Skip to main content
Topic: RD 19 : Blues Lose To Frockers (Aftermatch Angst) (Read 55927 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RD 19 : Blues Lose To Frockers (Aftermatch Angst)

Reply #105
@CIMM

I respect you for sticking up for them but Murphy and Gibbs are very much the problem from where I sit. The club needs them to step up and grab it by the scruff of the neck but instead they're making elementary errors at crucial stages of the game and unable to impose themselves. Gibbs BOG? Cmon man seriously, his two errors alone in the last quarter that cost us any final chance demote him to bottom 10 for mine and he was average prior to that. Personally, I don't think Gibbs is focused enough down back and I don't think he's happy playing the role of a stopper week in week out. There will be clubs in his ear come contract time at the end of next season, with free agency he'll be able to walk to a club on the brink of success.

Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #106
And what about Walker last night? Possibly the worst game I've seen him play and you could tell Freo identified him as the weak link and tried to get him one out inside our defensive 50. He was just awful. When you have your early draft picks putting in performances like that at this stage of their careers you have to question where they're at mentally.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #107
Murphy had only 13 disposals – four kicks and nine handballs – to be the biggest under-performer in a badly-beaten midfield.

He was unable to break free of Crowley, but Malthouse did not accept that as an excuse.

"Top quality players set an agenda to absorb the tag," Malthouse said.

"This is a learning curve for Marc, there's no question about that, and we spoke about it after the game.

"The top quality midfielders over the last decade or so get tagged, and what differentiates you between being a good ordinary footballer and a very good footballer is your ability to learn the lessons from the last tagger, and take them into next week and say, 'Righto, this is what I've got to do.'"

So after 150 odd games and 7 years at the club our Murph is still going through the trials and tribulations of dealing with a tagger. We needed him in the middle last night but his inability to deliver when tagged forced Mick to play him forward instead. I can't think of any other reason why he would've played forward considering what other options we had down there as small forwards.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #108
Without condoning his effort or otherwise, the MC asking Gibbs to play on a bloke Mayne's size was asking too much.  I realise that McInnes and Duigan were unavailable, but what was wrong with picking Laidler as a third defensive option.  At different stages Armfield was sitting at CHB... unbelievable.

Ditto one of the three amigos should have been dropped for Menzel and Temay should have been running round, not Carazzo on one leg and half fit.

Our MC have burned us this year.  Zero common sense and foresight.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #109
If Mark Murphy went to the Swans, he would need to spend 2 months in the two's learning how to play footy both ways.

As would Yarran, Betts and Garlett

Reply #110
3 Amigos - apart from Garlett's goal on the bell, all three were disappointing
gibbs - not bad, but not flash either
watto - not bad up forward - who would've thunk it ? Kudos to Blue Phantom for calling it earlier
scotto - very good game - barely put a foot wrong - shame to see him go next year, if he does.
jamo - meh
judd - another typical judd game - tried valiantly all night, did some ok things, but not much influence
murf - not a great captains game, but can't fault his effort - something somewhere ain't right 
krooz - absolute lion heart and always gives 110%, and actually not bad, but doesn't influence the game enough for mine - if we could clone his ticker and share it round the team, we might really have something.
hendo - has been a revelation this year, and tried tonight, delivery was poor, not one of his good games
carrots - non event
2E - great game - now this guy has serious ticker and can play
walks - not a good game from him. Would love to hear from DOA regarding what the players think of MM
roweyerboat - tries, but not up to it
lucas - did ok IMO
armfield - ok
curnow - not tonight Josephine

are we seeing the start of MM losing his senior players, like Den Den before him ? Boy they looked lost and disinterested tonight.

And I hope no team coached by Toss Lyon ever wins a flag - they are taking our once great game to an extremely ugly place. I can't bear the thought of 17 copycat teams mimicking that style of play if they win.

Reply #111
I would like to hear your views of Watson's game.
I hear some positive comments in these channels
 but  9 kicks    4 handballs    13 disposals  and   7 marks is not sensational.
I get the impression that you guys think he is worth persevering with!

Reply #112
pretty fair effort tbh.
carrazzo down, murphy down, no amigo's, intense pressure and we were within 10 points at the final quarter.
Sorry tex, I can't agree with you here. We were ordinary.
Even our best players, Simpson, Tuohy, Scotland and Armfield, had to lower their colours, no matter how many possessions they had: they played on Freo's major goal kickers.
Walters 4, Ballantyne 3, Hill 2, Neale 2, Suban 2
Smalls the lot of them, and the players our best were on (I should also include Walker in there, as he also shared that job and gave up goals).

We missed Carrots badly, but he hasn't been right for a while. This is a chance to get him right.
Our taggers had a tough night, with freo getting far too many stoppage wins.

No, we had a shocker. I can't find anything to appreciate from the debacle to be honest, not from the coaching staff, the fitness people or the players.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #113
Started the third quarter with Cachia, Curnow and Mclean in for the centre bounce. Of those three, Cachia and Curnow were wearing their opponents like a glove, rendering them useless in any form of attack. Surely we can't win games like this?
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #114
As a small aside - I've been watching MM's pressers all year, and I'm a little concerned - he never seems to remember players names, never remembers stats, last night didn't even know the final score. Should we be worried about this ? Because I am.

Reply #115
As a small aside - I've been watching MM's pressers all year, and I'm a little concerned - he never seems to remember players names, never remembers stats, last night didn't even know the final score. Should we be worried about this ? Because I am.
No, I was so pissed off after the game I couldnt remember the person sitting next to me, my wife of 21 years.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #116
As much as it pains me for losing and wasting ANOTHER year, I don't think we need to throw the baby out with the bath water.
Much has been talked about our lack of KPP, we have a lot of talented boys at the club but they can't win without extra help. You know a few more pieces of the puzzle.
Players will always struggle when playing out of position or lack support or lack belief in fellow team mates to perform.

I just wish players are left in positions to learn to grow into that position and make it theirs. A poor effort one game is no reason to be shifted out of that position...Gee how many poor games did Fev have at FF? But we still left him their. Also if we had someone like Fev now would he be expected to run around their Backline or pinch hit in the ruck? I don't think so, his job was to kick goals.

Any team would struggle without a CHF or CHB.
THIS is where we are at, we WILL go hard at the trade table for these missing pieces and things WILL turn around quickly. 
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #117
pretty fair effort tbh.

Wow just saw this.

I know - makes you shake your head......tex, seriously, did you just fast-forward through the game watching our goals only, 'cos unless that's what you did, that opinion has no place in this forum....
I watched the whole game. For 3/4's of that game we withstood and held our own against a Top 3 side imposing enormous pressure despite us being one man down and having several passengers.

I'm not sure where people expect us to be at? Did they think we would win this? We are bordering as a Top 8 side. I dont think Port, North or West Coast would have fared any better last night. Perhaps they wouldnt have been blown out of the water in the last, but thats it.

The writing was on the wall when Sandilands lined up against Kreuzer who has wrecked himself over the last fortnight.

Yes, certain parts of the game showed our soft underbelly. But this has been part of our club for many years now. It will take take to overcome that. Fortunately we have the right coach for the job now.

Again: it was a fair effort for where we are at as a club.

Reply #118
We need to start by fixing up our midfield based on what I witnessed last night. The real priority problems are right there! If we can't win the ball and deliver into our F50 cleanly and precisely we are never going to be a force - simple fact!

We are just feeble in that department, and I am pretty much talking about all of them. We were outmuscled, outsmarted, outtackled and outrun by Freo's bigger, fitter, more competitive and more skillful mids, who impressed me last night. The number of times they got it quickly and accurately into their F50 was awe-inspiring and if their forwards had have been a bit more accurate we would have been buried in an even deeper pit!

Trade table here we come!

Yes we need KPPs - BUT we need a new midfield first!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #119
100%.  Our midfield is that of a bottom 8 side.  Small, slow, low skill.  Low "hurt factor".  Can't get it, or get it AND stop the other bloke.

Can't play Cachia, Carrots and Curnow in the same side.  3 taggers is like playing without half a midfield.  Too defensive because the big names don't have a defensive side.

Robinson has had a dog of year - can't buy a kick.

Give Bell or even Graham a go.. and tell 'em to do they do best - hunt the ball.  Force the other mob to be accountable by causing scoreboard hurt.

Mundy, Fyfe, Crowley, Barlow at 190 + cm and similar weight...and they run both ways.  That's why we were crushed.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?