Skip to main content
Topic: Toughening up the princesses? (Read 16774 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Toughening up the princesses?

Reply #15
was just looking at the footage of MM going nuts from the boundary at walker - looked like something from a Hitler parody

Malthouse is good that way..no favourites, AW has been great all year but obviously didnt follow orders probably for not picking up Thomas and copped a bake and its should be the same for Murphy, Judd, Gibbs or any player regardless of stature at the club or previous runs on the board.

Reply #16
was just looking at the footage of MM going nuts from the boundary at walker - looked like something from a Hitler parody

Malthouse is good that way..no favourites, AW has been great all year but obviously didnt follow orders probably for not picking up Thomas and copped a bake and its should be the same for Murphy, Judd, Gibbs or any player regardless of stature at the club or previous runs on the board.

And sometimes he might be making a point about the play in general and is just mking it with Walker because he's the one of the senior ones on the bench at the time.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #17

And sometimes he might be making a point about the play in general and is just mking it with Walker because he's the one of the senior ones on the bench at the time.

Yeah, that's how I saw it Cimm.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #18
In a way it doesn't really matter whether he was talking about the game or more directly about Walkers performance. Its more the passion and the fact that whatever it was Walks would've been left no doubt what MM was on about.

At least we haven't seen the finger pointing that he did during his last gig which doesn't come across well on TV. His go at Green was more in the who gives a flying anyway.

RR is right though, there is starting to be a discernable difference and Lucas seems to be the  barometer, the perfect project player for MM to educate with lots of upside for everyone. Still ,  I enjoyed the way MM talked about Curnow after the game and it shows that MM isn't cherry picking and its a matter of pushing the right buttons for every player. It will be interesting to see who goes at the end of the season.

Reply #19
I like MM's philosophy "it's my way or the highway!" Any player who has a problem with what he wants to do and how he wants to do it will not be there sooner or later, and will be replaced with more willing people.

This is what we've needed for a long time - break up the cliques, break up the nests of favourites, clear out the white ants. Seen it many times over my career in the corporate world - leaders who don't do this fail.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #20
Allen's must be lamenting the decline in sales of snakes, haven't seen MM chewing an them yet... Or maybe the Hawker's coaching staff is now enjoying them.

Reply #21
Allen's must be lamenting the decline in sales of snakes, haven't seen MM chewing an them yet... Or maybe the Hawker's coaching staff is now enjoying them.

Mick's got the Starbursts going on - everyone is a winner.

Reply #22
I like MM's philosophy "it's my way or the highway!" Any player who has a problem with what he wants to do and how he wants to do it will not be there sooner or later, and will be replaced with more willing people.

This is what we've needed for a long time - break up the cliques, break up the nests of favourites, clear out the white ants. Seen it many times over my career in the corporate world - leaders who don't do this fail.

The old, "Some will some won't, so what next". Exit those who won't and enter those who will, without any feeling of any guilt at all. Build a team to will themselves to win. This is life. This is our team goal. Simple and fact. ;)
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #23
A leopard can’t change his spots but he might be able to change his shorts (Discworld reference for those who have no idea what I am on about), which can be useful if the shorts have pronounced skid marks from previous lack of endeavour.

Not sure if the players are finally getting it, becoming more courageous with maturity or just more scared of Malthouse but consider the following first round draft picks who have not been great in the intensity stakes.

Yarran is super-talented but has continued to be soft and lazy. MM's coaching efforts have been evident since the body language saga. Against the Swans he came on and made a couple of committed efforts before going missing in the final term. Against the Pies he made a couple of committed efforts in the first term (when the team was going well) but clearly didn't like the discomfort of physical contact and went missing thereafter. Against the ‘aints, he was noticeable in the way he tried to deliver the ball to teammates rather than his usual selfish solo efforts. Against the 'roos, he tackled effectively (instead of his usual passive efforts) and showed courage in some marking contests.

Despite having improved his output enough to be a regular senior player this year, Lucas has still shown regular glimpses of timidity but, in recent weeks, he has been winning some contested ball and also tackling with greater intensity.

Watson is still a liability when the ball hits the ground and he still lacks the speed to go with most tall forwards and to get to other contests to provide Jamo with some aerial assistance but he is finally playing with some intensity and, credit where credit’s due, his contested mark on Friday night was as big as Yarran’s in deciding the game and as good as anything I have seen him do in 3 years.

Another solid effort from Yaz who now seems willing to chase with intensity rather than thinking about it and deciding against it.

Lucas was so 'out of it' one would be inclined to believe he was 'out of it' after the solid knock early in the game.

The glacier was again worthy of his place in the team but I don't think that much of his opponent (Sam Day). Credit to the coaches for playing him in a way that has been beneficial to the team by allowing Hendo to move forward.

Reply #24
A leopard can’t change his spots but he might be able to change his shorts (Discworld reference for those who have no idea what I am on about), which can be useful if the shorts have pronounced skid marks from previous lack of endeavour.

Not sure if the players are finally getting it, becoming more courageous with maturity or just more scared of Malthouse but consider the following first round draft picks who have not been great in the intensity stakes.

Yarran is super-talented but has continued to be soft and lazy. MM's coaching efforts have been evident since the body language saga. Against the Swans he came on and made a couple of committed efforts before going missing in the final term. Against the Pies he made a couple of committed efforts in the first term (when the team was going well) but clearly didn't like the discomfort of physical contact and went missing thereafter. Against the ‘aints, he was noticeable in the way he tried to deliver the ball to teammates rather than his usual selfish solo efforts. Against the 'roos, he tackled effectively (instead of his usual passive efforts) and showed courage in some marking contests.

Despite having improved his output enough to be a regular senior player this year, Lucas has still shown regular glimpses of timidity but, in recent weeks, he has been winning some contested ball and also tackling with greater intensity.

Watson is still a liability when the ball hits the ground and he still lacks the speed to go with most tall forwards and to get to other contests to provide Jamo with some aerial assistance but he is finally playing with some intensity and, credit where credit’s due, his contested mark on Friday night was as big as Yarran’s in deciding the game and as good as anything I have seen him do in 3 years.

Another solid effort from Yaz who now seems willing to chase with intensity rather than thinking about it and deciding against it.

Lucas was so 'out of it' one would be inclined to believe he was 'out of it' after the solid knock early in the game.

The glacier was again worthy of his place in the team but I don't think that much of his opponent (Sam Day). Credit to the coaches for playing him in a way that has been beneficial to the team by allowing Hendo to move forward.

Vs Dockers

One step forward several steps back for Yarran - p1ss weak effort to match that of "half a million" Eddie.

One move forward looked better than back for the Glacier - played within his considerable limitations because he can mark in his hands when the ball is well delivered and he is not being physically pressured and he can kick - good move by MM to play him as a forward because he looked more likely to make it as a forward than he has looked to make it as a defender in three seasons - might have earned himself another year on the list.

Lucas wasn't brilliant but he did put in an effort.

Reply #25
I'm not a huge fan but it's hard to fault Watson since he was promoted this season.

Reply #26
I'm not a huge fan but it's hard to fault Watson since he was promoted this season.

He might make a good forward. He would be worth developing. Just needs a rocket up his clacker to make him work with more intensity. Good pair of hands, and usually a decent kick too. Has body size and height. Don't waste this kid just yet and let him play the remaining games as a forward option. It wouldn't hurt and would at minimum give him confidence, and raise his future trade value.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #27
I tend to argee with a lot of this thread RR.

This side has a lot of talent and when the game is played on their terms they play some sexy football.

Unfortunately the rest of the football community have worked out that if you dish it up to us we fold like a cheap suit.

I am not sure if it's physical weakness or mental but we don't seem to have "it" when the pressure is on.

I thought we played pretty good for 80% of the game on Saturday Night only to play like school kids for 5-8 minutes in the third when the Dockers kicked 5 of the easiest goals.

When you talk about defining moments we just don't have any.   We lack character.

Most are critical of Murphy and he is in a terrible patch of form, but no one on our list shows any sort of leadership.  Even Juddy is a "do as I do" leader.

Barassi used to live by the quote  "If it is to be it is up to me"

At the moment it's all a little bit too hard for our boys.

Reply #28
@Shakin
 Agree with that. It was emphasised again to me in the post match interview with Mathew Watson. OK he's only a kid still, but here we have another shy, softly spoken, passive sort of bloke who demonstrates little or no fire or passion. I just can't imagine him ever inspiring or rallying the troops in tough situations.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #29
I tend to argee with a lot of this thread RR.

This side has a lot of talent and when the game is played on their terms they play some sexy football.

Unfortunately the rest of the football community have worked out that if you dish it up to us we fold like a cheap suit.

I am not sure if it's physical weakness or mental but we don't seem to have "it" when the pressure is on.

It is weakness - mental. The football world knows when you put the heat on Carlton we fold. Hawthorn showed them the way now Essendon do it as well. The Dockers did it on Saturday night.

When you talk about defining moments we just don't have any.   We lack character.

And we have for some time. I said in earlier threads that we don't have real leaders and Judd is our only one currently. We don't develop leaders at Carlton - have a look at our off field leadership, it's not particularly strong either. Where is our spirit? Where is our fight? To often we fold when it get's tough. Anybody doubt Hawthorns resolve for next week after losing to Richmond? They will come out and make a statement and it won't be the coaches telling them they have to - they just do it.

Most are critical of Murphy and he is in a terrible patch of form, but no one on our list shows any sort of leadership.  Even Juddy is a "do as I do" leader.

That's another problem. Judd is a lead by example leader and it's coming to the point with his body now that he cannot be expected to do this as much (and isn't able week in week and week out). When Judd speaks the room falls silent - when Murph speaks players listen but is he a natural leader? Is he a leader you follow because of his deeds? Opposition clubs target the captain anyway and when you're also the premier mid fielder it's doubly hard.

Barassi used to live by the quote  "If it is to be it is up to me"

At the moment it's all a little bit too hard for our boys.

Some have the talent on our list but not enough of the stuff between the ears to make that next step up. I think our development at Carlton has been shocking largely and leadership is another area we lack and are paying for the sins of the past.