Skip to main content
Topic: New Skipper? (Read 79576 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: New Skipper?

Reply #270
Walker is the interesting one. Coach throwing down the gauntlet, keen to see if he responds

Reply #271
Walker is the interesting one. Coach throwing down the gauntlet, keen to see if he responds

Yes - I noticed both Krooz and Daisy were omitted, and I thought maybe Bolts doesn't like injury prone players in the leadership group. Then I saw Walks...............

Reply #272
There's an interesting interview with the skipper here:

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/video/2016-02-15/murphy-appointed-skipper-for-2016?camefrom=EMCL_960581_38146485

Clearly the playing group and coaches think more highly of Murph's leadership than some supporters.  Murph is obviously aware of the knocks on his captaincy but he's also confident that he is the right man for the job.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #273

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #274
Bazinga!

Reply #275
It's a pretty good group with Murph as, IMO, the obvious choice for capt. for the time being. Good to see Simmo in there as the senior elder statesman, Cripps as a rep of the younger guys and Curnow as a testament to sheer effort!  8)

1AW must going OK too.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #276

One thing about this photo that stands out to me - Cripps is an absolute monster.....
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #277
One thing about this photo that stands out to me - Cripps is an absolute monster.....

Yes, particularly with how his head seems so much bigger  ;)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #278
It's a pretty good group with Murph as, IMO, the obvious choice for capt. for the time being. Good to see Simmo in there as the senior elder statesman, Cripps as a rep of the younger guys and Curnow as a testament to sheer effort!  8)

1AW must going OK too.

Is the inclusion of Simmo and 1AW a sign that some of the older guys have now clicked and realise that time is fast running out?

Perhaps this might mean we recover faster than we expect!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #279
Did Simmo ever require anything to click ? Observing as an outsider, he has come across to me as our spiritual leader for a number of years.

Reply #280
Did Simmo ever require anything to click ? Observing as an outsider, he has come across to me as our spiritual leader for a number of years.
I would agree that Simmo has been the Spiritual leader for quite some time.  Just a pity he has has been surrounded by too many atheists......

If everyone in Navy Blue put in as much as Simmo, we would be far better off
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #281
I would agree that Simmo has been the Spiritual leader for quite some time.  Just a pity he has has been surrounded by too many atheists......

If everyone in Navy Blue put in as much as Simmo, we would be far better off

Yep - very happy he is now VC. I was hoping he'd be made skipper.

Reply #282
There's a great article on Ed Curnow in today's Age.

I have put it here because it covers Murph's captaincy too.

"I really wanted to get in and help Murph - it can't be all on him," said Curnow, a 26-year-old whose presence in an expanded seven-man group is testament to the multi-layered benefits of hard work, which not only brings results but also makes you an exemplar for others to follow.

"Last year there was the media, scrutiny from fans and in-club a bit too. He was copping it, and I saw that first hand. It would have been really hard for him emotionally, as it was for a lot of us players, going out there and getting smashed. But he was copping the brunt of everything that came with losing.

"Just to be a real support for him, I'm pumped about being there for him."

. . .

Discarded by Adelaide after a game-less rookie season in 2008, given a second chance by the Blues after two years with Box Hill in the VFL, and noted more for his supreme workrate than abundant natural talent, Curnow epitomises leadership in its simplest form.

"I'm passionate about Carlton. I want us to do well, and anything I can do to improve the club, my teammates, I'll do it," said Curnow, who did not hesitate to put his name forward when nominations were called for last month.

"I think I connect well with a broad range of players. My standards at training and in games is high. I think the group's chosen me because they want me to keep driving those standards and values that we've chosen as a group."

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ed-curnow-joins-carltons-expanded-leadership-group-20160215-gmump1.html#ixzz40IDYpOZm

I wasn't really expecting Curnow to be in the leadership group, but after reading that, I'm glad he is.  I suppose it just shows how we're really guessing when it comes to evaluating leadership from the sidelines.

Reply #283

1AW must going OK too.

Good summery Cookie, I'm happy with this group, 7 is a good number, happy to see Simmo get some recognition with the VC too.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #284
All our leadership group (except for Cripp's obvious size) are small- med running players... the Carlton of old always had a gun big man as the leader.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?