Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 6 2022 Post Game Permutations Carlton vs Fremantle (Read 4277 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 6 2022 Post Game Permutations Carlton vs Fremantle

Reply #15
I suspect that those who are shattered by the loss had little respect for Freo. As I noted in the pre-match thread, I was initially in that camp but the more I looked at them the more I realised they are a top side. A loss against them is no more cringeworthy than losing to Melbourne or Brisbane. Freo will make the finals comfortably.

Reply #16
Completely outplayed and we were never really in that contest.

Parks, Newnes, Cottrell & Boyd are way out of their depth, Williams looks like being a bust and Fisher doesn’t have the body strength to play midfield. Our leg speed is a huge issue and all of
Williamson, Dow & Philip can help that in the short term.

In the longer term, McGovern, Honey, Cunningham & Dow will provide the leg speed and class that we need.

Reply #17
I'm not concerned about losing,  it's how we lost and how ineffective about 8 blokes were.   If we aspire to greater things we must address serious shortcomings in both personnel and game plan.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #18
I suspect that those who are shattered by the loss had little respect for Freo. As I noted in the pre-match thread, I was initially in that camp but the more I looked at them the more I realised they are a top side. A loss against them is no more cringeworthy than losing to Melbourne or Brisbane. Freo will make the finals comfortably.

They may make finals but they are not in the category of Brisbane and no where near Melbourne.

It’s a long season and apart from Brisbane and Sydney and Melbourne I think there are 5 remaining spots up for grabs and while freo is in the running so are we imo.

Reply #19
Freo are good team that put us under plenty of pressure. We struggled especially to get quality F50 entries and to hold it in there. Freo caught us out too many times with their quick rebound. Plenty of room for improvement especially going forward  but at least we did fight it out to the end.
Inside clearance team vs outside team with pace and pace won tonight when we lost Pittonet who is a major cog in that inside crew......their small forwards were on and our small defenders dont really defend so we got got caught out. Walters hasnt touched the ball for two years but decided to turn up tonight unfortunately,  and annoying types like Schultz and Switskowski always seemed to have space and a break on our blokes.

Reply #20
[1] Fair dinkum, we were good in the 1st quarter. We really did well, considering that Pittonet and H were off.
[2] Tom de Koning did try his best, but he us too light: too easy to get out of the way.
[3] Fair dinkum, we don't get rewarded for our tackles! I know that Freo get an armchair ride from the Umps in WA, but ...
[4] We need to make changes this week. Too many guys not doing enough.
[5] Fair dinkum, our mids were phenomenal, under the circumstances.
Cripps: 32 possessions, 3 goals, 4 marks, 5 tackles and 8 clearances! What a player!
Walsh: 36 possessions, 4 tackles and 4 clearances.
Cerra: 32 possessions, 5 tackles and 7 clearances.
Hewett: 30 possessions, 8 tackles and 6 clearances.
But the rest ...
[6] How many times did one of our players slip over?
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #21
Parks and Boyd are duds and I'm not sure why we knocked ourselves out to get Setterfield. Young shows potential and is a handy player to have on the list but its not like having Jones down back and thats the reality.
Freo are an ugly team to play against and of course losing your main counter in Pittonet to their main driving force in Darcy was about the worst thing that could have happened. You add in Harry copping a knock which rendered him useless and Jack being out it just all added up to Freo winning. Cant stand Longmuir and I hope we play Freo in the finals and give them the "old heave ho" in straights sets out of the finals and back to mediocrity where they belong.

Reply #22
It's sort of the result people should have seen coming, given our two games prior, this result was almost inevitable. I love the Baggers and always want us to win, but we have to be realistic, Freo are at the top of their game at the moment and we've been limping across the line after the odd good patch. We flogged ourselves in 28°C heat just 6 days ago, and we aren't a great running team.

All we can take from tonight is that we didn't drop our bundle, if a few chest marks stick we are probably within a kick sometime during the last quarter.

The fumble are still a huge problem for us, excluding one or two we are still very timid over the ball.

Still too BigH and Charlie focussed, but it doesn't help when Owies, Martin or Fisher drop chest marks.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #23
[1] Fair dinkum, we were good in the 1st quarter. We really did well, considering that Pittonet and H were off.
[2] Tom de Koning did try his best, but he us too light: too easy to get out of the way.
[3] Fair dinkum, we don't get rewarded for our tackles! I know that Freo get an armchair ride from the Umps in WA, but ...
[4] We need to make changes this week. Too many guys not doing enough.
[5] Fair dinkum, our mids were phenomenal, under the circumstances.
Cripps: 32 possessions, 3 goals, 4 marks, 5 tackles and 8 clearances! What a player!
Walsh: 36 possessions, 4 tackles and 4 clearances.
Cerra: 32 possessions, 5 tackles and 7 clearances.
Hewett: 30 possessions, 8 tackles and 6 clearances.
But the rest ...
[6] How many times did one of our players slip over?
Our mids got a bit of ball but didnt do much with it and never had much connection with our forwards and we floundered when Freo got the ball in space and ran with it.
Cripps led well and was BOG Imho....

Reply #24
What's the odds the MRO decide to slam Charlie for landing on Darcy's head, you just know it's going to be discussed!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #25
Young shows potential and is a handy player to have on the list but its not like having Jones down back and that's the reality.

Losing Jones is a double whammy because Weitering now seems to be playing much more defensively

Reply #26
They got us tonight not because I think they are a better team but they are in top form and the outs of  Kennedy and Jack and then Pitto during the game plus adding in Harry’s knee concern we needed to be at our best to beat them and we weren’t.

If we could only upgrade our bottom 6 that get games we will be a serious football team as our top end talent is as good as any teams.

Are the other mid tier teams as weak as we are in their ranked 15-21 players that get games most weeks?

I’m doubtful blokes like Boyd Setterfield  Newnes Cottrell  Parks would all get games in even bottom tier teams. Imo this is the area of greatest concern.

We have some coverage for them in the 2s and players injured that can come back but still need more depth in that area of the list imo to be a genuine finals team that can cause damage.

Until the we may still make a bottom 8 finish but we won’t go deep. 

Reply #27
Losing Jones is a double whammy because Weitering now seems to be playing much more defensively
Yep, watching him punch balls away that he could have marked easily shows you where his mind is at.
Mind you I can understand him wanting to be defensive because a few of his teammates down back refuse to play any defense at all and just want chase kicks. Never thought I would say this but McGovern missing has messed with our structure down back and taken away from Weitering that bit of confidence to be more attacking as he is feeling that defensive responsibility...McDonald missing too hasnt helped either.

Reply #28
Inexcusable ...

Missed Silvagni badly.  Setterfield?  I would never let him near his 51st.  Williams?  Nowhere near deserving his pay cheque.  Wake up Voss. 

Reply #29
Some kids had good games in the twos... Time to let the likes of Setterfield know that patience has well and truly run out.   Direct swap for Carroll.  Stocker also solid in defence.  Ta ta Boyd.  The undisciplined frees are unforgivable.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?