Skip to main content
Topic: Hawthorn v Carlton -Post Match thread (Read 27120 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Hawthorn v Carlton -Post Match thread

Reply #30
Carrazzo 33 disposals, 10 clearances, 14 cont poss and disposal efficiency of 91%

What a way to go out. All class.

Wow maybe he did have another year in the tank. Was pretty damn good today.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #31
Not a real fan of Watson's and while I take the point he may have suffered under the previous coaching regime I have not see much apart from a few cameo's when the heat has been off late in the season to convince me to keep him on the list.
Rather get Marcus Adams from West Perth in the WAFL...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHdrHk6mjSM

Reply #32
Problem is that Carrotts' body won't permit him to back up every week and expecting him to play 20 games is too much.  He needs to save what he has left for the rest of his life.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #33
Not a real fan of Watson's and while I take the point he may have suffered under the previous coaching regime I have not see much apart from a few cameo's when the heat has been off late in the season to convince me to keep him on the list.

Only got picked late in the season though. Can only play and perform when selected. I've seen alot worse this year, although that's not too hard. Done more in 3 games than what Henderson did all year, again not saying alot though. Done enough for 12 months.

Re: pmme thread

Reply #34
Never greatly worked before. Watson is at least taking a mark, getting a kick and hitting the scoreboard. Hasn't let anyone down since he's moved forward. He's contributed. I'd prefer him to some so called readymade from a lower league. 12 months only. Been happy with what he has done since moved forward. Could've been worse.

You don't keep players like Watson as backups when they are borderline top 40 players on your list.
If he was top 30, maybe.
Casboult is offering a lot more as a key forward.
Everitt is offering a lot more as a key forward.
Hell...even Walker is offering a lot more as a key forward.

Reply #35
Only got picked late in the season though. Can only play and perform when selected. I've seen alot worse this year, although that's not too hard. Done more in 3 games than what Henderson did all year, again not saying alot though. Done enough for 12 months.

We all agree Hendo was performing WELL below what we know he can yeah. Got 0 touches and 1 tackle in 1 game!

Side by side...
in 2015, Hendo is better than Watson in averages in...
Kicks
Handballs
Disposals
Marks
Rebound 50s
Inside 50s
Goal assists
and 1%ers.

Courtesy of some contested marks and marks inside 50 today, Watson shaves Hendo in
CM's (1.5 to 1.4)
MI50 (1.5 to 1.4)
and tackles (2 to 1.5)

They each average 1 goal a game.

Hendo had his worst year by far, Watson had one of his best ever games today to inflate his averages, yet still not good enough to beat out a guy who had donuts in 1 game.

Reply #36

Not sure that Adams is the answer, but he fits the profile somewhat better than Matthew Watson. Watson has improved a lot as a forward, but he is still very slow and doesn't offer much when the ball isn't in the air. His body work is ordinary.
Adams has more mobility and gives you a contest. I'd be interested in getting him over to train with us to see if he can cut the mustard.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #37
Adams has played  as a key defender most of this year
Is a big unit,  and mobile for his size
Worth consideration come draft time

Reply #38
Bit of a surreal atmosphere at the game today with emotional scenes for Ratts and farewells for Carrazzo and Ellard. I was in the MCC members with a friend and by half-time I was frozen so we repaired to the bar and watched the rest of the game on TV over a few glasses of red.

No real surprises re. the result, at least not a record losing score, and we kept at it  despite lots of mistakes and turnovers, but hey we get #1 draft pick now. Couldn't help but think that the Hawks were holding back a bit with minds on next week.

Thank God this year's over for us!!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #39

That says it all really - 2 moderately useful games in 5 years in what amounted to dead rubbers with no real heat on. He has far too many limitations and a team cannot be successful in the AFL without the whole team being able to apply pressure to the opposition.

I hope that 5 years is all she wrote for Watto and that Magpie Eddie was so impressed with his game that he wants to trade something for him. For lack of defensive pressure, Yarran and Menzel are welcome to pack their bags as well.

Reply #40
Like cookie, I too was in the MCC, absolutely nothing atmosphere as was to be expected. Most people around us (and there weren't many) were engaged in conversation more so than watching the predictable result unfold. No record result today thankfully.

I reckon the honeymoon period is well and truly over for Cameron Wood. Was admirable last year, but apart from a couple of games this year, has largely stunk it up, with tonight being a glaring example. Friggin' hopeless.

Bell's last quarter was good, but the rest of the game his kicking was unadulterated rubbish. Would trade in a heartbeat if Brisbane offered the right price.

I counted 3 first-half Hawthorn goals as a direct result of Simmo, hence he got swapped out of defence with Holman. Worst left-footer in the AFL by a fair way is our Kade.

Yes, Watson was fair tonight, but come on, his time has come and gone, he doesn't work hard enough and I'm fairly sure his AFL career ended tonight, no matter what performance he produced.

Don't get me started on Menzel, he's cooked as he produced yet another garbage display. Geez, has he gone from the champ he was last year, to the deadset chump he's turned into this year. Wouldn't lose a minute's sleep if he got traded.

Carrots ended his career admirably, whilst Ellard showed he'd made the right decision to call time on his career also.

Happy with the effort tonight to be honest, but FMD we're our own worst enemy a lot of the time.
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #41
Could the reason Matthew Watson only starts to show some form in the last few games of the season be due to the fact that he only gets to play the last few games of the season? ;D

Reply #42
Could the reason Matthew Watson only starts to show some form in the last few games of the season be due to the fact that he only gets to play the last few games of the season? ;D

That's some pretty full on logic there PB!

When you look at how much River Rat detests him and River Rat actually works with him it's hard to see him getting anywhere near his best under this current regime. Just bereft of confidence, hopefully they clear the place out and Watto gets a fresh start under a coaching team that believe in him.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #43
@Brettie

Mate, the last line of your post sums it up perfectly!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #44

It is only the LAST game of the season, not the last few.

In his 3 other games this year he was next to useless. Yesterday he was adequate in a nothing game.