Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 9 2024 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 3045 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 9 2024 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #15
Geelong are posers we should have won that game last week if it wasn't for meek defensive efforts from the usual suspects - giving away goals like lollies.

Better defensively against the Filth and Gov is coming back which will settle and reinforce the defence a little bit more.

Reply #16
Geelong are posers we should have won that game last week if it wasn't for meek defensive efforts from the usual suspects - giving away goals like lollies.

Better defensively against the Filth and Gov is coming back which will settle and reinforce the defence a little bit more.
Right this very minute, I say we are the posers and better rectify it quickly if we want to contend.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #17
Right this very minute, I say we are the posers and better rectify it quickly if we want to contend.
Agree.....the Voss reaction with Cerra on the boundary shows he isnt happy and Id expect a few home truths and back to basics football vs Melbourne with defense ,manning up as a priority and sticking to the game plan.

Reply #18
Agree.....the Voss reaction with Cerra on the boundary shows he isnt happy and Id expect a few home truths and back to basics football vs Melbourne with defense ,manning up as a priority and sticking to the game plan.
Its not panic stations yet but we need to beat the Colls, the Geels, etc. Right now with Freo beating Rich, we are sitting 8th.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #19
Its not panic stations yet but we need to beat the Colls, the Geels, etc. Right now with Freo beating Rich, we are sitting 8th.
Got a few big heads drinking their own bathwater and forgetting about doing the hard stuff hoping stalwarts Cripps, Weitering etc will save the day. We lost the clearances to a depleted Pies midfield ...that should never , never happen if we want to win the big games.

Reply #20
Got a few big heads drinking their own bathwater and forgetting about doing the hard stuff hoping stalwarts Cripps, Weitering etc will save the day. We lost the clearances to a depleted Pies midfield ...that should never , never happen if we want to win the big games.
But lets just blame umpiring decisions shall we🤦🏻
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #21

8th place, with the 8th best % (which is low for a side with top 4 aspirations). Sharp feedback saying that we are where we belong at this time. No better.

We've done a lot of talking the talk, but nowhere enough walking the talk.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #22
The next 4 weeks defines 2024 for us - either contending for a top 4 spot, or scrambling to make the 8.

Wonder if we can borrow Ed Curnow's BBQ patch again this week.....?
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #23
Lost three of four since the decision was made to play two rucks and took away run.
Just not happening. Needs to change - if we persist with it then Pitto needs to do alot more. Needs to either tackle more or take more marks... expecting both is abit much but if he is going to drop marks then he needs to tackle. TDK was tracking nicely in all three categories before moving him forward. He was tackling, marking and winning clearances not as many as Pitto but he has a more balanced A grade type game thats growing. Can't take run away from this team against the Dees. imo

Reply #24
The current problems have nothing to do with our ruck or midfield, claiming it's the ruck at fault is a confusion of correlation versus causation, and the assertion about the ruck causes a distraction that lets the real issues slip by without being addressed / discussed.

The rucks / midfield didn't;
 - Cause Williams to be penalised.
 - Allow Pendlebury to kick it OOBOTF
 - Ignore the holds on BigH and Charlie.
 - Allow Maynard and Schulz to drop it cold.
 - Cause the frequent poor uncontested disposal going into F50.
 - Cause injuries to Martin, McGovern, Saad, Marchbank, Fogarty and et., al..
 - Permit Fantasia and Durdin to play on largely free of contributions to the match.

Yet the fan overreaction seems to be to pick this moment to force one of our rucks to go solo for four quarters against Gawn.

So the fan tactical plan is to make one of the few areas we are winning at the moment, and turn it into a potential loser! :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #25
Lost three of four since the decision was made to play two rucks and took away run.
Just not happening. Needs to change - if we persist with it then Pitto needs to do alot more. Needs to either tackle more or take more marks... expecting both is abit much but if he is going to drop marks then he needs to tackle. TDK was tracking nicely in all three categories before moving him forward. He was tackling, marking and winning clearances not as many as Pitto but he has a more balanced A grade type game thats growing. Can't take run away from this team against the Dees. imo
I thought Pittonet played a decent game...he got away with a bit too pushing the Pies rucks away from the ball with two hands well before the ball arrived imho, he will need to do that to Gawn and hopefully slow him down so TDK can jump all over him later.
While Im not a fan of two ruckman every game I think vs Melb with Gawn its sensible to try and wear him down and negate his influence. We will probably get slaughtered in the hitouts but if we can prevent him directing them and taking marks around the ground it will go a long way to winning the game and I think Pittonet getting his big frame in the packs might help our mids as the Dees have some strong bodies around the ball like we do and it will be a war of attrition given the short turn around  with both teams having played tough games.

Reply #26
................. I think Pittonet getting his big frame in the packs might help our mids as the Dees have some strong bodies around the ball like we do and it will be a war of attrition given the short turn around  with both teams having played tough games.
Agreed, I think the bigger problem for us it that the form lines are heading in the wrong directions, they are on the up and we are on the slide!

If we thought Elliott got an armchair ride, wait until you see Petracca up close, if Pitto, Hewett or Kennedy even brush a forearm hair against Petracca's passing frame it'll be free kick and 50m!

After a week of the media blasting the AFL over "holding the ball" and "Incorrect disposal", I'm pegging the first fan shock of next Thursday night will be Kysaiah being awarded a free kick for poleaxing Walsh or Cripps at a stoppage causing them to drop the footy, that is generally exactly how the AFL roll!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #27
Agreed, I think the bigger problem for us it that the form lines are heading in the wrong directions, they are on the up and we are on the slide!

If we thought Elliott got an armchair ride, wait until you see Petracca up close, if Pitto, Hewett or Kennedy even brush a forearm hair against Petracca's passing frame it'll be free kick and 50m!

After a week of the media blasting the AFL over "holding the ball" and "Incorrect disposal", I'm pegging the first fan shock of next Thursday night will be Kysaiah being awarded a free kick for poleaxing Walsh or Cripps at a stoppage causing them to drop the footy. That is generally exactly how the AFL roll!
See Fritsch...getting dubious frees..

Reply #29
Dubious frees are a part of the game but missing run, ground ball winners and being clean in contest is a coaching thing.