Skip to main content
Topic: Trumpled (Alternative Leading) (Read 385035 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Trumpled (Alternative Leading)

Reply #1755
I'm not an expert but I was told it's not "banks" but the central / reserve bank buying government bonds, which is a critical difference to commercial banks buying government bonds, it's the government / central / reserve bank buying it's own bonds to put cash into the system. The money they buy the bonds with was printed yesterday, and if you let the process run wild you can end up like Zimbabwe with 1000% inflation, so the governments walk a tightrope trying to balance the rate they print cash with the rate of GDP and other external sources of income!

A friend I have likes to describe it as "Your backyard pool trying to fill itself with it's own water!"

The US Government writes itself an IOU every time it prints some more cash, one that will never be honored!

You are correct LP it is Central banks, I should have been more clear....Some CB's ie ECB actually purchase corporate bonds as well, Its about driving yields down by purchasing long dated govt bonds across the structure. It Influences yields and borrowing across the private and corporate sector after cash rates hit rock bottom.
Cant see us getting negative rates like in some other countries but I can see QE being used...unemployment rates will be the trigger IMO.

Reply #1756
Interesting perspective from the Europeans at Davos, they basically ignored Trump, he conducted news conferences to mostly the US media that came with him to the conference.

It looks like the Euro media has pegged his fake claims and accusations as school yard bullying.

Who'd have thunk that ignoring the bully was the best way to deal with him! :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1758
Hmmm , it seems quantitative easing has now become a cheque directly to voters in the USA!   ???
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1759
I see Alan Jones is pulling the plug, he must have grown tired of fighting reality, will the Banana Bolt follow suit?

There are a few things in the world making the right wing shock jocks look like clowns at the moment, stuff they've gone suspiciously quiet about. Most notably the rapid and almost immediate decline in human induced pollution levels.

You know stuff like the CO2 emissions they claimed was caused by volcanoes, seems the volcanoes suffer badly from COVID-19! ::)

It must all be a Chinese and USA state conspiracy to mitigate horrendous emissions targets! :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1760
Well said, Spotted One. And how big a goose is Trump looking right now?
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #1761
Well said, Spotted One. And how big a goose is Trump looking right now?

As opposed to those other times when he looked like a polished, professional, accomplished leader ?  :o

For all of his very real and very significant faults, Trump is the symptom, not the disease. He is what gets vomited up when the system fails badly.

Reply #1762
https://www.theage.com.au/world/north-america/easy-target-for-trump-centrist-democrats-alarmed-by-sanders-surge-20200129-p53vu9.html

Democrats have lost the plot. Sanders is their only hope of beating Trump.

Could be some very nasty skeletons about to emerge from the Dem cupboard from what I've read? Anyway, apart from that, best of luck with Biden as their man.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #1763
Trump will destroy him.  And his son in the process

Reply #1764
This shouldn't even be a contest.
It will be.
How Biden is a better choice than many of those Democrats who dropped out defies logic.
But 'logic' and 'US politics' seem to be mutually exclusive.

The Dem VP choice will be significant.
They're (She's) going to have to take over at some stage. ;)

Reply #1765
The moneyball of politics!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1766
This shouldn't even be a contest.
It will be.
How Biden is a better choice than many of those Democrats who dropped out defies logic.
But 'logic' and 'US politics' seem to be mutually exclusive.

The Dem VP choice will be significant.
They're (She's) going to have to take over at some stage. ;)

The more sensational the president, the better able to run the country the people who truly wield power are.  Whilst everyone is talking about trump they are not able to focus on the true power players of US politics.

The book the hitchikers guide to the galaxy and Zaphod Beeblebrox comes to mind.   Douglas Adams was on the money 30+ years ago.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #1767
As opposed to those other times when he looked like a polished, professional, accomplished leader ?  :o

For all of his very real and very significant faults, Trump is the symptom, not the disease. He is what gets vomited up when the system fails badly.

Ah, I was referring to 'right now', meaning even to his hardened supporters they, surely must admit it to themselves - should have made myself clearer.

Most of us have known since the mid 80s what an oily, shallow, 'checkered jacket and red tie' type he is and has always been. Oh, and his lies are legendary.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #1768
Ah, I was referring to 'right now', meaning even to his hardened supporters they, surely must admit it to themselves - should have made myself clearer.

Most of us have known since the mid 80s what an oily, shallow, 'checkered jacket and red tie' type he is and has always been. Oh, and his lies are legendary.

His hardened supporters know no better, hermetically sealed as they are behind Fox News, Baptist and Evangelical preachers, and a government completely at the mercy of corporate capitalists. 

Reply #1769
And a massively right wing judiciary, and an increasingly militarized and violent police force, and.............