Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 9: Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 11675 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 9: Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #45
Disagree, think most expected us to be above both those teams, think the general view is that the Hawks are way off the pace as they showed vs Nth Melb and scribes have them as no chance for a flag for a long while.
The fact is like i said we can improve but its all about the rate of improvement and we are just slower at the minute.

Not according to Jeffery.  ::)  ::)

Reply #46
Richmond, Brisbane, Port Adelaide, Bulldogs and Melbourne flexed their muscles when they had to against us. Don't let the score lines fool you, we were never ever going to win those games.

We were never going to win them even before the season started.

Reply #47
Just a question
Does anyone think we learnt anything today that we didn't already know?

I think today was pretty much a 'nothing' day?
No progress, but no backward steps either.
The margin wasn't huge, but we were probably saved a bit in that respect by their comparable inaccuracy and the weather.
We probably won't feature heavy in football discussions this week as most of it's been done to death.

Mate that is exactly what I said to my daughter on the way home from the game.
My observations (was seated behind the goals level 1 behind the Carlton Cheer squad):
- Melb mids seemed to track the ball and hunt in packs of 4 or 5 putting pressure on us. They would spread hard when they won it.
- Their ball movement from Def to Fwd was very slick, ours was scruffy and inefficient. We have to work so hard for our goals, they seemed to do something creative nearly every time they went fwd.
- The value of a gun ruckman was on display today.
- Crippa just tries to do too much, gets caught too often and turns it over too often. I think he needs to get back to basics.
- I saw 6 defenders at their end who looked structured and made our fwds lives hard. Ours were bit all over the shop. Ol mate Plow was bit ordinary at times with his effort and disposal.
I'm note sure what to take out of it other than I can see why Melb are 9-0 and we are 3-6. I predicted a 4-5 goal loss and that's what happened.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #48
Just a question
Does anyone think we learnt anything today that we didn't already know?

I think today was pretty much a 'nothing' day?
No progress, but no backward steps either.
The margin wasn't huge, but we were probably saved a bit in that respect by their comparable inaccuracy and the weather.
We probably won't feature heavy in football discussions this week as most of it's been done to death. 

(Just want to add that Melbourne were nothing special and some of their lairy high handpasses smacked of an arrogance that would be belted out of them by some sides. )
More confirmation rather than learning anything new.

To me it confirmed that we are not that far away. Hear me out.

1. Dees are unbeaten this year, so losing to them is no shame
2. Dees defence has kept opposition sides to an average of 61 points for so far this season. We exceeded that, with Harry having 1 arm, injuries to probably 4 other starting forwards (Martin, Fisher, Curnow, Silvagni) and did so mainly in pouring rain.
3. We played poorly, but still only lost by less than 5 goals. We have a knack of doing this...staying in games. What happens when we get players back and start to click.
4. We are doing all of the above with Cripps being a liability. Previously its been solely because of Cripps.

So.....with all the negative about us, injuries, playing poorly etc etc....we simply will not die, will not go away. What happens when we shed some of that negativity? What happens when we can pick a side that we want to pick, not a side that is thrust upon us because of injuries.

We are 1 step away from winning ugly. Thats when teams rocket up the ladder. If you play poorly and win.

Reply #50
Just a quick one - I only saw bits and pieces of the game today (end of q1 thru to late in the 3rd).   Just looked at the stats and they say weeters didn’t take a mark?

Is that right?
When was the last time that happened?
Were melb just good at taking him out of the play?

Reply #51
Re Williams
I too was critical of his underwhelming output.
Interesting Teague talked about sending down back where he's familiar, and can build his confidence. Here's hoping he can bounce back and develop quickly in the midfield.

Re Cripps
Teague's admission of poor, dishonest  Presser comments about Crippa's back injury was embarrassing IMO
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #52
Just a quick one - I only saw bits and pieces of the game today (end of q1 thru to late in the 3rd).   Just looked at the stats and they say weeters didn’t take a mark?

Is that right?

That's right. No marks. Not sure when he last did that. I think Melbourne was pretty slick with their ball use, and i think this was one of our poorer performances for the season. Weitering competed hard, but he and many of our other boys were down today. The Dees took 14 marks inside 50 from 52 entries, which is pretty good going IMO.

Reply #53
More confirmation rather than learning anything new.

To me it confirmed that we are not that far away. Hear me out.

1. Dees are unbeaten this year, so losing to them is no shame
2. Dees defence has kept opposition sides to an average of 61 points for so far this season. We exceeded that, with Harry having 1 arm, injuries to probably 4 other starting forwards (Martin, Fisher, Curnow, Silvagni) and did so mainly in pouring rain.
3. We played poorly, but still only lost by less than 5 goals. We have a knack of doing this...staying in games. What happens when we get players back and start to click.
4. We are doing all of the above with Cripps being a liability. Previously its been solely because of Cripps.

So.....with all the negative about us, injuries, playing poorly etc etc....we simply will not die, will not go away. What happens when we shed some of that negativity? What happens when we can pick a side that we want to pick, not a side that is thrust upon us because of injuries.

We are 1 step away from winning ugly. Thats when teams rocket up the ladder. If you play poorly and win.

Agree with a lot of that but....
Today showed that while we might get players back in the coming weeks there is also a very good chance we'll lose some as well.
More of a chance if some of these 'niggly' injuries get worse because players attempt to play through them.

Reply #54
Why are we injured so easily?

It’s so infuriating.

I love cripps but he gets caught HOTB way too often!

Reply #55
Result did surprise me. I expected a bigger loss on the scoreboard. I remember that the Dees were due for a loss. Not this week. Next week against the Hawks is a bad situation for Teague. A win will prove nothing. A loss will highlight way too much. Wouldn’t want to be in his shoes. Somehow continuing to get closer to the bottom 4 is going to put the heat on the club very soon. Honourable losses only go so far. The media will turn the burners up another level if our squad don’t find that little extra soon. On that note we better not play the Hawks back into form. We will never hear the end of it.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #56
Why are we injured so easily?

It’s so infuriating.

I love cripps but he gets caught HOTB way too often!
Agree...effort was there he just needs to get rid of the ball quicker mainly by hand, he had Oliver and Harmes rotating off him
and just seems to get slower as the game progresses.
He isnt right and he should have been rested, I hope we dont do the same with harry who had a taped shoulder in the Dogs game and seems to have injured himself during todays game.
The win might be important in the short term but you dont mess with your key players well being by playing them injured.

Reply #57
I agree having a stable list helps, we dont have a settled lineup and are still mucking around organizing deckchairs rather than
game plans/style. eg Melb had 3-4 targets and we had one, injuries have robbed us of players and time to construct a team.
No use sacking coaches, we just need more time and luck with players and its going to be uncomfortable viewing for a while...

But we have been saying this for twenty years, and this year just adds to the misery.

Despite many first round picks we have an unbalanced list clogged with players just going through the motions - no passion and little ability.

Where are the forward coaches?  Again today, as in so many matches, it was a case of bombing the ball from the forward 50 metre arc.  It doesn't work but we keep doing it.

Just another wasted year with the Club producing the same old same old.

Reply #58

Is that right?
Melbourne had four targets who could take a mark as well as Gawn hanging around at times down forward and
the game didnt lend itself to a lot of defensive marking and was more a day for spoiling and being conservative. I thought Weitering was ok today and seem to rotate between opponents.
Fritch was a nuisance being that inbetween size marking player and we looked a player short with Parks having an absolute shocker.

Reply #59
In some ways I would have preferred to lose by 10 goals.   That way some change of mindset at the selection table might take place.