Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW - General discussion thread (Read 9741 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Re: 2019 AFLW Votes - Round 5 vs Pies

Reply #30
Just leave it as it is.  The spectacle will improve as players and coaches learn on the job and fitness and conditioning evolves.

The umpiring is the only issue that needs urgent attention.

Revolutionary!

The AFL can't help but fix the issue any way they know how/can, because thats their Modus Operandi.

I keep telling everyone that sports tactics evolve organically.  The more you tinker about with the game, the harder that is to occur, because actions produce reactions.

Other sports see tactics go through ongoing refinement to get to where they are today and incorporate many different styles into one, and the teams that are most succesful are usually the ones best place to "counter punch" when plan A doesnt work.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Re: Re: 2019 AFLW Votes - Round 5 vs Pies

Reply #31
There 0.5s difference between men and women at the Olympic 100m, and the girls run the marathon in 2hr 15m which is not far off men at 2hr 01m.

I doubt you could even notice the difference on a football field without video analysis, unless it was a straight up footrace from FB to FF!

Probably the biggest visible issue is kicking power, but it's improving all the time. Regardless about 50% of all kicks for both men and women are wasted.

re Bold....
...and in both cases they have been doing a hell of a lot more training that 3 pre-seasons worth.

Let the little 5yo girls now train their whole lives to become AFLW stars of the game of the future and THEN judge the game.

100+ years ago, the blokes weren't scoring more than a couple goals a game. Lucky we didn't can it then.

Re: AFLW - General discussion thread

Reply #32
There's another variable involved here...

No matter how the women's game develops you will never have a participation rate amongst female footballers to rival that of the men.

You will always be drawing from a much smaller talent pool.

Reply #33
It'll be interesting long term, there isn't a bottomless pit of money and resources, as the girls inevitably achieve wage parity it has to affect the wages and resources on the mens side of the competition. At that point the expectations around performance will grow, certainly from a purely corporate perspective this in inevitable, if you want to be professional and earn professional wages you have to commit and perform like a professional. It is a head to head competition with peers about who gets the resources and the money.

At this stage there remains many professional females still want the part time thing, they want to be a full-time professional earning a professional wage, but many still want to be a mum. I'll probably get lambasted for writing that but reality is it won't be men undermining this desire, it'll be other women who are not interested in having kids and see their career success being affected by divided loyalties. There is no bigger bastard to female athletes than other female athletes! They won't hesitate in telling associates that they can be a mum when their career is done!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #34
Women's soccer has grown into a mature sport now imo and from what I have seen of it (not a huge amount) the standard and skill levels are pretty high. Not sure yet whether footy will reach those heights (I confess to having seen a lot less of that), remains to be seen I guess. I'm not such a fan as yet mainly because I have time limits on the amount of sport I can or am prepared to watch - which is mainly AFL atm. However, any sport has to provide a highly skilled spectacle to be ultimately successful in the commercial sense these days, well at least imo.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #35
Women's soccer has grown into a mature sport now imo and from what I have seen of it (not a huge amount) the standard and skill levels are pretty high. Not sure yet whether footy will reach those heights (I confess to having seen a lot less of that), remains to be seen I guess. I'm not such a fan as yet mainly because I have time limits on the amount of sport I can or am prepared to watch - which is mainly AFL atm. However, any sport has to provide a highly skilled spectacle to be ultimately successful in the commercial sense these days, well at least imo.

I agree Cookie2, the fan base is just another divided resource, I gather that is why the AFL has quickly moved the AFLW outside of the AFL season.

Ultimately, I want to watch good football be it men or women, preferably that involves Carlton winning. I've been surprised to find my wife interested in AFLW, she normally hates female sport especially the tennis and other non-contact efforts. But when she saw some of the head on aggression at contests in the AFLW she was won over.

One thing, I read Leigh Matthews comments about shorter quarters for AFL, I'd have no qualms in giving this a try at AFLW to increase the general intensity and urgency of play. I'd even like to see it trialled at VFL and TAC Cup level. I don't think that will take away from the height advantage tall players have late in games which I think must be retained to ensure we do not change the flavor of the game. I just think coaches and players would go harder and faster earlier with shorter periods of momentum management.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #36
Cracking game on at the moment. Dees vs Dogs. 3/4 time, 1 point in it.

Good skills on display. Nice goal slotted from 40m out on the boundary. Set up from a nice kick inside 50 from ex Blues player Maddie Gay. Also Bianca Jakobbson (former blue from season 1) showing some nice skills and desperation, both now at the dees.

Nice, legal, shephard sat Katie Brennan on behind. She struggled back to her feet clearly shook up.

Dogs with not much to play for. Dees looking to keep their finals hopes alive.

Reply #37
Freo vs Kangas is at half time.

Winner takes 2nd in conference A.

Currently Freo are up 26 to 7 at home.  :o

Kangas need to work our where their goals are otherwise they won't be playing finals this year.

They were absolutely favourites to win the thing early on. Biggest choke in AFLW?

Reply #38
Update. Dockers by 29 points halfway through the last.

Looks like we are playing them week 1, @ Ikon.  ;D

Reply #39
Update. Dockers by 29 points halfway through the last.

Looks like we are playing them week 1, @ Ikon.  ;D

Alot better than playing Adelaide!!! Freo's gone damn well but Adelaide looks a powerhouse.

Reply #40
Alot better than playing Adelaide!!! Freo's gone damn well but Adelaide looks a powerhouse.

We were beating them by 17 points late in the 3rd quarter in R2.
Without Harris playing, and without a couple others that have proven a class above some of the girls who got games early.
Yes, they were also without Randell who had 'pretendinitis'.

But.....much better than playing North.

We'll get Freo @ Ikon....and fingers crossed if we win, we'll get the GF @ ikon too.

Reply #41
Pies up by 8 points at 3-4 qtr time....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #42
Finals sorted

Blues vs Dockers
Cats vs Crows

Winners play off in the GF in 2 weeks

Reply #43
Finals sorted

Blues vs Dockers
Cats vs Crows

Winners play off in the GF in 2 weeks
We play at Ikon. The other game I think is in Adelaide.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #44
What is the Kruddler Ladies Lounge Group ?