Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 6: Carlton vs. Hawthorn (Read 46973 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 6: Carlton vs. Hawthorn

Reply #270
Agree...we need a younger ruckman who can go the distance...Kreuzer is great and while he is on we need to take advantage but 5-6 goals ahead isnt enough, we needed to be 10 goals ahead to have a decent buffer knowing he cant run out the game injured or not. McEvoy wasnt right either but the impact he had in the 3rd quarter was massive IMO...

That was a significant aspect wasn't it, the first half game dominance was far greater than the scoreboard dominance!

In a year or two, with another 30 to 50 games into the kids, that game would have been over at 1/2 time.

It's a bit hypocritical of some fans, despite that dominance and frequently turning Dawks defenders inside out, they give BB no credit just a kicking for not winning.

That was probably the best we've played as a team for half a decade!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #271
That was a significant aspect wasn't it, the first half game dominance was far greater than the scoreboard dominance!

In a year or two, with another 30 to 50 games into the kids, that game would have been over at 1/2 time.

It's a bit hypocritical of some fans, despite that dominance and frequently turning Dawks defenders inside out, they give BB no credit just a kicking for not winning.

That was probably the best we've played as a team for half a decade!

That's true.  Something else I've noticed.  Plenty are dirty at us for going short and turning it over in the third, but that was exactly how we generated the bulk of our scoring in the first half.

Bolton was spot on.  Our issues stem from failing to adjust to the change in game when required.  We got it right against the Bulldogs last week and failed against hawthorn.  The only reason we got back in was because Hawthorn got in front and went into preservation mode themselves which suited us in terms of playing on at all costs in the last ten minutes.

The thing is that had to be measured.  We didn't have the bench to play full throttle footy for 4 quarters given Simpson and kreuzer were down at half time (hence the lack of confidence in the team from that point onwards). 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #272
For those interested, listen to some more talking heads on Access All Areas on the AFL website. From about 4.00 onwards.

Reply #273
The thing is that had to be measured.  We didn't have the bench to play full throttle footy for 4 quarters given Simpson and kreuzer were down at half time (hence the lack of confidence in the team from that point onwards).

Pre-2019 we would have had a cyclone of Runners out there structuring up the kids to put the breaks on the momentum swing, but not any more and I think that is a good thing.

The lack of Runners is really going to make club loyalty a big issue, because frequently changing lists won't be able to get their crap together.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #274
Why did they get a 50m penalty to put them right in front of goal yet SPS got an elbow to the head which apparently was reportable, but no 50m?

Why is H allowed to get his arms chopped continuously without ever getting a free?

Why was that guy allowed to walk into a better angle when he marked on the boundary line?

Why do they continuously get away with holding Cripps? Or land in our backs with no frees?

McKay, Cripps, Kreuzer, hardly small players, all repeatedly hit in the head and it's play on!

Secondly, when will the AFL do something about these "body spoils", too many good players are having their season ended by landing awkwardly after a small players cannon into the back of talls in marking contests, always without getting anywhere near the ball.

Roughead, first a trip, then a blatant push, neither penalised right in front of the umpire both times. Both resulted in goals!

So many Dawks players block in marking contests it's ridiculous, they fly through the contest behind their marking forward without making even a basic attempt to contest the mark or touch the ball.

Why wasn't it a 50M penalty for that striking report, isn't it supposed to be automatic? You hear the umpire say he's reported for elbowing SPS to the head but no 50M gets paid!

Frees were 19 to 10, no need to say who got the 10. Add that shocking bounce that should've been recalled that resulted in a direct goal. Maybe its time we stopped being Mr nice guy and asked a few questions about the ump's.

Will the Club ask for rule interpretations from the AFL?  ???
We won't hear what we want to hear but it will at least be on record and may impact future umpiring.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #275
Will the Club ask for rule interpretations from the AFL?  ???
We won't hear what we want to hear but it will at least be on record and may impact future umpiring.

I've been on about this for a while, fans argue it's pointless, but it isn't.

It's not complaining, but the act of continually querying and investigating the results eventually gets you game day favors. You do it under the guise of wanting to understand, to learn, eventually and naturally umpires start making decisions to avoid your unending barrage of questions. Like the parent of the kid who continually asks, "But why?"

The Dawks and Cats are professionals at it, Dimma has picked up this trait recently as well! Skilled and drilled clubs start asking the umpiring questions before the game is even played! Fans need to keep in mind AFL Umpires are all part-time, they read the papers, watch the telly and listen to the radio like the rest of us!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #276
SPS has had a pretty stiff run from the umpires in the last couple of weeks. We seem to get pinged a bit for holding the ball but get very few holding the ball decisions our way when we lay good tackles.

Reply #277
yep.  I reckon it happened in the second, and he tried to carry it and it wasnt until we needed to lift that he was taken out of the game.

This theme has happened far too often with kreuzer.  Hes a gun, but he has become the reason we win or his breaking down has become the reason we lose because we dont adjust well enough after he breaks down.

True.  I'm really torn on this. He's probably my favourite player but we just can't rely on him. At what stage do you call it and weigh up whether being on the list is a hindrance or a help? Is there such a thing as too much loyalty?
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #278
That's true.  Something else I've noticed.  Plenty are dirty at us for going short and turning it over in the third, but that was exactly how we generated the bulk of our scoring in the first half.

Bolton was spot on.  Our issues stem from failing to adjust to the change in game when required.  We got it right against the Bulldogs last week and failed against hawthorn.  The only reason we got back in was because Hawthorn got in front and went into preservation mode themselves which suited us in terms of playing on at all costs in the last ten minutes.

Must have been watching a different game!  :o
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #279
SPS has had a pretty stiff run from the umpires in the last couple of weeks. We seem to get pinged a bit for holding the ball but get very few holding the ball decisions our way when we lay good tackles.

He's become a bit showy with the ball handling recently but I wouldn't want to change his ways. If you watch him he's doing a bit of the one handed show and go stuff, and especially yesterday the Dawks got hold of that arm quite a bit. The Dawks are well coached, SPS telegraphed some of his moves and they made him pay!

I thought yesterday was Fisher's best game ever, I was pretty please with Cunningham as well, even though both had mistakes you have to back them in a pump up the positives.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #280
True.  I'm really torn on this. He's probably my favourite player but we just can't rely on him. At what stage do you call it and weigh up whether being on the list is a hindrance or a help? Is there such a thing as too much loyalty?

The other key regarding Kreuzer is that he is the ultimate warrior but he just doesn't play well injured. He's not worth carrying for the sake of having him on the park.

Reply #281
We need to learn how to win games based upon multiple contributors (=team effort)  as opposed to relying on individual superhuman efforts.   The second "methodology" isn't sustainable.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #282
We need to learn how to win games based upon multiple contributors (=team effort)  as opposed to relying on individual superhuman efforts.   The second "methodology" isn't sustainable.

The team effort across the entire group got us so far in front to lead the game. Almost faultless by entire team. Hence proof that this list could work very well for us.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #283
A good example of how things will change with time is that intercept mark on Walsh.

I think a senior player tried to spot him up in the corridor, I want to say Jones or Weitering. A lot of fans bagged the kick, but while Walsh did attack the footy he only really went at it 80%, which allowed the Dawks to get a spoil in. That won't happen again this season to Walsh, it's a learning moment!

Waiting for the footy in AFL is a no no, yet when you watch AFL kids play it's the most common way they bring themselves undone.

Bagging the kick is easy, but kicks aren't 100% perfect ever, and it was in the good zone. But Walsh only need 1m more on that opponent and he takes an uncontested mark, In fact the opponent might not have even tried to make a spoil out of fear of being penalised 50m!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #284
That's the beauty of Walsh.  You'd only need to tell him once.  Very "old school" in that regard.