Skip to main content
Topic: Rnd 20- Carlton v Bulldogs -Post Match Autopsy (Read 45668 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rnd 20- Carlton v Bulldogs -Post Match Autopsy

Reply #90
I thought Gibbs was one of the few who ran hard and played well early.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #91
Mighty Mick is turning into Marshmallow Mick. Perhaps the Pies got it right - they knew his coaching days were over. I'm quite deflated after this. I thought Malthouse could take our list to the next level. It looks like the next level below.

Mazza!

>:(

How are the Bummers going these days LL?

I think they're still in the 8. Why do you ask?

Ah! They've got their own very special way of achieving that haven't they?

The really sad part is even after their sanctions they will still be a better performed team then us over the next 3-5 years.

Cheats or not their list is clearly superior to ours and by a fair stretch IMO.

At least they were willing to do whatever it took to succeed. Our players couldn't give 2 sh1ts.

Let's give 'em and Jimmy a hearty round of applause then Shawny, eh?  8)

Cookie, point is let's worry about our own backyard.

We are a bloody mess mate.

Reply #92
Maybe we should have a good look at how the game is played in general. Take in how the rules effect the type of players we put on the park compared with the better teams.
The game I feel has changed even since 2011. The Freo game highlighted this. Brute strength is a necessity. The rules now suit a bigger bodied player. Correct disposal of the ball when tackled seems to no longer exist. I didn't know there was a rule change as I was of the belief that a player when tackled must dispose of the ball either by handball or a kick. With less frees awarded and the pursuit of letting the game flow this rule has just about disappeared.
Bomber Thompson stated when he arrived at bummerland that they needed to get bigger, and we all know how they went about it, but they did alter their structure game day this year with less smalls. They no longer have Monfreis, lonegan reimers Davey, Jedda, Melsham Windelich Dempsey Stanton, Zacofwhatever playing together at any given time, not that they all ever did. but their ratio of similar types has altered.
We have a lot of smalls and with the game and rules as they are, it is little wonder we don't run out games or play consistently for four quarters. We just physically cannot and the rules or should I say lack of won't allow it especially against better teams.
I have noticed our players struggle to retard the opposition, especially in close whereas our boys when tackled are easily retarded.
There will always be a need for nifty clever smalls but I wonder if our balance of talls, smalls and bigger bodied players is outer kilter with the better teams and should we recruit and field teams accordingly.
Monfries kicked 7 against the CATS!
Yep and Port lost to the CATS!

Reply #93
So... I didn't cope too well with the loss last night

We seriously aren't good enough at the moment and we have a few passengers.

Reply #94
@Shawny
I agree Shawny - it will take a lot of work to fix as well.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #95
I consider myself a glass half full kind of guy, but we are in serious SERIOUS! trouble going forward. I honestly believe now, with a lack of quality youngsters coming through we are in for a stint in the bottom 4. All of dogs, crows, eagles, lions, roos, suns and possibly gws will go ahead of us. Forget the last quarter and injuries, the bulldogs owned us and should've won by plenty more. I think our burying our head in the sand over the last 2 years thinking we are better than we are has cost us dearly. Tough times ahead

If we put together a side on paper we can look most sides in the eye. We know that from back  in 2011.  you don't sit as temporary flag favourite, as we did for  a  week last year, without that  talent. The problem is this lazy culture, lazy workrate and poor attitude. That brings every side down. Must look at who the players are that don't seen to give a sh1t and chuck' em out. If a lesser player goes out  there and works his ring off then we keep him. We have to start with a  hard working culture where players give a sh1t and not just turn up for their pay packet. thought Ratts was going along way to kjlling that off but it manifested itself again last year and continued on. MM has probably realised what he  has walked in to. Easier to  best the best out of a lesser side that works hard. we have a list as good, even better than some sides above us but the difference is those sides are fully committed to the task, we're not. Makes one hell of a difference on the scoreboard. Time to change it. Lazy b@astards, it's time to go!

Reply #96
So... I didn't cope too well with the loss last night

We seriously aren't good enough at the moment and we have a few passengers.
Few? I could tolerate a few.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #97
Never sure it was about coaching so much but the attitude and workrate of the players. Other than the odd moment of   the last 11 years it been an ingrained problem since 2002. With the players we do have we should do alot better. This is what MM has inherited and that's sometimes harder to fix than a lack of talent. He did it once at the Pies, hopefully he can do it again. Ratts coached well  enough but that workrate and attitude problem reared itself last year again.

Now it's MM's turn to see if he can sort it. When he makes list changes he can look at the players who's attitude and workrate is poor as much as those who he's thinks aren't going to cut it. No good had talent if you're adverse to the idea of gut running and doing the basics, Parko did this in his first year back in 1991. We lost the last 8 of the year that year so he cleaned the list out of not only those who weren't going to cut it but those who wouldn't work hard enough either. In the end he got the type of team he wanted and eventually won a flag.

Excellent post mate.

After the start of the year I defended the Coach - hosing down the usual rantings of a few individuals - stating we were improving. I admit now that we are in fact no longer improving - from being a harder nut to crack - to now going backwards. We are going backwards at a rate of knots.

Who is to blame? Looking at the post game presser - thanks Carrots -, I feel confident that the Players take the brunt of the blame. You could tell, and this is my personal observation of it, that the players really let him down. He spoke of player acknowledgement of tactics. He spoke of the Leadership Group taking their role to the expected levels. I get the feeling a lot of players stamped their papers, and senior players at that. I think a number of key players need to be moved on to help change the culture of the squad - especially to allow the younger players to flourish in a different environment. There's something rotten at the core of the squad. But there is definite change needed in our coaching staff list. The development has been shocking and let's not talk about recruitment  :o

As for MM, well, he HAS to indicate there will be repercussions for poor play and rewards for those who perform for the Northern Blues. He will gain a lot of respect from me if he drops some players and brings in a few Northern Blues players. He has NOTHING to loose by doing so. He put his eggs in one basket and it failed (they failed!?). His reputation has taken a beating. He'll be fired up to prove doubters wrong. Lets hope the players show the same pride. He has my support to turn things around in 2014. After that he is fair game.

Some observations from the game:
Jamieson is not half the player he was..what is going on? Does he miss Henderson that much? He looks totally panicked at the moment.
Walker - opposition have figured him out and he is struggling.
That was the worst game I have seen from Armfield. Real stinker. So many poor disposals.
Menzel is the future, that kid shows class. I would be very worried if I were one of the three amigos.
I still think Tuohy should be given stint in the middle..he would take the game on and can focus on attack. You can always tell he relishes attacking the game and wanting to unleash that boot of his. Drop one of Cachia or Curnow.
McInnes needs to come back in. Assured young man deserves his chance again. Is he injured? How does Boots get a game ahead of him?
Bryce  "watch the hair" Gibbs - he kills me, he really does. Shepherds instead of tackles, jogs instead of gut runs..and that hand on hips saunter when the crap hits the fan..I wanted to run onto the ground a few times to give him five across the eyes. Shows no pride and looks like someone who knows he will not get dropped. Not good enough. Trade.
Simmo and Scotty - I love these two. Uncompromising to the last. We will miss them more that people think.
Murphy - if his knee is that bad then give him a spell. Why do we persist playing half cooked players..it makes no sense. Hell, it deprives youngsters from game time and increases the likelihood of further injuring themselves by persisting to play them. All short term thinking. Back them in and drop those who don't perform. It's not that bloody hard. It shows a complete lack of strategic thinking and ambition to strengthen the list overall. Sh?ts me to tears

And yes, I'll still renew that membership and turn up every game. I love this club.  ;)
Woody blokes like you are to be commended. Me however? I am done and I have every right. I have shelled out big money for years for my family memberships but no more. Nuffs enuff, not going to support pea hearts who have no pride. I am gutted and will take me a very long time to recover. Too upset to single out people, all I know is that 22 frauds donned CFC jumpers last night and set our club back 5 years.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #98
Big rumor MM gave Watson a massive spray about toughening up. In effect if he wanted to be an AFL footballer he could not let a sore foot get in the way!

Now it turns out the kid had a broken bone!

Ouch! If true a bit harsh, could be an apology on the cards!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #99
Big rumor MM gave Watson a massive spray about toughening up. In effect if he wanted to be an AFL footballer he could not let a sore foot get in the way!

Where does the rumour come from?
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #100

Where does the rumour come from?

Was told at the pub Watson had some mates, Bumbers fans so not sure they can be trusted, that were sitting behind the CFC bench who overheard a spray and talked about it in one of the bars/pubs after the game. Hopefully just a no substance rumor!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #101
This is what happens when a young side is brought up by a coach on his L plates. Poor recruiting and development 3-5 years ago has caused this problem. It will take MM another 2-3 years to fix it unfortunately.

Reply #102
Unacceptable in every way.  Simpluy unacceptable.

Writing is on the wall but the club, and has been for at least 6 weeks, but our clueless coach can't see it.

The gameplan is obselete, even if we could enact it.

Its like a broken FG record - for 10 years we are too weak physically and we have too many small players, but hey, if the opposition can chuck the ball away every time why even bothering to tackle... I think the asset in brute strength is breaking tackles, not laying them, and holding your feet (core strength).

Our lack on on-field leadership is galling.

We need to cull 10-15 players because we haven't made calls for about 3 years and have persisted for to long with spuds like Warnock.  Who gave that useless hack a 3 year contract???Other blokes have become too comfortable. Bryce Gibbs - as disappointing a player as I have ever seen at Carlton.  in the 70's we had a term for blokes like him - a glider.  A bloke happy to run around and get the odd kick and get paid, without bothering to work up a sweat or get dirty. Closely followed by one C. Yarran.  How about actually contributing something Chris?

Mick needs a boot in the bum from the board.   Blokes need to be played in their correct positions, dropped if out of form, and given work to rectify problems.

Why is Walker kicking out?  Is Malthouse seriously so stupid?  Stuff like this is just happening too much.  Does Malthouse even know the players?

Thought Judd was head and shoulders our best, McLean at least tried, Watson and Bootsma (second half ok) but for the umpteenth time this year - midfield was smashed.  Rebuilding has to start there, it is our biggest problem.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #103
Unacceptable in every way.  Simpluy unacceptable.

Writing is on the wall but the club, and has been for at least 6 weeks, but our clueless coach can't see it.

The gameplan is obselete, even if we could enact it.

Its like a broken FG record - for 10 years we are too weak physically and we have too many small players, but hey, if the opposition can chuck the ball away every time why even bothering to tackle... I think the asset in brute strength is breaking tackles, not laying them, and holding your feet (core strength).

Our lack on on-field leadership is galling.

We need to cull 10-15 players because we haven't made calls for about 3 years and have persisted for to long with spuds like Warnock.  Who gave that useless hack a 3 year contract???Other blokes have become too comfortable. Bryce Gibbs - as disappointing a player as I have ever seen at Carlton.  in the 70's we had a term for blokes like him - a glider.  A bloke happy to run around and get the odd kick and get paid, without bothering to work up a sweat or get dirty. Closely followed by one C. Yarran.  How about actually contributing something Chris?

Mick needs a boot in the bum from the board.   Blokes need to be played in their correct positions, dropped if out of form, and given work to rectify problems.

Why is Walker kicking out?  Is Malthouse seriously so stupid?  Stuff like this is just happening too much.  Does Malthouse even know the players?

Thought Judd was head and shoulders our best, McLean at least tried, Watson and Bootsma (second half ok) but for the umpteenth time this year - midfield was smashed.  Rebuilding has to start there, it is our biggest problem.

Prof....Wont get an argument from me on any of those comments except I'm not prepared to judge MM until I have seen his recruiting/trade work and the results it brings in 12 months time.
Problem being to replace 10-15 players you need 3 years of solid recruiting and the Carlton philosphy is we dont rebuild just refresh....that mentality usually leads to crazy trades, too many retreds and more chaos as the coach under pressure gets desperate for short term success that cant be sustained and to win flags you need sustained success over a cycle of years.

Reply #104

Spot on Prof.....said exactly the same thing to my mate during the game. Tuohy should be the man kicking-in each & everytime (now that Watson is injured), with Walker & Jamo never to be allowed to do that task ever again.

We had a 2-page spread in the Hun y'day morning basically smacking us (justifiably) from pillar to post......and that's how our blokes respond; by simply reinforcing what was written about them that very morning. Unbelievable.

Waite had been out with bone bruising to the knee - can someone tell me why he needed his knee bandaged? What the hell would a bandage do for a nearly-healed bruised bone pray tell? Weak as p!ss.......
Football is life, there is nothing else....