Skip to main content
Topic: AAMI Community Match vs Melbourne (Read 5481 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AAMI Community Match vs Melbourne

Reply #45
I thought O’Brien contributed a fair bit, good and bad, but he kept cracking in.

It was only a low bar but I think it might have been the best game I have seen from him; committed his body to the contest more than I have ever seen before.

Reply #46
Willo played the second half as a key forward.  I think that you would have to excuse any errors on his part because of his unfamiliarity with the role.  Of course, he was involved in several chains of possessions that resulted in scores.  He's a lock for Round 1.

He's a lock to be helping Paddy Dow and Matty Cottrell in the twos. Has no composure when he gets the ball.

Reply #47
He's a lock to be helping Paddy Dow and Matty Cottrell in the twos. Has no composure when he gets the ball.
Its a shame, he has a huge tank and when his confidence is up has a nice left foot that can penetrate. Had high hopes for him, I now feel along with Setters is just depth.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #48
I doubt anyone has any doubt about the differences Voss is making when you watch how we move the ball and our decision making, the panic has gone, it's just not there anymore and there are blokes selling candy all over the field which puts the kibosh on robotic opponents.

Let's hope it persists into the main season, and it will be interesting to see how this goes against Nthmond.

People can claim Melbourne looked flat, but the emotion on the faces of Oliver and Petracca, as well as the bemusement on the face of Gawn cannot be hidden!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #49
Kennedy....the overnight success that's taken its time.
There was a game last year when he was the medical sub and came on with a lot of energy.
It was one of the first times I noticed that he looked confident and ready to impose himself.

I'll have to recheck it but I think while I was doing a scan of the B&F last year and noticed that Kennedy scored better than any player except Walsh and Weitering after the bye.
So maybe not that surprising. ;)

Reply #50
Ruck is still a potential problem for us.

Pitto gives away height and leap, and De Koning is not super strong body on body, but the two have other strings to their bow as long as they can make it work each week. Was very impressed with Pitto's ground work, SpecialK is having an influence.

Neither are super tap rucks, so we can ignore that, Gawn was probably best for Melbourne but we still thrashed them in the midfield which is why centre bounce ruck taps are so over-rated, in the centre it's all about the 2nd effort and they beat Gawn at his own game, he looked stunned which is a huge tell. That is confidence sapping, especially if they can do it again to him during the season!

PS; For those who scoffed back at the time, I'm pretty comfortable with my De Koning / Peter Moore analogy!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #51
Kennedy....the overnight success that's taken its time.
There was a game last year when he was the medical sub and came on with a lot of energy.
It was one of the first times I noticed that he looked confident and ready to impose himself.

I'll have to recheck it but I think while I was doing a scan of the B&F last year and noticed that Kennedy scored better than any player except Walsh and Weitering after the bye.
So maybe not that surprising. ;)

I know everyone wants to laud a coach, or someone for making a difference, but in Kennedy's case, maturity seems to be the major point of difference.

He was faffing about a bit early on, and then when his career hit a almost over point, it seems to have been the wake up call he needed to get going, and instead of being the main event, turned him into accepting that he might just be a role player after all and that there is nothing wrong with that.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #52
He was outstanding. Exactly the play Cripps and Walsh needed.

The word is that the coaching/recruiting team new that he was a good player but cant believe jut how good he is. 

Reply #53
I know everyone wants to laud a coach, or someone for making a difference, but in Kennedy's case, maturity seems to be the major point of difference.

He was faffing about a bit early on, and then when his career hit a almost over point, it seems to have been the wake up call he needed to get going, and instead of being the main event, turned him into accepting that he might just be a role player after all and that there is nothing wrong with that.

Kennedy attributes his vast improvement to L. Power and T. Clarke.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #54
It was only a low bar but I think it might have been the best game I have seen from him; committed his body to the contest more than I have ever seen before.
Noticed exactly the same thing... put his body in. And he looked like he belonged out there... a first and enormously encouraging as he does have plenty of up side. Now to continue the improvement.

Reply #55

Did you not see how he quickly moved the ball on for a goal after marking on the lead?

I think Willo is right up there with O’Brien and Plowman when it comes to whipping boys.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #56
The new dynamic in the midfield was the most exciting thing for me.  I reckon they should be looking at getting Dow into the mix - he was never going to make it as an in and under mid, but with Hewitt/Cerra/Cripps/Kennedy hopefully doing much of that heavy lifting, the outside run someone like Dow (to complement Walsh) may become far more useful. 

Loved McGovern's game, but I don't think he'll get too many weeks where he gets to play on his own.

We still need more composure in the back half - still a few 'deer in headlights' moments.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #57
Its a shame, he has a huge tank and when his confidence is up has a nice left foot that can penetrate. Had high hopes for him, I now feel along with Setters is just depth.

I thought he'd be depth when we got him at pick 61. Done better than his pick suggested but, yes, likely to be depth if we get most of the full compliment of players.

Reply #58
Did you not see how he quickly moved the ball on for a goal after marking on the lead?

I think Willo is right up there with O’Brien and Plowman when it comes to whipping boys.

Yes. Impressive (Willo hand-off).

And perhaps it's time to wipe the whipping boy slate clean and have an open mind to our blokes in 2022.

Reply #59
Yes. Impressive (Willo hand-off).

And perhaps it's time to wipe the whipping boy slate clean and have an open mind to our blokes in 2022.

My whipping boy is no longer with us, just watch him become a super star now!
Reality always wins in the end.