42 - Tuohy
[ 5 ] (5.7%)
43 - White
[ 4 ] (4.5%)
46 - Ellard (subbed off)
[ 7 ] (8%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Voting closed: May 23, 2014, 09:56:11 pm

Topic: R8 - WORST on ground vs Saints (Read 21772 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: R8 - WORST on ground vs Saints

Reply #30
Hendo had a bit of a shocker, seems either out of form or injured.

Henderson had a really bad start to the season in 2011 after an injury interrupted pre-season (hip). He spent a lot of time in the VFL (only one game up to Round 12.)
He came in during the second half of the year and finished the season off well.

He also had hip problems during this last pre-season which no doubt has interrupted his preparation.
He's probably a player that needs that good foundation.
Look to him to get better as the year goes on.

Didnt he have a second operation through the NAB challenge matches this year.. ?

Reply #31
lol at those given Simon White votes...

He Kept Sipposs and the resting Ruckman to 0.2 and was solid in all that he did.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #32
I really hate these types of threads..

Reply #33
lol at those given Simon White votes...

He Kept Sipposs and the resting Ruckman to 0.2 and was solid in all that he did.

Agree, both White and Rowe put in very respectable performances IMO.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #34
Even performance...no worst on ground IMO...most players did something useful....

Reply #35
Even performance...no worst on ground IMO...most players did something useful....

I sort of thought the same way, but I had to pick three so I went with poor decisions or the odd error.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #36
Hardly touched it?? He took 7 marks and I'd suggest at a guess all were contested... He worked his @ss off around the ground and crashed packs repeatedly...  Im going to take a guess here and predict that most of you who have him in the worst, maybe watched it on TV and were't at the game.. I could be wrong, but gee, there's no way I could even dream about putting him in the worst players.. At the game, he busted his guts the whole game and took some fantastic marks..

7 marks, correct. Only one contested.

Hardly touched it? He had 10 touches, only Garlett (sub), Daisy and White had less touches. 40% of them were deemed effective.

Its not easy to find 3 players clearly worse than him, but to say there was only 3 better is a big stretch.

Reply #37
Hardly touched it?? He took 7 marks and I'd suggest at a guess all were contested... He worked his @ss off around the ground and crashed packs repeatedly...  Im going to take a guess here and predict that most of you who have him in the worst, maybe watched it on TV and were't at the game.. I could be wrong, but gee, there's no way I could even dream about putting him in the worst players.. At the game, he busted his guts the whole game and took some fantastic marks..

7 marks, correct. Only one contested.

Hardly touched it? He had 10 touches, only Garlett (sub), Daisy and White had less touches. 40% of them were deemed effective.

Its not easy to find 3 players clearly worse than him, but to say there was only 3 better is a big stretch.

What the hell is considered a contested mark?  He had an opponent on him or on his tail in every mark I can think of..   His work rate and willingness to present time after time is something that can only be seen at the ground... He was great last night.. I dont withdraw those comments.. Maybe top 4 was me being over the top, but I have him in my top 5 to 8 for sure...  Put it this way, I walked out of the ground very very happy with him..
You even admitted you gave him worst on ground because he kicked 3 points instead of 3 goals.. 

Reply #38
What were his "efforts" "chase" and "contest" stats ;)

Reply #40
Anyway, Thomas now in the three WOG two weeks in a row.
Everitt did on Montagna, but Everitt's impact around the ground is waning each game with me. Too many mistakes, short steps and gave away 50.

Struggle to see his role.

Understanding how the club B&F votes have gone in the past (acknowledgement for players who do their designated game day job well), I wouldn't be surprised if Everitt is in our top 10 at the moment. 

Reply #41
Guys we are not going to agree.  It's a forum.  Opinions will differ, it's why we all get a vote.

If they were bad, odds are they will poll well in this topic.  If someone has a barrow to push they'll get the odd vote and most won't agree.  It doesn't have to result in a mass debate.  We saw the match, we formed opinions based on what we saw.

Levi was not terrible, but you didn't have to be to end up in our bottom three for last night. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #42
I voted for Ellard, and I don't understand why he keeps getting a game. He is short and slow. He is meant to be a defensive forward who can kick goals however his opponent constantly runs off him and creates a loose link man which puts enormous pressure on the backs. I acknowledge he is brave, a good kick for goal and good for his size overhead however I would have Armfield all day before him.

Reply #43
Guys we are not going to agree.  It's a forum.  Opinions will differ, it's why we all get a vote.

If they were bad, odds are they will poll well in this topic.  If someone has a barrow to push they'll get the odd vote and most won't agree.  It doesn't have to result in a mass debate.  We saw the match, we formed opinions based on what we saw.

Levi was not terrible, but you didn't have to be to end up in our bottom three for last night.

Agreed.

I doubt anybody will agree with me about Buckley, but I watched the replay last night and saw exactly what I saw on game day. How he rated 80% efficiency is a mystery, they must assume that if your disposal hits a team-mate irrespective of the circumstances it is efficient. Add to that his direct opponent was continually working inside stoppages as an extra player while Buckley stood 4m or 5m off the pack. He must be instructed to stay out of the stoppages in some circumstance, but even so you, cannot let your opponent have so much influence so far away from where you stand and watch. Being a spectator is one of AFLs biggest sins.

I was all over Casboult for not making contests, and I will be all over Buckley for doing the same. 8 good contests will mean nothing if at 2 others you do not even try, at those 2 you are resting at the expense of team-mates! But that is typical of younger players, and it is contrast by the likes of Simmo and Daisy who just never stop competing.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #44
Add to that his direct opponent was continually working inside stoppages as an extra player while Buckley stood 4m or 5m off the pack. He must be instructed to stay out of the stoppages in some circumstance, but even so you, cannot let your opponent have so much influence so far away from where you stand and watch. Being a spectator is one of AFLs biggest sins.
As you say, he may well be instructed to stay at that distance from the pack.  Most coaches insist on someone filling the "cover shoulder" role - playing that sort of distance from a pack either as a defensive outlet if we gain possession under pressure or to round up any player who receives handballs from the pack at top pace.  It's certainly one of the hardest things to coach at junior level.  I nag my boys about it during every game, but to no avail.  Any of my players whose opponent ventures towards a pack use that as an excuse to run to the pack.  Often, they just stand around and ball-watch as there's a limit to the number of kids who can be actively going after the ball.  Often, their opponents have sucked them in by dropping out of the pack and being there for the outlet handball.  Consequently, we have problems with holding the ball in as no one wants to "form the wall".  I wouldn't hang Buckley on that account.  If Malthouse wants him in the pack, he'll tell him to do that. 

Geelong has had great success without necessarily winning many stoppages.  They have relied heavily on their ability to win the ball back on the HB line and their spare drops back to help out at that level.  Stoppage wins are great, but only if you don't have to kick blindly under pressure.  You have to be able to get out of the contest and be able to look properly at your options.