Skip to main content
Topic: R8 - Blues vs Saints (Back on the winners list!) (Read 33011 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: R8 - Blues vs Saints (Back on the winners list!)

Reply #15
About the only thing I liked about the game was lots of players flying the flag, many scuffles. Looked good.
Oh and Menzel, pure class.

Everett has no confidence, every handball went backwards only a few kicks went forward and one was smothered off a free kick. ::)
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #16
Good to get the win.

But our skills are bloody atrocious.
Handballs missing the mark, kicks falling short.

Looked like the Metro boys took a step back to Auskick, thankfully the Aints are tripe.
Carrots, slower than escargot in garlic sauce !!

Reply #17
Great run from Yarran off HB, topping it off with a neat kick from 30 or so.  That's the sort of blistering run which will change the way teams play him.  If they play him tighter, then that's one forward we don't need to worry about in future. 

Menzel's coming along nicely.  Hope his LARS stands up to the rigours of footy.  On one of the TV footy shows last night, he was compared to Alan Didak insofar as having fantastic goal sense and goalkicking skills as well as the eagerness to assume the responsibility of taking the shot. 

Saw the "pluck" again.  A Saints player won a wrestle with his own player for the ball as said team mate was on the ground wrapped up in a tackle.  Must have been an almighty effort to rip it free.  Or maybe his team mate just let it go.  Seems to me that there should be a ban on players "ripping" the ball out of their own team mate's hands, just as marks can't be awarded to a player who marks his own kick and a player is counted as having continuous possession if he handballs while running and catches it before it hits the ground.  But maybe they're trying to attract Rugby Union fans who'd be very familiar with that sort of hand off in a maul. 

Reply #18
@Mav
The rule in rugby union, at least when I played, was that that once tackled to the ground you had to release the ball and in a maul you had to be on your feet in order to pick up the ball. This I think was mainly designed to keep the ball alive and to stop teams shutting down play by lying on the ground and trapping the ball in.
Our equivalent seems to be having to make an obvious attempt to dispose of the ball legally.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #19
Really looked like the blues played that game as if they were entitled to win it.

That third quarter lapse was terrible.

Reply #20
Good effort from the boys. Good resolve and commitment.

Really hotly challenged in the 3rd and weathered it well. Been times in our recent history where that level of challenge would have seen us fold. Be good for the boys confidence to have weathered such intensity.

Our class got us over the line... Gibbs, Yarran, Murphy, Simmo, Menzel... too many for them to cover. Really encouraged by Docherty. Good to see Brock get some form back. Also good to see Everitt show a little mongrel... did a brilliant defensive job. Don't understand the criticisms of Levi... what we saw was continued improvement and if that stays with him he'll kick a bag sooner rather than later - for a big fella he is really agile, and not afraid to crunch packs. Rowe also continues to grow and actually is now surprising a few of us. Couple of really good contests against Riewoldt which he won (and that free kick Riewoldt got was the softest of the night - Chamberlain = pr1ck).

Good to have a win with a few important blokes down - Hendo, Tuohy, Ellard. Daisy was given a defensive role up forward which he did really well but also explained his stats... obviously a strategy to help run him back into form. White was solid but that's about it.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #21
Our equivalent seems to be having to make an obvious attempt to dispose of the ball legally.
Replace "obvious" with "insincere" and that's the way I see it. 

Reply #23
Really looked like the blues played that game as if they were entitled to win it.

That third quarter lapse was terrible.

I think we played at a consistent level throughout the game but the Saints played in patches and didn't make the most of their hard work.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #24
Game would have been over at quarter time had we kicked straight luckily for us Saints were just as inaccurate in the 3rd quarter. Still 3 wins from the last 4 is not too bad with the next 2 matches winnable.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #25
What do others think?
When that 'touched' score was judged to be a point it appeared that they used the camera on the goal umpire's head.  I thought that the umpire was standing slightly behind the line which gave a skewed view showing that the ball was not quite completely over the line.  If the camera had been on the line that angle would have shown that the ball was indeed over the line.  I do not have the advantage of a replay to confirm this but perhaps one of you can.

Reply #26
Looked close enough chalky. My call was a point. Pity would've been great for 501's confidence.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #27
What do others think?
When that 'touched' score was judged to be a point it appeared that they used the camera on the goal umpire's head.  I thought that the umpire was standing slightly behind the line which gave a skewed view showing that the ball was not quite completely over the line.  If the camera had been on the line that angle would have shown that the ball was indeed over the line.  I do not have the advantage of a replay to confirm this but perhaps one of you can.

At the end of the day you are just splitting hairs. The ump called it touched, the replay couldn't confirm a goal confidently so it's a behind. We move on. Wouldve been a great goal otherwise ;)
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #28
Great run from Yarran off HB, topping it off with a neat kick from 30 or so.  That's the sort of blistering run which will change the way teams play him.  If they play him tighter, then that's one forward we don't need to worry about in future. 

Menzel's coming along nicely.  Hope his LARS stands up to the rigours of footy.  On one of the TV footy shows last night, he was compared to Alan Didak insofar as having fantastic goal sense and goalkicking skills as well as the eagerness to assume the responsibility of taking the shot. 

Saw the "pluck" again.  A Saints player won a wrestle with his own player for the ball as said team mate was on the ground wrapped up in a tackle.  Must have been an almighty effort to rip it free.  Or maybe his team mate just let it go.  Seems to me that there should be a ban on players "ripping" the ball out of their own team mate's hands, just as marks can't be awarded to a player who marks his own kick and a player is counted as having continuous possession if he handballs while running and catches it before it hits the ground.  But maybe they're trying to attract Rugby Union fans who'd be very familiar with that sort of hand off in a maul.

In a game of over 100 tackles, to have 2 holding the balls shows how far the other way the rule has gone.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #29
Good to see the kids and new additions in Docherty, Menzel, Buckley and Everitt doing ell.
Rowe and White, who were close to being delisted last year, playing solidly down back.
Yazz playing out of his skin - Micks tough love last year has done the job.
Levi improving.
Warnock is more tenacious at the contests
Signs of a rebuild / rejuvenation of the side without it being labeled a rebuild.

Oh, and senior core of Gibbs, Murphy, Simpson  have all stood up for the most part since the Dees game. Maybe the penny has finally dripped.