Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Pandemonium!: AFL 2021 Rd 4: Carlton vs Gold Coast (Read 6978 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Pandemonium!: AFL 2021 Rd 4: Carlton vs Gold Coast

Reply #30
Dow was playing good football throughout 2018 and 2019, and has gone backward since. Don't blame the players for the chronic failures of the club. If he was at one of the better development clubs he would be flying.

Reply #31
An ugly win is always much better than an honourable loss. For example, we played much better round 1 against Richmond but I'll take this this win all day ahead of that.

And we're now 6th!!!

No one remembers whether you won ugly or pretty!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #32
Parks barely had a possession, but he did a decent job defending. Not sure he'll keep his place if we have a few guys back. But he does have some idea what he is doing.

The biggest contribution from Parks is that he provides a stronger, less panicky option than Plowman in the last line of defence, which allows Plowman to be a better player.

Reply #33
The biggest contribution from Parks is that he provides a stronger, less panicky option than Plowman in the last line of defence, which allows Plowman to be a better player.

Yep, I think he will become a tough, uncompromising  cool customer for us. Loved his tackle on Lokosius. Certainly  gave him something to go on with.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #34
We had a family birthday celebration last night so I was following progressive scores and have only managed to see the last quarter.
We pretty much dominated that and should have had a least another 2 or 3 goals.

Really felt for Jack and I'm not sure whether that shoulder (I'm assuming it's the same one he injured in Round 1) doesn't need some immediate surgical attention. I can't help but feel he was rushed back, but players playing through injury seems to be par for the course with us. Even though I only saw the last quarter Saad also looked a bit proppy, Plowman should have been straight off (probably stayed on because of the rotation issue) ...and Cripps probably carried injuries into every game last year.

I suspect Kennedy showed more in the short time he was on than some players showed for the whole game....but I'll have to watch it to confirm that.

A game we were expected to win.
A tight scrappy game.
Often in the past these are ones we dropped, so to come away with the win is a positive

Reply #35
My only comment  until I watch the replay....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #36
We toughed out a scrappy game in difficult conditions.
Backline.
Ability to lock the aggot into our forward half.

Dislikes:
Dreadfully inconsistent umpiring.
Composure, or the lack thereof, in front of goal - should have won this game by about 3-5 goals.

Most of our guys did their jobs when it was their time. Really pleased with the efforts from lesser lights - Parks, Cottrell and Kennedy when he came on.

With the conditions you cut guys a fair bit of slack but still disappointed with the below average results from Casboult and Dow. I think next week we should see Williams for Dow and Kennedy for SOJ. If McGovern gets through the Magoos okay then him in for Casboult.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #37
We toughed out a scrappy game in difficult conditions.
Backline.
Ability to lock the aggot into our forward half.

Dislikes:
Dreadfully inconsistent umpiring.
Composure, or the lack thereof, in front of goal - should have won this game by about 3-5 goals.

Most of our guys did their jobs when it was their time. Really pleased with the efforts from lesser lights - Parks, Cottrell and Kennedy when he came on.

With the conditions you cut guys a fair bit of slack but still disappointed with the below average results from Casboult and Dow. I think next week we should see Williams for Dow and Kennedy for SOJ. If McGovern gets through the Magoos okay then him in for Casboult.

McGovern was good in the 2s. Timed his leads very well. He might come in for JSOS. Play him more a focal point rather than a 3rd tall and leave Casboult to just 2nd ruck as I doubt they are dropping him for that rucking reason. Williams for Dow definitely. Kennedy for Setterfield.

Reply #38
McGovern was good in the 2s. Timed his leads very well. He might come in for JSOS. Play him more a focal point rather than a 3rd tall and leave Casboult to just 2nd ruck as I doubt they are dropping him for that rucking reason. Williams for Dow definitely. Kennedy for Setterfield.
Was good to see Levi starting to use his weight and strength again around the ground, that's the first time I've seen it this year. It's his go. He should ignore the tap stuff and just muscle opponents and try to get a handball away and if the ball is pilfered by an opponent he should be smashing them in a tackle every time, even if he gives away a few frees it'll start making some space for Walsh and Cripps.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #39
Was good to see Levi starting to use his weight and strength again around the ground, that's the first time I've seen it this year. It's his go. He should ignore the tap stuff and just muscle opponents and try to get a handball away and if the ball is pilfered by an opponent he should be smashing them in a tackle every time, even if he gives away a few frees it'll start making some space for Walsh and Cripps.
Its an art what you have described above, if it doesn't come natural to him and doesn't know what he is doing, he will come off second best.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #40

Good to hear McG was good in the 2s, almost guarantees him of a recall... his mobility will be helpful.

Setterfield is an interesting one. I think his quickness and general accuracy with his hands will save him for another week. Reads the play well but I understand supporter frustration re him not imposing himself on games... maybe it's simply his go to be a linking kind of cat.

Knowing how conservative our selection committee is will save Casboult... and in his defense, very few of the big fellas took important grabs last night - except for Jones. But Meat hasn't been taking them all year really. He's fortunate the King is out injured.

I defended Dow last week but watched his game carefully when I watched the replay this morning - it's above the shoulders with this kid at present, playing like a bloke whose head is elsewhere and devoid of confidence and surety.

Kennedy definitely deserves a full game... did well, looked confident and right at home when he came on.

Hopefully Saad pulls up okay and he has enough time to get through whatever injury he's carrying. His pace on the G next Saturday night will be critical for us.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #41
Kennedy definitely deserves a full game... did well, looked confident and right at home when he came on.

He did.
He looked as relaxed and confident as I've seen him... and had a  bit of a presence.
Must get more game time next week.

Reply #42
They wont drop Setterfield, like to see Kennedy replace the injured JSOS.

Reply #43
They wont drop Setterfield, like to see Kennedy replace the injured JSOS.

They should drop setterfield EB.

This bloke plats like he will get a game no matter how he performs. Same with Dow.

Setterfield jogs around the contest and won’t attack the ball or player with the energy and intent.

Seen enough of both of them and really hope we give others a go. Kennedy, Cunningham and stocker should be given 5 or so games to compare and make decisions on all on this group come seasons end.

Cottrell shows the intent needed. May not have the look of a Dow or setterfield but he has heart and energy and that’s a trait you either have or you don’t.

Same for parks. That boy has ticker too.

Hate seeing kids that play like they are comfortable and setters, Dow and LOB do that.

Reply #44
He did.
He looked as relaxed and confident as I've seen him... and had a  bit of a presence.
Must get more game time next week.

He looked very relaxed and seemed to be thoroughly enjoying himself.
Reality always wins in the end.