Skip to main content
Topic: SSM Plebiscite (Read 114456 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: SSM Plebiscite

Reply #345
This NO campaign has not been run on bullying & hate from most of what I have seen. It doesn't mean what they are campaigning for is the right cause, but in the main most people I have seen showing any inclination of voting no, have done in a respectful manner, the same can't be said for those on the other side of the campaign.

Perhaps. From what i can tell its based on lies and mistruths.

I think the bullying from the 'yes' side is because they are fed up with 'logic' (read - complete lack of logic) from that side. Certainly doesn't make it right. But its like arguing with an idiot...

Reply #346

I think the bullying from the 'yes' side is because they are fed up with 'logic' (read - complete lack of logic) from that side. Certainly doesn't make it right. But its like arguing with an idiot...

Is it though Kruddler
Again take the Sydney Uni example... They are saying "It is okay to say no". Now they have a right to campaign and actively state they want people to vote no. But it isn't getting to that and people are actually threatening to stomp on their head...

Or an 18 year old is exercising her right to say also it is okay to say no and the employer fires her and brags to the world about having fired this bigot for "hate speech".
Only to backtrack when she realises that she might have broken the law.

I don't buy that argument Kruddler, because I don't see sensible engagement in discussion and allowing each side to voice their opinions.
And, I think almost everyone can see that those campaigning on the side of yes have been the worst in this plebiscite.

The yes side has shown no real interest in hearing any discussion on the topic. It is 100% parochial like it as a sports event.

Surely the easiest way (if forced down this road) is to allow those that are against to speak and to shut down actual arguments with facts and logic.
The YES side don't need to change the minds of those that are hell bent on NO. They need to persuade those who are unsure or leaning slightly away.
This could (I would have thought), been done through logic, regardless of whether or not the no side is being illogical.

Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #347

I would have to agree, although I know others won't. It's difficult to argue with axioms, or personal comfort levels.

Reply #348
Is it though Kruddler
Again take the Sydney Uni example... They are saying "It is okay to say no". Now they have a right to campaign and actively state they want people to vote no. But it isn't getting to that and people are actually threatening to stomp on their head...

Or an 18 year old is exercising her right to say also it is okay to say no and the employer fires her and brags to the world about having fired this bigot for "hate speech".
Only to backtrack when she realises that she might have broken the law.

I don't buy that argument Kruddler, because I don't see sensible engagement in discussion and allowing each side to voice their opinions.
And, I think almost everyone can see that those campaigning on the side of yes have been the worst in this plebiscite.

The yes side has shown no real interest in hearing any discussion on the topic. It is 100% parochial like it as a sports event.

Surely the easiest way (if forced down this road) is to allow those that are against to speak and to shut down actual arguments with facts and logic.
The YES side don't need to change the minds of those that are hell bent on NO. They need to persuade those who are unsure or leaning slightly away.
This could (I would have thought), been done through logic, regardless of whether or not the no side is being illogical.

I don't know what you've been following MIO but all the yes voters on here and in my circles are wanting to engage in a sensible argument and wanting to hear what the no voters have to say. Remember i asked you why your son said no? I haven't heard IMHO, a legitimate argument for 'no' thus far. Now i'm sure the no-voters could say the same thing about the yes side.....but there are also flat-earth people who'd do similar....with about the same amount of logic.

Maybe we hang in different circles, but your experiences during this debate are vastly different to mine.

Reply #349
Kruddler
I think in circles of friends and acquaintances most people are being respectful.
But you only need to look at what is happening when people voice an opinion in the negative online to see how vocal the crowd is and it is a feeling that is reverberating throughout a lot of people watching from the sidelines.

Yet I bet within the confines of the people they are talking with in a friendly manner the discussion in cordial.

What I am addressing is the public campaigning and I gave you just 2 examples, but it isn't hard to find many others through such places as public Facebook posts to see the reactions.

I haven't considered this forum as not being cordial, but there is not anyone actively against, despite the fact I am 100% certain there are those who will vote against. The same goes with your group of friends and family. Part of that is that it is easier to go along with what others say, but then not actually address the reasons that will hold a person back from voting yes.

The number one reason I believe people will vote NO, will be simply their belief (whether religious or what they consider to be right) that marriage is a union between man and woman. Now to my knowledge people are allowed to feel like that and historical context suggests that this has been the case thought basically every society since the dawn of time.

Now a sensible way to discuss that might be to discuss that whilst biologically humans are made in the form that male mates with female, we have a greater sense of understanding/decision making than other species and with that we have the ability to realise that not everything that doesn't conform to the standard is a threat. That preventing SSM isn't going to change a reality that people will love who they choose.

That is just an example, but that discussion is being held. A person is instantly targeted as a bigot, that they are attempting to deny people's human right and they don't even want to engage in the discussion.

I didn't ask my son to elaborate (and would not have posted his response if he did), simply because I didn't want him to feel judged by me (and I wouldn't have allowed the judgement here). The truth is that a lot of teenage kids (and boys in particular) I think are a bit insensitive (around their friends) and it is a fact their judgment isn't fully developed until their early 20s. So unless I thought his reasons were borne through hatred, I didn't see a need to press him

Not everyone is able to stand up for their opinion in the fact of others shouting them down and so many are saying little and will just vote when the time comes.

Btw out of my friends, I don't think I have heard anyone state they are voting no either (though I am sure some will).
In fact I am one of the view who are openly stating that I am not voting
But your personal experience isn't what I am getting at with the respectfulness of this campaign. You aren't voting no and by your admission you don't believe anyone you know is... So I don't see how personal experience is reflective of what is happening when people are voicing intent to vote NO to the SSM question.

Which means you could only be relying on reading / watching as I am.
If you haven't noticed the different intents/tones of the debates... then perhaps yes we are watching this debate very differently.
\
Goals for 2017
=============

Reply #350
In my circles, it's mixed. My brother and my parents-in-law voted no. Parents at my daughters school, a few neighbors, and people I see out and about all voted yes.

Reply #351
In my circles, it's mixed. My brother and my parents-in-law voted no. Parents at my daughters school, a few neighbors, and people I see out and about all voted yes.

So have your brother and parents-in-law posted their intent to vote no online?
And have they made those posts public?

I am not saying they should, I am just interested in the response if they have.
I am yet to see companies (for example) come out saying they don't support.
That isn't because no business owners are voting "NO".
It is because they are not going to risk their business through being accused of being bigoted, calls to boycott etc.
Goals for 2017
=============

Reply #352
I just want to hear one solid, non-religious argument from someone who has/will vote no. I respect peoples entitlement to their opinion and hence can vote however they like. Just help me understand.
For me, the big issue is the lack of leadership by Turnbull. Its a huge waste of money and has created division and angst. He just should shown some nuts and changed the marriage act, like Little Johnny did, and made a hero of himself. Even if he got the ass over it, he could have looked back in years to come and be able to say "I made a difference".
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #353
So have your brother and parents-in-law posted their intent to vote no online?
And have they made those posts public?

I am not saying they should, I am just interested in the response if they have.
I am yet to see companies (for example) come out saying they don't support.
That isn't because no business owners are voting "NO".
It is because they are not going to risk their business through being accused of being bigoted, calls to boycott etc.

Not as far as I'm aware. My parents-in-law were at lunch with friends of theirs (another couple, same age group, mid 70's), and these friends voted yes and poo pooed my in-laws for voting no. That's about as public as their revelations have gone, afaik.

Reply #354
The number one reason I believe people will vote NO, will be simply their belief (whether religious or what they consider to be right) that marriage is a union between man and woman. Now to my knowledge people are allowed to feel like that and historical context suggests that this has been the case thought basically every society since the dawn of time.

Which as i said earlier, is based on lies and mistruths.

Their 'belief' may be that, but the reality is far different.

Something i heard on the radio the other day disproved this logic/argument and highlighted the changes that have been made to the marriage act both here and abroad.

As for the debate, in all honesty i don't actively seek it out. But i read on facebook, i hear it on the radio. It might be talked about on the TV. I know its been mentioned on Q+A a few times. That, together with friends/family discussions paints a very different picture to what you have been painting.
Sure, i stay away from news shows, deliberately, and the newspaper. No doubt i've missed a lot of things because of it, but i've also missed a lot of biased reporting in regards to it as well.

As for trying to have this debate among family/friends, there is no debate to have. Everyone is so pro-yes that its not even worth discussing as nobody disagrees with any of it. We don't go campaign for it. We don't force our views on anyone. We are pretty curious as to how anyone could be against it and are pretty gobsmacked that there is even a 'debate' to begin with.

Reply #355

Something i heard on the radio the other day disproved this logic/argument and highlighted the changes that have been made to the marriage act both here and abroad.

As for the debate, in all honesty i don't actively seek it out. But i read on facebook, i hear it on the radio. It might be talked about on the TV. I know its been mentioned on Q+A a few times. That, together with friends/family discussions paints a very different picture to what you have been painting.
Sure, i stay away from news shows, deliberately, and the newspaper. No doubt i've missed a lot of things because of it, but i've also missed a lot of biased reporting in regards to it as well.

As for trying to have this debate among family/friends, there is no debate to have. Everyone is so pro-yes that its not even worth discussing as nobody disagrees with any of it. We don't go campaign for it. We don't force our views on anyone. We are pretty curious as to how anyone could be against it and are pretty gobsmacked that there is even a 'debate' to begin with.

My thoughts exactly.

Reply #356
I just want to hear one solid, non-religious argument from someone who has/will vote no. I respect peoples entitlement to their opinion and hence can vote however they like. Just help me understand.
For me, the big issue is the lack of leadership by Turnbull. Its a huge waste of money and has created division and angst. He just should shown some nuts and changed the marriage act, like Little Johnny did, and made a hero of himself. Even if he got the ass over it, he could have looked back in years to come and be able to say "I made a difference".

This is it for me.

I cannot understand why anyone would NOT vote yes.
Every single thing i've heard is based on complete and utter BS that has no facts attached to it, but people believe it.
Lies and mistruths.

Reply #357

I am genuinely interested.
You are saying that traditionally marriages have been same sex?
I know that certainly going back to ancient Greece, Egypt, the Middle East etc that it was very clear that Same Sex unions were completely acceptable.
I was always generally of the belief that whilst this was the case, generally a relationship would be between an older and younger male and the relationship would almost be one of mentor and mentee. I also believe that these were not actually "official unions" and that in these cases the older man would also have a wife.

Now I don't claim to be an expert or even someone reasonably well read on the topic at all, so if that is not true, then more than happy to hear otherwise and that is the type of information that should be the information used to help persuade.

That is the type of sensible discussion that could have an impact, however name calling certainly won't.

Goals for 2017
=============

Reply #358
I am genuinely interested.
You are saying that traditionally marriages have been same sex?
I know that certainly going back to ancient Greece, Egypt, the Middle East etc that it was very clear that Same Sex unions were completely acceptable.
I was always generally of the belief that whilst this was the case, generally a relationship would be between an older and younger male and the relationship would almost be one of mentor and mentee. I also believe that these were not actually "official unions" and that in these cases the older man would also have a wife.

Now I don't claim to be an expert or even someone reasonably well read on the topic at all, so if that is not true, then more than happy to hear otherwise and that is the type of information that should be the information used to help persuade.

That is the type of sensible discussion that could have an impact, however name calling certainly won't.

No, well not from what i heard, but as you pointed out it could have been possible.

I was only half listening, but i believe the debate centered around the rights of marriage have always been the same and should never change.
IIRC, it used to be ok to marry a 16yo. Obviously now, that is no longer the case.
I think there was a couple other variations along the same lines.

Essentially the debate of 'You can't change what a marriage represents as its always been the same' was debunked because it was an ever shifting landscape that has indeed been changed previously.

Changing it to include same sex is the next incarnation of it, just like the change to remove 'kids' from it was previously.

Reply #359
No, well not from what i head, but as you pointed out it could have been possible.

I was only half listening, but i believe the debate centered around the rights of marriage have always been the same and should never change.
IIRC, it used to be ok to marry a 16yo. Obviously now, that is no longer the case.
I think there was a couple other variations along the same lines.

Essentially the debate of 'You can't change what a marriage represents as its always been the same' was debunked because it was an ever shifting landscape that has indeed been changed previously.

Changing it to include same sex is the next incarnation of it, just like the change to remove 'kids' from it was previously.

I don't think people would be arguing that a marriage law can't change parameters, that would be very easy to shoot down as society changes.
No I think more, there will be people who believe that marriage has and should represent a union of man and women. That traditionally it has (throughout most/all societies historically) and that biologically man and women are meant to be together, whether determined by God or just through evolution.

But an argument to the strict interpretation of marriage within Australia wouldn't make any sense, for the reasons already pointed out.
Goals for 2017
=============