Love it

Re: Tayla Harris immortalised

Reply #2
Brilliant.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #3
Mark LoGiudice summed it up very well:

This is a proud moment for Tayla and our entire football club, recognising her as a person, as an athlete and what the power of women’s football represents. We are delighted to have a player and a person of Tayla’s character representing the Carlton Football Club and acknowledged in such a powerful way.

To me it also symbolises the strong stand she took against the farkwits who tried to demean her athleticism and ability with gross sexual comments.  She even forced the lily-livered AFL to back her stance after they initially ran a mile.

Even today, empty heads were calling the ABC to complain that she doesn’t deserve a statue - grow a brain and get a life ????
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #4
Mark LoGiudice summed it up very well:

To me it also symbolises the strong stand she took against the farkwits who tried to demean her athleticism and ability with gross sexual comments.  She even forced the lily-livered AFL to back her stance after they initially ran a mile.

Even today, empty heads were calling the ABC to complain that she doesn’t deserve a statue - grow a brain and get a life ????

I'm not completely over the top of this but from a distance I suspect the 'bold' is more the reason for the statue rather than Tayla's ability, which although quite outstanding across a few sports, is by no means greater than many other female athletes.

The statue represents a great technique but it's more a 'symbol' standing against some of the archaic ideas of a neanderthal minority.

The concern of course is 'once a caveman always a caveman' so (sadly) hopefully the CCTV around the monument is up to the task.

Reply #5
I'm not completely over the top of this but from a distance I suspect the 'bold' is more the reason for the statue rather than Tayla's ability, which although quite outstanding across a few sports, is by no means greater than many other female athletes.

The statue represents a great technique but it's more a 'symbol' standing against some of the archaic ideas of a neanderthal minority.

The concern of course is 'once a caveman always a caveman' so (sadly) hopefully the CCTV around the monument is up to the task.

It is a black glove (or 2) covering a black fist (or 2) hoisted high in the air.
Sure those athletes are deserving of recognition of the moment and their career, but it is dwarfed by the greater meaning of the incident.

Reply #6
Yes, Tayla's reaction to the little pricks was surely deserving of a statue in the long term.

Although I would suggest it's a bit soon, maybe after her career would have been more suitable, doing it now just makes her a bigger target for some coward!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #7
Yes, Tayla's reaction to the little pricks was surely deserving of a statue in the long term.

Although I would suggest it's a bit soon, maybe after her career would have been more suitable, doing it now just makes her a bigger target for some coward!
Disagree - with this type of stuff, you need to call it out quick smart and turn it back on the perps of such things - they're the ones that'll look foolish now more than ever.

Reply #8
Ive seen a lot of backlash regarding this image.

The usual what has she done, played 22 games of a sport blah blah blah.

Someone like Nova Perris is more worthy rah rah rah.

I wrote this response to a facebook post about it:

For those who think this isnt worthy of a statue, think again. This image is a symbol that transcends sport. It represents the method of standing up to online bullying and doing so with grace. It is a beacon of hope to budding young female athletes. This is not about displaying football. Or women in football. It's about celebrating a female who stood up for herself in an appropriate way, challenging ideals, inspiring people to be better and setting better standards for our society. Yes, any other female athlete would have been worthy of a statue but few would resonate with the internet generation like this one when you consider the controversy that followed this photo of this kick.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #9
I'm a little bit hmmm about the location more than the actual statue (which I think is fantastic). 

I'd have thought that located either around Princes Park, or with other statues of sporting greats in the MCG precinct would have been more appropriate.  Although maybe the decision to locate it here was a deliberate one to sort of take it a step away from the pure sporting angle & move it into a social comment area.  Still don't know if that works for me.

Maybe this is not intended to be the final location.
Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #10
Disagree - with this type of stuff, you need to call it out quick smart and turn it back on the perps of such things - they're the ones that'll look foolish now more than ever.

While I agree I think her strong reaction and the overt public support was enough short term.

The statue might just give her haters some extra fuel, or even push the more radical haters towards more extreme measures. I think in this regard we can't just think about redressing the issue with the offenders, we have to think about how it can potentially affect Tayla. Just because she is iconic relating to this issue, doesn't mean she is impervious or superhuman! It's not at all a given that the haters will all shrink in the public spotlight, some of them may well be genuine misogynists or homophobes!

From another angle, one might even say the artist has been a little bit opportunistic, given I believe it wasn't even initially commissioned. Thankfully it's not a yellow peril but I'd hate it to end up the same way without public support for a home, it could well do so though and that would leave Tayla in line for further derision!

I don't know where it should be housed long term. Our city put that stupid Girl and Bull rubbish up under sponsorship in a prime location, something which is a utter fantasy constructed for commercial purposes! At least Tayla and her history is real, not imaginary!

PS: Much of the debate deriding the statue is based on Tayla's lack of sporting achievements, and that is fair enough she isn't a sporting great by a long margin. FWIW, not even Erin Philips deserves a statue at this stage. But Tayla's statue isn't about sport!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #11

For those who think this isnt worthy of a statue, think again. This image is a symbol that transcends sport. It represents the method of standing up to online bullying and doing so with grace. It is a beacon of hope to budding young female athletes. This is not about displaying football. Or women in football. It's about celebrating a female who stood up for herself in an appropriate way, challenging ideals, inspiring people to be better and setting better standards for our society. Yes, any other female athlete would have been worthy of a statue but few would resonate with the internet generation like this one when you consider the controversy that followed this photo of this kick.

eggsackery Thry.  It doesn't need to even stand anywhere near a sporting ground imo.  more power to her and the females we share this planet with.

Reply #12
I'm a little bit hmmm about the location more than the actual statue (which I think is fantastic). 

I'd have thought that located either around Princes Park, or with other statues of sporting greats in the MCG precinct would have been more appropriate.  Although maybe the decision to locate it here was a deliberate one to sort of take it a step away from the pure sporting angle & move it into a social comment area.  Still don't know if that works for me.

Maybe this is not intended to be the final location.

Its not.

It will be at Fed square for a month, initially, then its final destination is unknown at this stage.

Fed square is a good initial starting point as it will probably be seen by more people than any other location would've been.

As for statues around the MCG, those statues are there because of the efforts those people put in, specifically, at the MCG in terms of sporting prowess. Despite Taylas ability, i'm not sure she's even played on the MCG. Regardless, i'm not sure her name is even on the statue as its got very little to do with her ability, rather the story/movement that image represents.

Reply #13

Absolutely!
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #14
Tayla represented by the statue speaks of a woman who speaks out.
Tayla's actions propelled by public support is a contemporary example of leadership. Leadership that enables social change.
Football in this instance is merely the occasion from which this emerged.

Well done Tayla.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.