Skip to main content
Topic: Marc Murphy launches a defence of his season and vows to break free of tags (Read 21155 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Marc Murphy launches a defence of his season and vows to break free of tags

Reply #45
Yarran got completely exposed in the preseason final and Mick will never play him there again.

Seriously, a career decided on a NAB Cup match!!!!  :o

Not even malthouse could be that stubborn or stupid could he?
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #46
The problem with resting Murphy until the end of the season, or finals if we get there by default, is that we don't have anyone who can provide the same contribution as Murphy - on one leg, let alone two.  It's all well and good to suggest that Graham or Buckley should come into the side but neither has set the world on fire in the NBs.

Murphy's knee may be hampering his running ability but his biggest problem is dealing with a hard tag.  As others have pointed out, the team doesn't do much to help but there doesn't seem to be a plan in place for Murphy himself.  Surely the coaches will have thought about who is tagger will be and developed a plan for neutralising and exploiting the tagger.  At one stage against Freo, he lost Crowley in the forward line and Crowley ended contesting a mark with Kreuzer (I think).  That should be a regular tactic.

Part of the plan must be encouraging Murphy to be more physical with his tagger.  Rather than doubling over when hit in the guts, he should tough it out and give it back harder.  Even if he gets done for striking, it will blunt one of the tagger's weapons.  And the week off could help his knee  ;)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #47
Ok if he's Injured then be needs to sit out. But in saying that he must play this week and use it to finally show his taggers that he won't take any sh1t anymore.
So the first person that gives him a cheapy to the mid section, he should turn around and Barry hall them. Give himself 4-5 weeks suspension but show the footy world that he ain't gonna take sh1t anymore from anyone.

I wouldn't expect whacking someone is going to stop the tactic. The worst case scenario is if he does that then plays a crape game. He'll subject himself to career full of the stuff. Nothing Murphy can do that will stop it, the good players cop it, go hard at the ball and get on with it instead of shrinking into their shell. 

He need support but he also needs to show that he can play even with the physical attention.

There's two ways to beat a tagger:

Run very hard and run them into the ground (usually takes effect midway through the third quarter)

Win your own contested ball/hard ball gets and  make tackling the opposition your focus (no way a tagger can stop you from tackling)

There's actually 3 ways.  ;D

Reply #48
I guess the point I'm trying to make is he never sticks up for himself though.
He gets hit, punched, cleaned up and so on all year but never retaliates.  I'm sick of seeing a tagger punch him in the guts and he goes to ground, gets up and then does nothing. To me it looks weak, especially as a captain.
As much as I hate Nick Maxwell, if someone punched him in the guts it would be on.
I just want him to show some fight back instead of just copping the punches and putting up with it. It makes him look easy to be pushed around..
If I was playing on him, I'd feel pretty comfortable that I could do anything to him, push him to the limit without fear of any retribution. I reckon most taggers see him like this now and play him that way.  Time to stand up for yourself Marc.

Reply #49
Part of the plan must be encouraging Murphy to be more physical with his tagger.  Rather than doubling over when hit in the guts, he should tough it out and give it back harder.  Even if he gets done for striking, it will blunt one of the tagger's weapons.  And the week off could help his knee  ;)

He gets hit, punched, cleaned up and so on all year but never retaliates.  I'm sick of seeing a tagger punch him in the guts and he goes to ground, gets up and then does nothing. To me it looks weak, especially as a captain.
As much as I hate Nick Maxwell, if someone punched him in the guts it would be on.
I just want him to show some fight back instead of just copping the punches and putting up with it. It makes him look easy to be pushed around..
If I was playing on him, I'd feel pretty comfortable that I could do anything to him, push him to the limit without fear of any retribution. I reckon most taggers see him like this now and play him that way.  Time to stand up for yourself Marc.

I was lambasted for suggesting such a thing after the Saints game. My how times have changed.  ;)
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #50

I was lambasted for suggesting such a thing after the Saints game. My how times have changed.  ;)

Not by me  ???

There are two ways to stop someone hitting you; run away, or hit them harder.

Actually, there's a third way; get someone bigger and meaner to hit them for you  :P
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #51

Ive loved Murphy but never really disagreed with much yv said over the past about him.... Last week watching him get punched in the guts was my breaking point..
He should have smacked that smug fork straight back.. But instead he curled over and did nothing.. I wasnt happy..

Reply #52
@DJC
Or even multiple bigger and meaner people.  ;D
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #53
On a different tact, assuming that Murph is not fit enough to run out four quarters, but given he still wracked up 13 touches and was effectively minding Crowley, is that a bit of a win for us?

If a tagger is going to Murphy when he cant really contribute, lets assume for a moment, Murphy didnt come up.  Crowley sits on Judd instead (assumption) and we struggle even more, unless someone steps up in a big way (Lucas? Graham?).

It seems to me, that Murphy wearing the tag, without being able to beat his opponent might still have given us a valuable contribution.  I know Im happier with Juddy running around without an opponent.

If Lyon's intentions were to have Crowley get 30 touches, then I guess you can look at it that way but I doubt Lyon had any such delusions. Crowley's job would have been to stop Murphy getting the pill and that's exactly what happened.

I guess the other side of the coin is if MM wanted Murphy to stop Crowley getting the ball and sacrifice his own game. If that was the case, I'd wonder if the coach has lost the plot ;-)

Reply #54
On a different tact, assuming that Murph is not fit enough to run out four quarters, but given he still wracked up 13 touches and was effectively minding Crowley, is that a bit of a win for us?

If a tagger is going to Murphy when he cant really contribute, lets assume for a moment, Murphy didnt come up.  Crowley sits on Judd instead (assumption) and we struggle even more, unless someone steps up in a big way (Lucas? Graham?).

It seems to me, that Murphy wearing the tag, without being able to beat his opponent might still have given us a valuable contribution.  I know Im happier with Juddy running around without an opponent.

If Lyon's intentions were to have Crowley get 30 touches, then I guess you can look at it that way but I doubt Lyon had any such delusions. Crowley's job would have been to stop Murphy getting the pill and that's exactly what happened.

I guess the other side of the coin is if MM wanted Murphy to stop Crowley getting the ball and sacrifice his own game. If that was the case, I'd wonder if the coach has lost the plot ;-)

Not exactly.  I think you missed what i meant.  If Murphy doesnt play, Crowley would shift to a different midfielder.  I chose Judd because he is the next logical choice.  So Judd gets the Crowley treatment instead, and might fare better in this battle due to his relative fitness, but we lose more elsewhere than we make up here.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #55

Not exactly.  I think you missed what i meant.  If Murphy doesnt play, Crowley would shift to a different midfielder.  I chose Judd because he is the next logical choice.  So Judd gets the Crowley treatment instead, and might fare better in this battle due to his relative fitness, but we lose more elsewhere than we make up here.

I think coaches are prepared to accept that one player may be shut down on condition that they contribute in a way other than accumulating possessions; tackling, a couple of goals, etc.  The other mids have to step up and make up for the tagged player's lower possession count.  It was probably the lesser of two evils when Crowley went to Murphy - I'm sure Judd was pleased as well.