Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 6: Carlton vs. Hawthorn (Read 46975 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 6: Carlton vs. Hawthorn

Reply #225
I just think they can use Levi in the ruck more, perhaps leave SpecialK behind the footy as another defacto tall defender and let Jones run and intercept more, tell SpecialK not to enter the F50.

For mine, Krooz is arguably (along with Cripps) the most effective player we have. Whatever it takes to maximise his effectiveness and longevity, Im fine with that. If that means Casboult, that's ok. If it means a 2nd ruck, I'm ok with that too.

I just don't feel Cas is much of a ruckman. It feels sometimes like we have already lost the tap out and clearance.

Reply #226
Just covered on SEN, they agreed it was the right call not to tag o’meara - we were 6 goals up at half time. The coaching staff obviously made a call that they would stick with what got them playing so well in the first place.  You’d be foolish to think they ‘missed’ it or were blind to his influence but they decided to go another way. That’s why they are paid the big bucks and we aren’t.

That said, you live and die by the sword and I’ve got no doubt this decision will be reviewed in the wrap up.

Agree with all that Jeffy. Nice post. Learning for all. I'm sure even Clarkson is still learning.

Reply #227
For mine, Krooz is arguably (along with Cripps) the most effective player we have. Whatever it takes to maximise his effectiveness and longevity, Im fine with that. If that means Casboult, that's ok. If it means a 2nd ruck, I'm ok with that too.

I just don't feel Cas is much of a ruckman. It feels sometimes like we have already lost the tap out and clearance.

He needs to be coached to ignore the tap and use his strength and speed, he's the strongest player in our club but he doesn't use it in the ruck. I'd be asking him to hurt some opponents with tackles, giving away free kicks from aggressive tackles will be his measure of success. When the umpire throws the ball up Levi's first thought should be tackle after jumping. That eventually has an impact on opponents, it's the Mumford and McEvoy way!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #228

Wow. Really ? Thanks for that. That means only 12 after 1/2 time.

Translation ? His team mates woke up and thought maybe they should help out.

Credit where it's due though. He's a very neat player and played very well.

Reply #229
He needs to be coached to ignore the tap and use his strength and speed, he's the strongest player in our club but he doesn't use it in the ruck. I'd be asking him to hurt some opponents with tackles, giving away free kicks from aggressive tackles will be his measure of success. When the umpire throws the ball up Levi's first thought should be tackle after jumping. That eventually has an impact on opponents, it's the Mumford and McEvoy way!

Folks on here has been asking for this since forever.

Reply #230
if our coaching had a flaw it was after 1/2 time they ran two against Cripps and we didn't leverage that by having him take them away from the football.

We have become addicted to Cripps being at the coal face, yet if he stays out and drags those opponents with him we get extra numbers all over the ground!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #231
if our coaching had a flaw it was after 1/2 time they ran two against Cripps and we didn't leverage that by having him take them away from the football.

We have become addicted to Cripps being at the coal face, yet if he stays out and drags those opponents with him we get extra numbers all over the ground!

It's a fair point. Maybe they stuffed that one or maybe they were counting on winning the clearance and being able to take advantage of the Hawks less numbers on the outside ?

Reply #232

That is exactly what Clarkson does and what Hardwick does.
Give away a few frees away from goal, but really make the opposition know they will get hurt.
Levi, given he is not the greatest player, should offer a lot more physicality.
He should have crunched Howe yesterday a number of times.

Reply #233
It's a fair point. Maybe they stuffed that one or maybe they were counting on winning the clearance and being able to take advantage of the Hawks less numbers on the outside ?

Dawks new Cripps was the go to man, they dumped their opponents and charged into the center square to create numbers at every center stoppage. We had numbers on the outside but couldn't get to them before the Dawks won the footy and spread.

A couple of our young blokes may have become too accustomed to Cripps giving them easy football.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #234
Yep Paul, Casboult plays like the old recruiter's notes: boarding house cup of tea.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #235
K looked to have a bloodied and bandaged knee when he was on the bench and I saw him hobbling a bit too.

Reply #236
Dawks new Cripps was the go to man, they dumped their opponents and charged into the center square to create numbers at every center stoppage. We had numbers on the outside but couldn't get to them before the Dawks won the footy and spread.

A couple of our young blokes may have become too accustomed to Cripps giving them easy football.

Look, you may well be right. I dare say with 100 eyes watching, the coaches and others knew exactly what was happening, and made the decision to keep the structures as they were.

Cripps has spent more time forward in other games, that's for sure.

Reply #237
K looked to have a bloodied and bandaged knee when he was on the bench and I saw him hobbling a bit too.

Mmm. Hopefully it's nothing and just a minor cut.

Reply #238
Just covered on SEN, they agreed it was the right call not to tag o’meara - we were 6 goals up at half time. The coaching staff obviously made a call that they would stick with what got them playing so well in the first place.  You’d be foolish to think they ‘missed’ it or were blind to his influence but they decided to go another way. That’s why they are paid the big bucks and we aren’t.

That said, you live and die by the sword and I’ve got no doubt this decision will be reviewed in the wrap up.

Well if those clowns said it was the right call, I'm even more convinced it wasn't...

The coaching staff obviously made a call that they would stick with what got them playing so well in the first place. 

But they didn't do that at all.

Q3 starts and our blokes stopped playing man on man and stopped using the ball quickly. It was like they were protecting the lead.

The short dumb ass kicks were the undoing of them and the start of the blunder bus...
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #239
Well if those clowns said it was the right call, I'm even more convinced it wasn't...

But they didn't do that at all.

Q3 starts and our blokes stopped playing man on man and stopped using the ball quickly. It was like they were protecting the lead.

The short dumb ass kicks were the undoing of them and the start of the blunder bus...
Agree - seemed strange didn’t it? We really should’ve come out and annihilated them!