Skip to main content
Topic: Pre-Game Pressure: AFL 2019 Rd 5: Carlton vs Western BUlldogs (Read 27497 times) previous topic - next topic

Pre-Game Pressure: AFL 2019 Rd 5: Carlton vs Western BUlldogs

Hopefully we can learn from the way the Meat Pies played. After all, we need wins.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: Pre-Game Pressure: AFL 2019 Rd 5: Carlton vs Western BUlldogs

Reply #1
They are getable. Get Kreuzer back in, sit on Bont and we will be better around the ball. Schache is very ordinary, we can match their forwards. We just need to kick goals. Collingwood were fairly ordinary.

Reply #2
They are getable. Get Kreuzer back in, sit on Bont and we will be better around the ball. Schache is very ordinary, we can match their forwards. We just need to kick goals. Collingwood were fairly ordinary.

Its not Boltons game to sit on the opposition stars, he just lets them run free and hopes our blokes do more damage.....
Buckley should have retained Greenwood who is their best tagger...
You cant let Bontempelli run free thats the bottom line, he just uses the ball so well and when he gets a lot of ball the Dogs lift...

Reply #3
Its not Boltons game to sit on the opposition stars, he just lets them run free and hopes our blokes do more damage.....
Buckley should have retained Greenwood who is their best tagger...
You cant let Bontempelli run free thats the bottom line, he just uses the ball so well and when he gets a lot of ball the Dogs lift...

Tagging seems to be out of favour. Bolton, Buckley, and Leon Cameron all say they keep to a minimum. I'm sure there are others.

Reply #4
Tagging seems to be out of favour. Bolton, Buckley, and Leon Cameron all say they keep to a minimum. I'm sure there are others.

Tagging has been yesterday’s tactic for a couple of years now.  That’s not to say that less enlightened coaches don’t employ it.  De Boer on a badly out of form Dusty is a classic example of sacrificing one player’s contribution to achieve very little.  Unless your tagger can win his own ball, it’s a tactic that will follow the drop kick into obscurity.

Mind you, bringing the drop kick back for set shots at goal might improve accuracy.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #5
Tagging has been yesterday’s tactic for a couple of years now.  That’s not to say that less enlightened coaches don’t employ it.  De Boer on a badly out of form Dusty is a classic example of sacrificing one player’s contribution to achieve very little.  Unless your tagger can win his own ball, it’s a tactic that will follow the drop kick into obscurity.

Mind you, bringing the drop kick back for set shots at goal might improve accuracy.

Well, I can't comment much on the drop kick, but I think the preference these days is for zones and what is effectively an 18 man defence, as opposed to tagging. The theory I believe is that tagging interferes with zone structures, and is therefore discouraged.

IMO, tagging should be used on an as-needed basis. It may be useful only in certain games, or certain parts of games. I reckon used intelligently tagging can still be useful. I think you have to concede the zone when it's justified.

Reply #6
Well, I can't comment much on the drop kick, but I think the preference these days is for zones and what is effectively an 18 man defence, as opposed to tagging. The theory I believe is that tagging interferes with zone structures, and is therefore discouraged.

IMO, tagging should be used on an as-needed basis. It may be useful only in certain games, or certain parts of games. I reckon used intelligently tagging can still be useful. I think you have to concede the zone when it's justified.

I'd like to see nine points awarded for a drop kick (or place kick) goal ... but that's another conversation.

As a spectator, I would prefer to see tagging banned.  As a student of the game, I concede that there is a place for close-checking defenders but more creative coaches will find ways to negate the opposition's better players without compromising team defence.  Samo's blocks on Kennedy at stoppages last week were a prime example, particularly as both Samo and Cripps were free to complete clearances.

I think that some commentators struggle with the nuances of the modern game and call stuff that isn't there. eg Kennedy was tagging Cripps.  During the Melbourne-Sydney game, one of the commentators said that a Sydney player was tagging Oliver (why would you bother).  Almost immediately, the commentators remarked that the Sydney player was opposed to Harmes.  In reality, we were simply seeing the zone in action.  Perhaps that's too hard for the commentators to take in.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #7
Disagree completely on tagging being a thing of the past.....and if it is then its goodbye Ed Curnow....
In fact tagging is still to the fore and Mark Hutchings of West Coast is probably the new Ryan Crowley in terms of effect, if we think back to the Grand final he took Steele Sidebottom out of the game which went a long way to WC winning the GF given Sidebottom had brained the other finalists the Pies had played and was on fire..

Stewart Dew has been using Jack Bowes to tag the opposing teams best mids and he has done a fair job on Fyfe and Bontempelli in recent weeks, I'd expect him and Holman to rotate on Cripps....

Reply #8
A reasonable win tomorrow and we could jump up to 16th on the ladder.  Come on, some positivity here!

Reply #9
A reasonable win tomorrow and we could jump up to 16th on the ladder.  Come on, some positivity here!

Blues by 5 goals...not sure why some are using this game as a final verdict on our future or a sack the coach game if we lose...GC like I said on the other thread have fluked a few wins
but are not a benchmark team for anything....they could fluke another win but that doesnt mean we are worse or better than last year and we need a
bigger sample size vs better rated teams to judge where we are...

Reply #10
Blues by 5 goals...not sure why some are using this game as a final verdict on our future or a sack the coach game if we lose...GC like I said on the other thread have fluked a few wins[?]
but are not a benchmark team for anything....they could fluke another win but that doesnt mean we are worse or better than last year and we need a
bigger sample size vs better rated teams to judge where we are...

Why do your posts have paragraph breaks in odd spots EB?  It detracts from the content of your posts.

I think we'll pulverise GC tomorrow and that should set us up for some more positive results.  Would I put money on us winning?  Probably not  :)

Reply #11
How did the Bullies pregame turn into the G.C.  Pregame??

Reply #12
Why do your posts have paragraph breaks in odd spots EB?  It detracts from the content of your posts.

I think we'll pulverise GC tomorrow and that should set us up for some more positive results.  Would I put money on us winning?  Probably not  :)

DJ ..Probably developed the shorthand point form/ extended dotted paragraphs through work as an elec engineer over the years, eg instructions to electrical fitters etc tended
to be short/basic in form and sometimes the technical subtlety's of wordsmithing are lost in favour of content.
Wasnt you who put 550K on Winx today to win 33K?, think I prefer our odds. :)

Reply #13
DJ ..Probably developed the shorthand point form/ extended dotted paragraphs through work as an elec engineer over the years, eg instructions to electrical fitters etc tended
to be short/basic in form and sometimes the technical subtlety's of wordsmithing are lost in favour of content.
Wasnt you who put 550K on Winx today to win 33K?, think I prefer our odds. :)

What platform are you operating on EB? I have found that the text editor on some phones can cause random line breaks.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #14

Yep, and that's exactly what Ed did when he hit his straps, he won his own ball.
Finals, then 4 in a row!