' in the Presser.

Reply #58
Is Hawkins going to play though?