Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 16: Post Game Pessimism: Carlton vs Adelaide (Read 22232 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 16: Post Game _________: Carlton vs Adelaide

Reply #15
Interesting quote by Bolton:

"The Crows on turnover really hurt us, particularly in the second half," Blues coach Brendon Bolton said. "Overall they would have kicked 10 or 11 goals from turnover."

We lost by 10 goals, so it really hammers home where it was won and lost. Basically poor teams turnover the ball and good teams maintain possession - we don't have the class across the park yet.

Reply #16
The game may well have gone to script, but we look so far off the pace.....it has to be more than raising eyebrows. These past few weeks have shown me that Marc Murphy is clearly the most important player in this team & is in fact, more of a captain than a lot of us have ever given him credit for. We have been bordering on inept ever since he got injured.

.....and if I have to watch Kreuzer get absolutely schooled in the ruck YET AGAIN......it's gotten beyond a concern now, as his direct opponent YET AGAIN vies for B.O.G. honours, who YET AGAIN gives his team an armchair ride @ the centre clearances & who YET AGAIN also hurts us on the scoreboard. Is there a worse, more ineffective AFL ruckman right now? I don't think so.
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #17

"The Crows on turnover really hurt us, particularly in the second half," Blues coach Brendon Bolton said. "Overall they would have kicked 10 or 11 goals from turnover."

We lost by 10 goals, so it really hammers home where it was won and lost. Basically poor teams turnover the ball and good teams maintain possession - we don't have the class across the park yet.

And a lot of them were abysmal turnovers too......especially late in the 2nd quarter. Just rubbish football......

Reply #18
Is it time we tried Kruezer as part time rucking onballer?

Reply #19
in the seconds
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #20
He doesn't get cut slack for being an experienced three club player, he is expected to deliver more than a newbie but he regularly delivers less.

I was only pointing out that we got Everiit from Sydney for a straight swap of our pick 32 for their pick 39, in other words for almost nothing.
He was only just turned 25 when he played his first game for Carlton and had no injury history to speak of, so obviously other clubs didn't rate him very highly.
He delivers about what could reasonably be expected, which is why he's no longer at Footscray or Sydney.
His best is better than average, his worst is terrible.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #21
The game may well have gone to script, but we look so far off the pace.....it has to be more than raising eyebrows. These past few weeks have shown me that Marc Murphy is clearly the most important player in this team & is in fact, more of a captain than a lot of us have ever given him credit for. We have been bordering on inept ever since he got injured.

.....and if I have to watch Kreuzer get absolutely schooled in the ruck YET AGAIN......it's gotten beyond a concern now, as his direct opponent YET AGAIN vies for B.O.G. honours, who YET AGAIN gives his team an armchair ride @ the centre clearances & who YET AGAIN also hurts us on the scoreboard. Is there a worse, more ineffective AFL ruckman right now? I don't think so.

A game like that helps you make up your mind on players future's, some of our blokes didnt contest well enough and as you suggest we look a bit rudderless without Murphy with only Simpson and Rowe providing any real leadership...
Jacobs like Talia continues to bite us on the Ar$e and I have also made the point about Kruezer's recent lack of impact on games compared to his opponents...Hickey, Grundy and now Jacobs have had nearly BOG's vs us in recent games and the club need to look at another ruckman like Tom Downie from GWS to partner Philips for the future..

Reply #22

When we had a great run for 7 games our disposal and ball movement was really good. Problem is often attitude.

Reply #23
59-51 inside 50s but 30-15 scoring shots. Need to play another key forward to help Levi.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #24
59-51 inside 50s but 30-15 scoring shots. Need to play another key forward to help Levi.

I have no doubt the coaches know this, which is why I raised the big T question.

Reply #25
A game like that helps you make up your mind on players future's, some of our blokes didnt contest well enough and as you suggest we look a bit rudderless without Murphy with only Simpson and Rowe providing any real leadership...
Jacobs like Talia continues to bite us on the Ar$e and I have also made the point about Kruezer's recent lack of impact on games compared to his opponents...Hickey, Grundy and now Jacobs have had nearly BOG's vs us in recent games and the club need to look at another ruckman like Tom Downie from GWS to partner Philips for the future..

Our problem with our ruckmen is they are no good when they have to share. That's because they are no good when they are not on the ball. Go back a few weeks when Kreuzer was the lone ruckman, he was a different player. He was considered a hero in our wins. Brilliant in our win against the Pies, a hero against port, and outstanding against Geelong with 11 tackles. Bring Phillips back to share duties and our ruck division turns to crap. The difference between Kreuzer the lone ruckman and the one who shares ruck duties are light years apart. We know how to get the best out of Kreuzer and Casboult, our best ruck combination, but we don't go down that path. We prefer to travel the path of failure at match committee level. Good teams play to their strengths. We did when we won 6 games from 7 but now we are back to playing to our weaknesses like early in the year when we couldn't kick a goal to save ourselves. What part of that simple equation doesn't the club get.

Like I said I mostly blame the selection committee.

Reply #26

Levi needs to find some form in the VFL, 7 touches, 3 frees and a 50m conceded are woeful numbers and it's the second time in a fortnight, in fact he's only reached double figure possessions once in his last 6 games.
There comes a time.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #27

Yes, Jaksch in, Phillips out. Drop Everitt and Walker and bring in a couple of runners.

Reply #28

And we did there for a while until Bolton, in his 'wisdom', decided to drop him for no apparent reason......

Reply #29
Levi needs to find some form in the VFL, 7 touches, 3 frees and a 50m conceded are woeful numbers and it's the second time in a fortnight, in fact he's only reached double figure possessions once in his last 6 games.
There comes a time.

No, he needs help up forward. He cannot be expected to be the one key forward against an entire defence in a crappy team. That would get most down except the very best, especially one who came off an injury that was supposed to keep him out for much of the year. If you drop him then you still have one key forward one out against the opposition defence. Would do nothing. Play two of them then you spread the defence and it allows Casboult to get up the ground and get his hands on it as it comes out of defence taking a defender with him. He's a confidence player. If he gets his hands on the ball early he generally plays pretty well. Right now we are doing our best to kill his confidence.

When did we start winning games and hitting the scoreboard this year, when we played one ruckman and a second key forward.