Skip to main content
Topic: Referendum to alter Federal Constitution- Indigenous recognition  (Read 4597 times) previous topic - next topic

Referendum to alter Federal Constitution- Indigenous recognition

Have noticed Adam Goodes on recent TV advertisements regarding a proposed federal referendum  re proposed changes to Federal constitution in recognition of indigenous Australians.

Apologies I can't find a more recent article than this outlying the proposal - http://www.theage.com.au/national/hopes-high-for-unity-on-indigenous-referendum-20120119-1q8i4.html - but I suspect there will be much written in near future.

Thoughts ?
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Re: Referendum to alter Federal Constitution- Indigenous recognition

Reply #1
Football players should stay out of politics!  ;)

No offense to Adam, I agree with his early calls, but he isn't a spring chicken so where was his voice for the last 10 or 15 years of his career?

I get the feeling Adam has worked out the ongoing debate is a good lead-in to a post football career in media, politics or bureaucracy, but I admit I am very skeptical.

"The Mad Monk" gave Adam a BOG for Australia, does that mean Adam is likely to become a Liberal?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #2
I will vote no for any changes to the Federal constitution period. It's worked for over a century and I have no faith in the powers that be - they are truly untrustworthy in my opinion. I see no requirement except for the feel good factor to recognize groups of people whether indigenous or not and find the whole idea quite divisive.

When people mention constitutional reform I see agendas with the subject of the hour (indigenous recognition in this case) the carrot to start the process which in my opinion is probably disingenuous in the outset. Last time it was the republic now it's the aboriginals so if that doesn't work - who or what is next. When it comes to these matters it pays to ask - who stands to benefit from this and don't kid yourself it's the indigenous population.

Reply #3
Recognising the aboriginal people in the constitution is hardly the "subject of the hour"... I'd happily vote yes.

We won't ever become  a republic, but we shouldn't forget  that no Australian can become the constitutional head of state. If that isn't discrimination, I don't know what is!

Reply #4
Recognising the aboriginal people in the constitution is hardly the "subject of the hour"... I'd happily vote yes.

We won't ever become  a republic, but we shouldn't forget  that no Australian can become the constitutional head of state. If that isn't discrimination, I don't know what is!

Why do the Aboriginal people require recognition in the constitution? It's divisive. I disagree and suspect we never will and that's fine.

Reply #5

Really, never knew that :o

Reply #6
Aren't we all Australians, should we list Australians in the constitution?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #7

Have to agree with you (in part)

The actual proposal hasn't been detailed but I suspect it will comprise a dual referendum. The reason it will be a dual question is because I suspect it will comprise amendment  of s 127 (in the substantive part of Constitution) which comprises offensive reference to aboriginals from an earlier time , precluding them from being considered when counting population numbers. Although it has been negated by having a line put through it, it is still there for all to read and be reminded of such human disregard. With this amended I will agree. The second question I suspect will comprise an alteration of the preamble, to make specific reference to aboriginals as the original inhabitants. The preamble, whilst not part of the substantive provisions of the Constitution,  provides a type of purposive background which may, in the presence of ambiguity relating to a constitutional question, be used for interpretive purposes. Regardless of any included  reference to there being no effect on substantive part of the Constitution, a preamble reference is a recording of circumstance on which Constitution is based, an effect cannot be totally discounted, so on this question I would say NO, because IMO that would constitute a discriminatory scenario to other races. If the referendum is based as a dual question without the ability to agree to one part whilst not the other, my response will be NO to the whole thing.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #8

Have to agree with you (in part)

The actual proposal hasn't been detailed but I suspect it will comprise a dual referendum. The reason it will be a dual question is because I suspect it will comprise amendment  of s 127 (in the substantive part of Constitution) which comprises offensive reference to aboriginals from an earlier time , precluding them from being considered when counting population numbers. Although it has been negated by having a line put through it, it is still there for all to read and be reminded of such human disregard. With this amended I will agree.
I agree 100%

The second question I suspect will comprise an alteration of the preamble, to make specific reference to aboriginals as the original inhabitants. The preamble, whilst not part of the substantive provisions of the Constitution,  provides a type of purposive background which may, in the presence of ambiguity relating to a constitutional question, be used for interpretive purposes. Regardless of any included  reference to there being no effect on substantive part of the Constitution, a preamble reference is a recording of circumstance on which Constitution is based, an effect cannot be totally discounted, so on this question I would say NO, because IMO that would constitute a discriminatory scenario to other races. If the referendum is based as a dual question without the ability to agree to one part whilst not the other, my response will be NO to the whole thing.
I agree 100%.

No race, no religion, no politics.

The constitution should specifically be worded to be inclusive in all circumstances.

There is not a single human living in Australia who ancestors didn't come here from somewhere else first! No humans evolved independently in Australia, and God didn't put them here either!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #9
I'll probably be voting 'yes'.  I wholeheartedly agree with the principle of recognising the first people in our constitution but I will wait to see the wording before making a final decision.

It's not that long ago that non-Indigenous Australians voted overwhelmingly to recognise Indigenous Australians as citizens of the land they have occupied for around 60,000 years.  I suspect that, as long as it is a meaningful change, Australians will once again vote to amend the constitution.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #10
I'll probably be voting 'yes'.  I wholeheartedly agree with the principle of recognising the first people in our constitution but I will wait to see the wording before making a final decision.

It's not that long ago that non-Indigenous Australians voted overwhelmingly to recognise Indigenous Australians as citizens of the land they have occupied for around 60,000 years.  I suspect that, as long as it is a meaningful change, Australians will once again vote to amend the constitution.

Agree. I can't imagine the wording being too contentious though.