Skip to main content
Topic: Rnd 20- Carlton v Bulldogs -Post Match Autopsy (Read 45693 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rnd 20- Carlton v Bulldogs -Post Match Autopsy

Reply #75
I consider myself a glass half full kind of guy, but we are in serious SERIOUS! trouble going forward. I honestly believe now, with a lack of quality youngsters coming through we are in for a stint in the bottom 4. All of dogs, crows, eagles, lions, roos, suns and possibly gws will go ahead of us. Forget the last quarter and injuries, the bulldogs owned us and should've won by plenty more. I think our burying our head in the sand over the last 2 years thinking we are better than we are has cost us dearly. Tough times ahead
Eat more chooks

Reply #76
Madden could take marks forward and back. Tackle and hurt opponents physically, and with his goal kicking. His tap work compared to Warnock was sublime!
I even saw Madden run and bounce once! :D

Harry gave Tuck the best backhander you've ever seen in the first 10 minutes of the '87 Grand Final, a backhander from Warnock is an oxymoron.

;D

Didn't he iron out Denis Banks one day at Waverley?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #77
I consider myself a glass half full kind of guy, but we are in serious SERIOUS! trouble going forward. I honestly believe now, with a lack of quality youngsters coming through we are in for a stint in the bottom 4. All of dogs, crows, eagles, lions, roos, suns and possibly gws will go ahead of us. Forget the last quarter and injuries, the bulldogs owned us and should've won by plenty more. I think our burying our head in the sand over the last 2 years thinking we are better than we are has cost us dearly. Tough times ahead

they owned us in the first quarter fully fit and fresh!

Reply #78
@Chooka
Mate, I'm afraid to say you are 100% dead right, spot on, and on the money!  :(

Reply #79
I watched MM presser and he said he was most disappointed with the fact that the first bounce strategy was not executed. I could see from the first bounce the Doggies were all over us. As I said in the in game thread, they should have been up by 4 or 5 goals at qtr time. I could tell in the first 10 minutes we were gonna get done, I have a gut full of this soft and insipid side. Fark the Essendon Drug Scandal, lets worry about our own back yard.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #80
Mighty Mick is turning into Marshmallow Mick. Perhaps the Pies got it right - they knew his coaching days were over. I'm quite deflated after this. I thought Malthouse could take our list to the next level. It looks like the next level below.

Mazza!

>:(

How are the Bummers going these days LL?

I think they're still in the 8. Why do you ask?

Ah! They've got their own very special way of achieving that haven't they?

The really sad part is even after their sanctions they will still be a better performed team then us over the next 3-5 years.

Cheats or not their list is clearly superior to ours and by a fair stretch IMO.

At least they were willing to do whatever it took to succeed. Our players couldn't give 2 sh1ts.

Reply #81
I watched MM presser and he said he was most disappointed with the fact that the first bounce strategy was not executed. I could see from the first bounce the Doggies were all over us. As I said in the in game thread, they should have been up by 4 or 5 goals at qtr time. I could tell in the first 10 minutes we were gonna get done, I have a gut full of this soft and insipid side. Fark the Essendon Drug Scandal, lets worry about our own back yard.

the presser was about as inspiring as the onfield stuff.

Reply #82

Didnt say it was inspiring, used the point about the first bounce, thats all I got from it. For a side that had a glimmer of hope about playing finals and playing a team below them on the ladder, that was an absolute disgrace. Richmond will spank us by 60+.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #83

Didnt say it was inspiring, used the point about the first bounce, thats all I got from it. For a side that had a glimmer of hope about playing finals and playing a team below them on the ladder, that was an absolute disgrace. Richmond will spank us by 60+.

didnt suggest you did, just making my own observations of it :)

Reply #84
Mighty Mick is turning into Marshmallow Mick. Perhaps the Pies got it right - they knew his coaching days were over. I'm quite deflated after this. I thought Malthouse could take our list to the next level. It looks like the next level below.

Mazza!

>:(

How are the Bummers going these days LL?

I think they're still in the 8. Why do you ask?

Ah! They've got their own very special way of achieving that haven't they?

The really sad part is even after their sanctions they will still be a better performed team then us over the next 3-5 years.

Cheats or not their list is clearly superior to ours and by a fair stretch IMO.

At least they were willing to do whatever it took to succeed. Our players couldn't give 2 sh1ts.

Let's give 'em and Jimmy a hearty round of applause then Shawny, eh?  8)

Reply #85

didnt suggest you did, just making my own observations of it :)
my bad
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #86
God  :o???

Please let this season end......now!!

What a pityful excuse for a team we have become :-[ .

Where the hell is the players pride in our jumper?  I cant fathom how far we've fallen. With our draft history, trades we've made (and sometimes lack of trading)  yadda yadda yadda........  my my my, all we've ended up with is a full list of prima donnas who seem content with mediocrity.

Fark you Blues!  >:(
Too little and Way too late. Pull your fingers out boys!!

Reply #87
Where is the pride in themselves? I dont for one moment care whether or not they care about the club or jumper, but shouldnt they have a little more pride in themselves as a group?  Wayne Harms is an unabashed Tigers supporter and lost all connection with Carlton as soon as he stopped playing for us but he had the mental fortitude and pride in himself and his teamates to put it all on the line when he played for us.

Ill take that.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #88
Never sure it was about coaching so much but the attitude and workrate of the players. Other than the odd moment of   the last 11 years it been an ingrained problem since 2002. With the players we do have we should do alot better. This is what MM has inherited and that's sometimes harder to fix than a lack of talent. He did it once at the Pies, hopefully he can do it again. Ratts coached well  enough but that workrate and attitude problem reared itself last year again.

Now it's MM's turn to see if he can sort it. When he makes list changes he can look at the players who's attitude and workrate is poor as much as those who he's thinks aren't going to cut it. No good had talent if you're adverse to the idea of gut running and doing the basics, Parko did this in his first year back in 1991. We lost the last 8 of the year that year so he cleaned the list out of not only those who weren't going to cut it but those who wouldn't work hard enough either. In the end he got the type of team he wanted and eventually won a flag.

Excellent post mate.

After the start of the year I defended the Coach - hosing down the usual rantings of a few individuals - stating we were improving. I admit now that we are in fact no longer improving - from being a harder nut to crack - to now going backwards. We are going backwards at a rate of knots.

Who is to blame? Looking at the post game presser - thanks Carrots -, I feel confident that the Players take the brunt of the blame. You could tell, and this is my personal observation of it, that the players really let him down. He spoke of player acknowledgement of tactics. He spoke of the Leadership Group taking their role to the expected levels. I get the feeling a lot of players stamped their papers, and senior players at that. I think a number of key players need to be moved on to help change the culture of the squad - especially to allow the younger players to flourish in a different environment. There's something rotten at the core of the squad. But there is definite change needed in our coaching staff list. The development has been shocking and let's not talk about recruitment  :o

As for MM, well, he HAS to indicate there will be repercussions for poor play and rewards for those who perform for the Northern Blues. He will gain a lot of respect from me if he drops some players and brings in a few Northern Blues players. He has NOTHING to loose by doing so. He put his eggs in one basket and it failed (they failed!?). His reputation has taken a beating. He'll be fired up to prove doubters wrong. Lets hope the players show the same pride. He has my support to turn things around in 2014. After that he is fair game.

Some observations from the game:
Jamieson is not half the player he was..what is going on? Does he miss Henderson that much? He looks totally panicked at the moment.
Walker - opposition have figured him out and he is struggling.
That was the worst game I have seen from Armfield. Real stinker. So many poor disposals.
Menzel is the future, that kid shows class. I would be very worried if I were one of the three amigos.
I still think Tuohy should be given stint in the middle..he would take the game on and can focus on attack. You can always tell he relishes attacking the game and wanting to unleash that boot of his. Drop one of Cachia or Curnow.
McInnes needs to come back in. Assured young man deserves his chance again. Is he injured? How does Boots get a game ahead of him?
Bryce  "watch the hair" Gibbs - he kills me, he really does. Shepherds instead of tackles, jogs instead of gut runs..and that hand on hips saunter when the crap hits the fan..I wanted to run onto the ground a few times to give him five across the eyes. Shows no pride and looks like someone who knows he will not get dropped. Not good enough. Trade.
Simmo and Scotty - I love these two. Uncompromising to the last. We will miss them more that people think.
Murphy - if his knee is that bad then give him a spell. Why do we persist playing half cooked players..it makes no sense. Hell, it deprives youngsters from game time and increases the likelihood of further injuring themselves by persisting to play them. All short term thinking. Back them in and drop those who don't perform. It's not that bloody hard. It shows a complete lack of strategic thinking and ambition to strengthen the list overall. Sh?ts me to tears

And yes, I'll still renew that membership and turn up every game. I love this club.  ;)
Keep the Faith

Reply #89
Have a look at Gibbs' post match presser. He doesn't look to phased by anything. The line that killed me was that his being a No. 1 pick is long forgotten!

Not by me it hasn't Bryce - we expect a hell of a lot more from YOU old son - don't forget a No. 1 pick is a massive investment by any club and we expect returns!