Skip to main content
Topic: Carlton vs North Melbourne (Read 45886 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Carlton vs North Melbourne

Reply #61
Standouts for mine were Bell, Everitt and Cripps although not getting that much of it moved really well and seemed to not be a fumbler.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #62
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-match-report/star-recruits-nick-dal-santo-and-andrejs-everitt-steal-the-show-20140215-32swy.html

Even this report is pro North

You're not kidding. North, blistering, brilliant, Dal Santo walking on water, outrunning and out-possessing Carlton etc. etc. --- BUT, unfortunately losing! Bwahahaha!  ::)
Reminder to self...must stop reading this sort of tripe.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #63
I just got back from the game and have a few comments, as usual. This will probably end up as an essay, but....  ;D ;D

[1]   Our forward line still needs a lot of work. Had we had a decent key forward on the night, we would have won by 10 goals. Casboult had a shocker, apart from 1 great mark, and Waite worked hard but had little effect on the game.
[2]   It really was a practice match. We made a lot of position changes to try things out. For example, Andrew Walker was by far BOG in the first quarter across half back. But after half time he spent a lot of time up forward and had little influence. Similarly, Andreas Everitt kicked 3 early goals, but spent more time in defence on the night. He still did OK, but we lacked that guy to take a grab up forward, especially with the wind. Similarly, we took Tuohy off when he was close to BOG to give other guys a go. If the game was REALLY close, there is no way we would have taken him and Warnock off when we did.
[3]   Rowe is a trier, but he is not a key defender. He did OK on Petrie in patches, but he gave very little drive from defence and he was beaten too often. On the other hand, Matty Watson had a great night in defence and really showed a lot. He was outmarked twice, but otherwise really had a good night and gave good drive from defence.
[4]   Buckley as a defender: he did more than OK. Until he tired late in the game, he was dynamic in defence and really had the North small forwards under control.
[5]    Even when North were doing their best, we were still in control of the game. In the last 10 minutes we had plenty of opportunities to really get the game back to 3 - 4 goals, even against the huge wind. We took our foot off the accelerator: when things got really close, we picked up and got the ball out of the middle, or out of defence and deep into attack.
[6]   Frees: We still barely managed half the frees that North got. I was very disappointed in that. They didn't reward our tackles, especially when the man did not dispose of the ball, or took ages (some did 540ยบ and still didn't get pinged).
[7]   Cameron Wood actually played pretty well. That scared the sh*t out of me! When last I saw him play, he was most unimpressive. Well, he did remarkably well against a guy who was rated much higher than he was. Goldstein got taps late in the third and early in the last, but both Warnock and Wood were more effective.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #64
Tom Bell best game in a navy blue jumper, took the game on when he hard space, offloaded the ball when he didn't.

Robbo - GUN! Better decision making early with fatigue saw a bit of the old Robbo kicks but an improvement on 2013.

As a team I was impressed, tackled well and with purpose, every man was looking to shepperd for team mates and when we got into space we looked very good.

I can't agree with your critique of these 2 players, but agree that the team worked well. Perhaps partially because those 2 were doing the hard yards and team things. But, i do not want the ball in their hands as they make too many errors with it.

Yes, Bell kicked a good goal and yes he had some breakaway clearances, but almost every time he picked out the north blokes so well i think we have to get his eyes checked.

Robbo made better decisions than he usually would, but better than woeful is not that hard. Still a big worry with the ball in his hands.

Honestly, when you include some blokes who missed out today.....Judd, Carrazzo, Scotland, Simpson and Thomas it is the blokes of the caliber of Curnow, Armfield, Cachia, Lucas, Bell, Robinson, Buckley, Cripps, Graham and Ellard who miss from todays squad. From those players, i think Bell and Robbo are the worst users of the ball. Can we afford to carry them?

Reply #65
I think Bell and Robbo are the worst users of the ball. Can we afford to carry them?

Jeez Krudds you are seriously harsh on Bell. This kid is the #1 player on our list from last season looking to step up. Carrazzo was a horrible user of the ball early days and won a B&F. If MM didn't believe in these two boys I'd expect they would have been traded out last year.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #66
Rating: B
For the team we put on the park, we did pretty well.

Players:[1]   Walker:   Started like a house on fire and was brilliant in the first quarter and a bit. Then he moved forward and lost influence. Moved around later in the game and got good possessions. Walker had a good game and was one of our best overall.
[2]   Menzel: Not enough, but some really good signs. He tackled and chased well, he spent some time on the ball and did enough to look promising and he kicked the ball very well in the conditions. He really looked he can fill some of the void left by Eddie Betts, but he did tire.
[3]   Murphy: Very ordinary early, but he picked up as a game went on. He was very good at getting a hand in to ruin the North Melbourne ring a ring a Rosie with their infinite number of handballs.
[4]   Gibbs: not a great game. His kicks lacked their usual effect and he just didn't get much of the ball. he spent plenty of time on the wing and was rarely in the centre square.
[7]   Buckley: inspired early, especially in the 2nd quarter. he ran hard and did a very good job. Alas, he still ran out of gas. He could find a spot in defence.
[9]   Lucas: Not a great game, as he spent considerable time on the bench. He was quite reasonable early.
[10]   Watson: An excellent game from the big lad, where he beat a number of opponents and got out marked only twice. He did a lot of work and really gave some drive from defence. A big performer on the night.
[11]   Warnock: Had the better of Goldstein for much of the game and managed a lot of taps. Also kept Goldstein from getting any ball at all. (North made a mistake rucking Goldstein for so much of the game. Currie needs the work, but he got little time on the ruck and didn't do much.)
[12]   Robinson: very quiet early in the game, but he really got on top after quarter time. Pity his kicks are still unreliable. Robbo had a good game and really stood up when things were tight.
[13]   Yarran: Looked more at home in defence and did a pretty good job there for most of the game. Not so good in the 3rd and 4th quarters, but his ability to disrupt the North handball game was crucial.
[14]   McLean: Broke had a great game after a fairly quiet start. He got run off a few times, but he managed some really good clearance work.
[16]   Cripps: Didn't look out of place and clean with his possessions until the last quarter, where he had a couple of crucial fumbles. He is a big boy. Give him some time and he could be very interesting.
[17]   Rowe: Did adequately against Petrie, but he really didn't give much drive. Didn't look like a key defender.
[21]   Bootsma: Still too thin, but he did some nice things.
[26]   McInnes: Did a good job keeping his man under control for most of the night.
[27]   Armfield: Had a really quiet game with very little of the ball. What he did was pretty good, but he really had very little influence on the game and did not have any opportunities to use his pace.
[28]   Bell: Not enough yet from Big Tom, but he really did show some dash. When he got the ball, it went our way a long way. His clearances from the middle lead to scoring opportunities. 17 good possessions and 8 strong tackles.
[30]   Waite: worked hard but struggled with the wind and didn't have much of an influence. His best work actually well up the ground in the 2nd quarter.
[32]   Graham: not a big game. but OK.
[33]   Everitt: Had 3 goals early in the game and gave us something to kick to, before moving into defence. He played a solid game and showed he should be a starter for round 1.
[35]   Curnow: did a good negative job for most of the game, but got run over somewhat later in the game. 20 possessions.
[36]   Wood: When I saw that Wood was picked, I was worried. Wood hadn't done much against top opposition. However, he really pleasantly surprised me. He didn't win all the taps, but he competed well, he took a couple of nice marks and he kicked the winning goal. He also kept his man very quiet
[37]   Cachia: like Curnow, he had a negative job and he did it pretty well early. Not so good late after a fair spell on the pine. 10 tackles was very good. Basically, his man got a lot of the ball in the 3rd and early last quarters.
[41]   Casboult: had an ordinary game and didn't offer much of a target. He took 1 screamer and kicked a nice goal, but he man just beat him too often and gave North a lot of drive.
[42]   Tuohy: did an excellent job when he was on, but was rested for a fair bit of game. His goal was excellent and he really did keep his man down.
[46]   Ellard: started very ordinarily and had no impact in the first half at all. After half time he was a different player and kicked a couple of crucial goals.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #67
I think Bell and Robbo are the worst users of the ball. Can we afford to carry them?

Jeez Krudds you are seriously harsh on Bell. This kid is the #1 player on our list from last season looking to step up. Carrazzo was a horrible user of the ball early days and won a B&F. If MM didn't believe in these two boys I'd expect they would have been traded out last year.

Mate, i've got nothing against them and love their attack on the ball. But if they turn the ball over when they get it, what does it matter how tough they are when they don't have it?

Bell, has a lot to like and is still coming on as a young bloke.
Robbo, who everybody loves, needs to take the next step from up and coming kid, to genuinely good player.
Both need to improve their disposal and decision making to step up.

I agree that Carrazzo was a terrible user of the ball and needed to step up to earn his spot in the side, i think it is clear that he did improve his disposal and all around game. Kudos to him for doing that. Until Bell and Robbo do the same, there will be question marks over them. I don't think that is unfair.

As an exercise JK, pick your best 22. See where Bell and Robbo fit into it, if they do, and i reckon you'll have more people than just me pointing out that certain players missing deserve a spot in the best 22. ;)

Reply #68

I don't know if those two are the worst but IMHO over the last few seasons we have been by far the worst users of the ball in the competition. The stats might not agree, but stats don't tell you where on the ground the errors occur.

For a team that has dominated stoppages and clearances, we have had a very poor overall result primarily due to the bad ball use and poor decision making.

I'll go one step further and link this to that poor player development discussed elsewhere.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #69

Mate, i've got nothing against them and love their attack on the ball. But if they turn the ball over when they get it, what does it matter how tough they are when they don't have it?

Bell, has a lot to like and is still coming on as a young bloke.
Robbo, who everybody loves, needs to take the next step from up and coming kid, to genuinely good player.
Both need to improve their disposal and decision making to step up.

I agree that Carrazzo was a terrible user of the ball and needed to step up to earn his spot in the side, i think it is clear that he did improve his disposal and all around game. Kudos to him for doing that. Until Bell and Robbo do the same, there will be question marks over them. I don't think that is unfair.

As an exercise JK, pick your best 22. See where Bell and Robbo fit into it, if they do, and i reckon you'll have more people than just me pointing out that certain players missing deserve a spot in the best 22. ;)

I understand what your saying about best 22 Krudds but I like to think we should be thinking about those blokes who shall be stepping out in the next year or two and we are screening their replacements in this comp and their roles when selected in the real deal.

Worth noting...no Hendo or Jamo.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #70
Flabbergasted at the negativity here.  :o :o

We fielded a side minus at least 10 straight up starters. The Kangabies were far closer to full strength. The Kangabies had the better of the stats.

We learned so much from this game, as well as winning when all the pundits and some here, thought we would not.

On the negative side, we learned - Lucas is a dud. Bootsma is not far behind.

On the positive side, we saw how much value Everitt will likely bring. We won without 10 'first pick blokes' and non-dominant performances from Murph, Gibbs, Robbo, Waite etc...

On stats alone, we should have lost by about 3-5 goals.

Is there anyone else who'd like acknowledge positive indicators from this first hit-out? Sorry, but I think we did really well in this game and there was much to like about our intensity and endeavour... woops, positive  :-X :-X :-X
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #71

I actually thought Boots really worked hard and laid some crucial tackles. His kicking was better than most also.

I do pause to remember the lengthy criticism of Michael Sexton before he became a bona fide legend.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #72
It was a practice match for both teams. Feb form counts for $hit unless you're Melbourne  :D

Excuses year 1, blame year 2, contract extention year 3........

Reply #73
Flabbergasted at the negativity here.  :o :o

We fielded a side minus at least 10 straight up starters. The Kangabies were far closer to full strength. The Kangabies had the better of the stats.

We learned so much from this game, as well as winning when all the pundits and some here, thought we would not.

On the positive side, we saw how much value Everitt will likely bring. We won without 10 'first pick blokes' and non-dominant performances from Murph, Gibbs, Robbo, Waite etc...

On stats alone, we should have lost by about 3-5 goals.

Is there anyone else who'd like acknowledge positive indicators from this first hit-out? Sorry, but I think we did really well in this game and there was much to like about our intensity and endeavour... woops, positive  :-X :-X :-X

I dont have a lot to say but ill say this

Our newbies showed promise, we got through the game, no injuries that we know about yet and we are a week closer to the start of the season.

Aside from that winning form is good form and winning culture is also important.

The rest is just details.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #74
I reckon that not only are Bell and Robbo starters in our line up but they're very important to the side adding that hardness and perhaps making the opposition think twice before they go.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!