Skip to main content
Topic: When was our last Rising Star nomination? (Read 5479 times) previous topic - next topic

When was our last Rising Star nomination?

Again this week Adelaide produce a Rising Star nomination.......no.3 for the year.

Not saying its the be all and end all, but I think it's a fair indication that our kids ain't setting the world on fire!

Re: When was our last Rising Star nomination?

Reply #1
Player development all over again. Is this just the job of Mick, or does he need someone to work with the young kids at the NB's ? Not just the existing coach but a kind of project boy type development of many players. Having individual mentors watch them develop and hone their skills. Don't ask Green to do this. I'm still puzzled why we got him in the first place. Surely no assisting coach is better than a good for nothing hack. If Mick doesn't secure Ling, he must have another man in mind.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #2
Off the top of my head, my gut says Jeffy Garlett was our last rising star nomination. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #4
I'm tipping Menzel and Graham will both get a nomination next year !!
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #5
Again this week Adelaide produce a Rising Star nomination.......no.3 for the year.

Not saying its the be all and end all, but I think it's a fair indication that our kids ain't setting the world on fire!
Certainly our kids don't seem to get any kudos, Last year Tom Bell and bunch of others got games and really showed something; certainly they did enough to get noticed. The 'big name' kids had already had their nominations. But did they? Not a nomination to be seen. Did Zac Tuohy? He was deserving of a nod, but never got one. He has gone on to be a very serviceable and very consistent player.
We do have issues with our development, that is clear. It is also clear that not a huge number of our kids have come up as yet. It is also clear that it is difficult to compete for the Rising Star against teams with large numbers of top picks. However, we have had players who COULD have been noticed and they simply weren't.
We haven't had nominations since Garlett and Robinson and that group came on the scene.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #6
Just out of curiosity, how many collingwood and geelong players have been nominated over the past 3 years.

They have clearly been the benchmark for bringing through the kids.

I suspect the answer may be surprising to some (perhaps me) but i doubt its as many as most would think.

I actually think the AFL like giving it to lesser teams who need the hope and publicity of having 'genuine talent' coming through. All i can remember is hack sides getting repeated nominations. (i could be wrong)

Reply #7
Just out of curiosity, how many collingwood and geelong players have been nominated over the past 3 years.

I suspect the answer may be surprising to some (perhaps me) but i doubt its as many as most would think.

I actually think the AFL like giving it to lesser teams who need the hope and publicity of having 'genuine talent' coming through. All i can remember is hack sides getting repeated nominations. (i could be wrong)

Your comparing our side with teams that have finished consistently in the top 4 and played in 4 of the last 5 Grand Finals?
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #8

Your comparing our side with teams that have finished consistently in the top 4 and played in 4 of the last 5 Grand Finals?

Kinda...

Geelong and Pies are the benchmark. How do we stack up against that?

When i said 'lesser teams' i'm talking about off-field. The new teams, the interstate teams the lesser melbourne sides etc.

FYI...Rising stars from 2010 - 2013
GWS - 11
GC - 7
Melb - 7
WB - 6
BL - 6
Ade - 6
Geel - 6
Rich - 6
Haw - 5
Ess - 4
WCE - 4
PA - 4
NM - 3
Fre - 3
Coll - 3
Syd - 3
STK - 2
Carl - 2

Collingwood (3), Sydney (3) and Cats (6) are all known for their development of players who become 'guns' and have been the best sides going around over the period in question. We had 2.

Reply #9

Congratulations on initiating this thread.

An important observation and yet another indicator of our poor development, recruiting and dreadful list management. On its own, not a huge indicator, but when coupled with all the other sh1te...
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #10
Getting the weekly nominations is nice but when are we going to produce a player that actually wins the award overall ??
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #11
I think you are so right Sheik
We need to inject young talent this year - lots of it.
Best not to get rid of our draft choices.

Reply #12
Rising Star means nothing, by round 10 they start scraping the bottom of the barrell.  If you look at the Rising Star ladder above it's the under performing clubs who have been rebuilding/start up with the biggest numbers, Geelong being the only anomaly.  All it is, is selling hope to the supporters, same as playing the kids. 
Excuses year 1, blame year 2, contract extention year 3........