Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Round 8: Northern Blues vs. Coburg (Read 30335 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL Round 8: Northern Blues vs. Coburg

Reply #60
Henderson Back, with Rowe and Jamison when fit. That sets the defence.

Casboult and Kruezer as forwards with obvious spells in the ruck. I reckon that leaves Jaskch jones or Watson and you know my feelings on the other two. Jaskch as a third tall with Everitt and walker floating through there as your mobile running fourth tall.

I completely 100% agree with this.

Jones HAS to go back and learn. Might even be the making of him. Toughen him up I hope too.

Jaksch forward more often for sure as he does know how to run and lead much like Hendo.

Henderson to CHB to stiffen up the defence. Then he can swing forward if need be from time to time.

Watson no.

Reply #61

Casboult and Kruezer as forwards with obvious spells in the ruck. I reckon that leaves Jaskch jones or Watson and you know my feelings on the other two. Jaskch as a third tall with Everitt and walker floating through there as your mobile running fourth tall.
i think HENDERSON is gone

Reply #62

That is a really tall lineup and not so mobile.

I'd prefer 2 of those 3 listed as backs with your 3rd 'tall' White.

You can't play Casboult, Kreuzer and Jaksch in the same forwardline and expect Everitt to fit in there as well. Without a genuine crumbing forward to mop up. Menzel will probably be down there too who plays best as another marking forward.

That forwardline will have the ball cleared out of defence quicker than Yarran with open space.

Personally i wouldn't mind see Hendo+Kreuzer up forward with only one of Wood/Casboult in the side. Throw in Jaksch, Everitt, White and Walker to play your 3rd+4th backs and forwards and you have a better balanced side.

Reply #63
Kreuzer has been found wanting as a forward in the past. I realise he took a great mark on the weekend but it won't take too many great games for the opposition to put more time into him and stop that kind of thing. If he can reproduce what he did on the weekend on a consistent basis then lookout!
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #64
Did Boekhurst and Whiley play?

Both Boekhurst and Whiley did play and both showed bits throughout but overall were too quite for too long.

Whiley took awhile to get into the game and probably got a rev up at half time because in the last two quarters showed something particularly in pressure around the ball although didn't win big numbers which he really should be at his level. Boekhurst went the other way and was largely unseen post half time. I noticed him a couple of times but I think the forward line rejig where Yarran went forward and probably had him chasing leather and that doesn't appear to be his strong suit. Down hill skiing seems to be where he currently excels and too many on our list do. I would suggest the coaching panel are trying to throw him on to the ball and make him defend and chase which will take time.

Whiley was solid as defensive midfielder in the last term particularly and I noticed him trying to marshall some troops around him in Coburg attacking forays in the third term but I would say that Holman and Walsh were the more solid midfielders for the day along with the efforts of Ellard. On effort and finish Ellard would be the next promoted although Holman has looked good the last couple of weeks. Also on Whiley I noticed he was in and under the packs a bit but doesn't have the clean Cripps disposal but can go and get it but can't break away.

Another player I watched a bit of whilst not Carlton listed was Alex Aurrichio (big unit) and I liked the look of him. Very raw but casting my mind back to the Setanta days I think this guy is more natural. Big Minson type not afraid to get his body involved but really early in his development and made plenty of rookie ruck mistakes but he'll learn from it. Moves well for the size and if he can learn to read the game a bit might be one to watch longer term. He was number 73 on Monday if anyone else went along.

Reply #65
I'd expect Boekhorst to struggle as the weather get worse and we have more wet conditions....on the other hand I think Whiley will enjoy the mud and slosh a bit more
and become a better player...

Reply #66
Given that we are going to be getting Yarran, Gibbs and possibly Diasy and Jamison back in the side after the break, how do you propose we fit Ellard in with that?

Tutt probably looks odds on to make way...apart from that, no easy targets to send back to the 2's after the crows match.
Army is usually one to make way, but given he kicked 2 goals, be a bit harsh to drop him.

Who else makes way?

Graham, Menzel, Buckley??

Can't fit ellard in.

Judd out is a start. Yarran shouldn't get an elevation ahead of Ellard.

What message does that send? No matter how well you go a more talented player will get a game ahead of you.

Games at Carlton need to be earned, else they are taken for granted and you get players going through the motions at senior level.

Chris Judd played Vfl once.  he wanted to win that day too.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #67
#spf, ended up thinking Wiley was tagging in the second half,  which was puzzling but if that's going to be his future role then spose it makes some sense.

re: Big Aurri, his beard an demeanor were reminiscent of Mummy for mine. Not sure what his kicking is like but he's strong,  no doubt. Must get some kudos for lasting this far and we could do worse than rookie him. Kicking is the key, though.

Reply #68

What message does that send? No matter how well you go a more talented player will get a game ahead of you.

Games at Carlton need to be earned, else they are taken for granted and you get players going through the motions at senior level.

Didn't you say winning is everything? Ellard won't win you diddly squat, Yarran will. Time to let the Ellard thing go mate.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #69

Yarran was dropped for disciplinary reasons.
Otherwise he's one of the first players picked.

If he goes back and does his penance....(and it looks like he didn't sook it and went OK with 20+ touches)
then he's once again one of the first players picked.

The point has been made.

Reply #70
Didn't you say winning is everything? Ellard won't win you diddly squat, Yarran will. Time to let the Ellard thing go mate.

No.

I think you have me confused with someone else, or are applying your spin to a different point made.

Paul Hewson

Reply #71

If he goes back and does his penance....(and it looks like he didn't sook it and went OK with 20+ touches)

The point has been made.

Unfortunately though Lods Yazz is a bit of a recidivist. He definitely needs to get over that once and for all.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #72
No.

I think you have me confused with someone else, or are applying your spin to a different point made.

No, you have definitely said winning is of utmost importance and that's why blokes like Ellard should play over youth.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #73

The point has been made.

The point has been made, but we have been here before.  Ratten dropped Yarran to the NB's back in 2012.  He starred that day and came straight up again.

He might have gone OK, but Ellard was huge.  He kicked 3 goals, got it 23 times, and won 10 clearances.  We lost by 2 points. That contribution was enourmous.

That is the only thing we need to reward consistent effort and application, and that way when Ellard is displaced in future, it won't be by a bloke just going ok in the VFL, it will be by a guy forcing a point to get a game (hopefully).

There will be weeks where guys get a game by default, but when there is genuine competition for a senior spot, the only critieria being judged to give a player a spot on the team should be how they have been performing to get that opportunity.  Shouldnt it?

No, you have definitely said winning is of utmost importance and that's why blokes like Ellard should play over youth.

Definately?  I have stated it in context of rewarding the effort (see above) rather than gifting people games because they are young.  What I suggest, is that perhaps you consider that maybe  you missed the point.

Paul Hewson

Reply #74
That is a really tall lineup and not so mobile.

I'd prefer 2 of those 3 listed as backs with your 3rd 'tall' White.

You can't play Casboult, Kreuzer and Jaksch in the same forwardline and expect Everitt to fit in there as well. Without a genuine crumbing forward to mop up. Menzel will probably be down there too who plays best as another marking forward.

That forwardline will have the ball cleared out of defence quicker than Yarran with open space.

Personally i wouldn't mind see Hendo+Kreuzer up forward with only one of Wood/Casboult in the side. Throw in Jaksch, Everitt, White and Walker to play your 3rd+4th backs and forwards and you have a better balanced side.

Compare that Set up to some of the better teams

Freo - Johnson, McPharlin, Dawson (when fit) - Pavlich/Clarke/Taberner/Mayne
West Coast - Schofield, McGovern, Mckenzie/Brown (if fit) - Kennedy/Sinclair/McInnes/Darling
Sydney - Richards/Grundy/Reid - Buddy/Tippet/Goodes/
Hawks -  Lake/Frawley/Statton/Shoenmakers - Roughy/Hale/Gunston/

"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset