Skip to main content
Topic: R8 - Blues vs Saints (Back on the winners list!) (Read 33009 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: R8 - Blues vs Saints (Back on the winners list!)

Reply #30
Great run from Yarran off HB, topping it off with a neat kick from 30 or so.  That's the sort of blistering run which will change the way teams play him.  If they play him tighter, then that's one forward we don't need to worry about in future. 

Menzel's coming along nicely.  Hope his LARS stands up to the rigours of footy.  On one of the TV footy shows last night, he was compared to Alan Didak insofar as having fantastic goal sense and goalkicking skills as well as the eagerness to assume the responsibility of taking the shot. 

Saw the "pluck" again.  A Saints player won a wrestle with his own player for the ball as said team mate was on the ground wrapped up in a tackle.  Must have been an almighty effort to rip it free.  Or maybe his team mate just let it go.  Seems to me that there should be a ban on players "ripping" the ball out of their own team mate's hands, just as marks can't be awarded to a player who marks his own kick and a player is counted as having continuous possession if he handballs while running and catches it before it hits the ground.  But maybe they're trying to attract Rugby Union fans who'd be very familiar with that sort of hand off in a maul.

In a game of over 100 tackles, to have 2 holding the balls shows how far the other way the rule has gone.

@ Mav totally agree with the Yarran scenario also have said Menzel will start to show us how good he is then get injured, also the grabbing the ball out of your own players hands is incorrect disposal.

@ Shadesy it seemed to me the Saints players had a lot more latitude from the umps when they were tackled.

Reply #31
I thought last night was all about the next wave. Menzel showed again that he is already in the top few players at the club and the message may have finally got through the iron skull of Mick, along with Yarran, Buckley and Docherty (who I have been pleasantly surprised with). Would love there to be a KPP in that group!!!

Gibbs was immense, not as spectacular but I thought was the hardest he probably has ever worked. Rowe keeps keeping on and there is no one really to push him out. Everitt is starting to worry me, has become a bit deer in the headlights lately, dare I say it....

Was good to see Army again, I hate him most of the time but you can always count on him for effort and gives us run and breaks the lines which we lack.

We are still way off, but there are signs there that we are building. Game plan is becoming a bit eaasier to watch and is being tweeked I feel to allow for more dare and run. If we could get a few games into Giles this year I would be more optimistic about next year.

Reply #32
I see a win is bad for business on this site  :P

Closest AFL game to a nil all draw I've seen.  If they weren't keeping score I'd struggle to have picked a winner.

On the positive I liked what I saw from Menzel, Yazz, Buckley, Docherty and Casboult.  Although Casboult missed he still backed himself to have the shot, hopefully he comes good.  Also some of the older bridgade stood up when needed that was pleasing. 
Excuses year 1, blame year 2, contract extention year 3........

Reply #33
Hear yarran after the game say that he has so much confidence in any position he is put in now thanks to Mick. 
I don't think I've ever seen yarran play with so much confidence. It's great to see.
It was only a week or so ago Bucks was saying how great Mick has been for his confidence and growth aswell. Looks like Mick knows how to develop these young guys which is great to see.
Gee Menzel was fantastic last night. Turns the game on its head in one quarter.
Gibbs was fantastic, simmo excellent and Levi is coming on very well. I actually thought white and rowe were great too.
That Reiwoldt is a champion and I was very disappointed in our cheer squad starting a chant that he is a wankker. Far from it.
Well don't to everitt for keeping montagna to just 20 odd possessions.

Reply #34
I see a win is bad for business on this site  :P

Not only was it a Monday night game, it was not on FTA. It's like the AFL doesn't want people to watch.

What was the crowd BTW?

Reply #35
26 thousand odd.  Apparently, this was down on the 34k that came last year.

Strangely enough for a St Kilda home game, I didn't see any cheersquad for them.  When we put the game beyond doubt, the Saints supporters left and when Riewoldt was lining up for goal at the end I was near you could hear chants of "Riewoldt's a wanker!"  It certainly was the highlight of the game from my son's point of view  ;D

Reply #36
I thought Reiwoltd was a banker..  My mistake

Reply #37
I thought Reiwoltd was a banker..  My mistake

A "merchant banker"?  ;D
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #38
In Billings, Dunstan and Acres the Saints have rebuilt their midfield in one draft.  Chuck in a big player in this year's draft and their rebuild is well under way.

Billings is a nice replacement for Dal Santo....

Dunstan is impressive...probably better than Cripps at this stage but our boy has more upside...dare I use that word.

Acres....just went IMO.....doesnt have the nous of the other two.

Buckley, Menzel and Yarran showed their class and abilities allbeit vs second rate opposition.

Casboult is improving his ruckwork and continues to mark the footy as well as anyone

Docherty is a neat player......nice addition to a team that need skill by foot and some good decison making.

re: Rowe....improving and may get another year...

Reply #39
That Reiwoldt is a champion and I was very disappointed in our cheer squad starting a chant that he is a wankker. Far from it.

Ahhh, that must be why Goddard cut up badly on the radio!

Can't have his "putting"  ;) mate being bad mouthed!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #40
I only listened to the game on the radio, but it seems we were using the corridor a lot more, is that correct?

On another note, RE: Everitt- he reminds me of Paul Bower at times... Not a great sign
Why did the Carlton FC fall? So they could learn to pick themselves up.

Reply #41
Hear yarran after the game say that he has so much confidence in any position he is put in now thanks to Mick. 
I don't think I've ever seen yarran play with so much confidence. It's great to see.
It was only a week or so ago Bucks was saying how great Mick has been for his confidence and growth aswell. Looks like Mick knows how to develop these young guys which is great to see.
Gee Menzel was fantastic last night. Turns the game on its head in one quarter.
Gibbs was fantastic, simmo excellent and Levi is coming on very well. I actually thought white and rowe were great too.
Well don't to everitt for keeping montagna to just 20 odd possessions.

I was thinking last night that i can probably give a tick to Mick for his development of Yarran, on the other hand for the plaudits of Mick for Yarran he has destroyed the confidence of Garlett...

@ EB - Docherty is a natural replacement for Scotland. Moves like him and everything, reads the play well and can kick!
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #42
Yarran is back to his form of 2011. Not surprising considering he's played more of a role across HB this year. In the end a player with so much talent will always come good. I do however like the idea of switching him in between attack and defence.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #43
Yarran is back to his form of 2011. Not surprising considering he's played more of a role across HB this year. In the end a player with so much talent will always come good. I do however like the idea of switching him in between attack and defence.

PI2C Yarran started on the wing when Jones went to him he pushed fwd then for matchups went back, Yazz has become our swingman!!!

Reply #44
Even better. Always seen him as a winger!
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!