Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 6: Carlton vs. Hawthorn (Read 47229 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 6: Carlton vs. Hawthorn

Reply #150
Our kick-ins need work as we’re far too predictable relative to opposition sides

Our spread from the contest needs work and in the 3rd quarter the Hawks rum further, faster

The two most defining issues today were Plowman’s poor disposal (including passing to players under enormous pressure) and Kreuzers absence from the ruck in the second half.

Ed Curnow, Plowman and Dow need to tidy up their disposal.

Manning up might have been a good start.  ::) ::)
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #151
Its not a dumb comment, and a little civility goes a long way, especially after a loss.

Tagging is a tradeoff.  Playing Curnow in the middle in a tagging role is robbing another younger more creative player of very valuable time in contests, and probably giving up 15-20 possessions over a game in exchange for cutting 10-15 from an opponent.  Cripps got sat on today by Howe and still managed 28 touches.  Curnow got 24 touches and kicked a goal at half forward.  Its a trade off and we lost by 5 points.

Cripps was ineffectual today. FACT.

Why?  ::) ::) ::)
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #152
Clarkson's post game media gig was interesting. You can sure tell he's good buddies with BB, stuck up for his little buddy and pumped up our tyres.

He emphasised that their 3rd qtr was player driven and not a result of anything he did or said. In particular he said a number of senior players lifted significantly.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #153
Dow needs a run in the 2s....he does sfa generally.

Dow was excellent in the first half and kicked our only goal in the 3rd. One of his better games this year and he wasn’t on his own going missing for 30mins

2nd year player, give him a break.

Reply #154
It's a funny old thread this.

I think we all have our own perceptions on what happened out there today and are pretty much sticking by them.
Maybe a day or two's reflection will change that,

What I saw

We were as good in the first half as we were last week.
After half time the Hawks raised their level of intensity and pressure and basically out-muscled us.
We suffered some significant injuries that really hurt our structure especially in defence…. which looked as unsure as it has at any time this season.
'Capitulation' has been used a couple of times....I didn't see that,
We surrendered a lead...but I don't think we ever capitulated.
In fact having weathered the onslaught and surrendered the lead we fought back to even up the contest and in fact it was the Hawks who were looking a bit fragile at the finish....I don't like to use the "what might have been" but the reality is that had the siren gone a couple of seconds later Harry could have been lining up to win the game.

This thread would be completely different.

X3

Reply #155
Dow was excellent in the first half and kicked our only goal in the 3rd. One of his better games this year and he wasn’t on his own going missing for 30mins

He panics every time the ball comes near him....he needs to pick up the speed in the 2s.

Not saying he's a dud - far from it - just (like LoB) he's a fair way off it.

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #156

He was ok, just, in H1.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #157
Paul is pissing in the wind.

Reminds me of Mav defending Pagan....  :-[ :-[

Dude, all our coaches since 2000, whether they are rookies or premiership winners, have entered the the Carlton Coach Killer Vortex™ and come out looking sh1t. Pagan 2 flags, MM 3 flags..........As I've said elsewhere, it takes real skill, effort and dedication to do that time and time again.

Mav was right.

Reply #159
Cripps gets a heavy tag nearly every game he plays.

Thats true but I'd argue we need to do similar to the opposing teams best player/s but dont and its cost us games...why do premiership winning coaches employ the
tactic and we dont? I know there is trade off between development vs wins but in a 4th year of a rebuild I'd be leaning towards winning the game.
It drives me nuts each week how we just hand out BOG's to players who never had an opponent...

Reply #160
His + Plow's f... ups  plus LOB's total lack of awareness....
Marchy also turned one over badly that resulted in a goal IIRC. There were some howlers today, no doubt about it.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #161
What I would like to see from our coach is some clever changes during a game to negate certain opposition players, and a game style that suits what skills our players have. We looked to move the ball backwards or sideways too often today, when targets had potential one on one contests further up the ground. Especially when the heat was on in the second half. Almost as though our players had no faith in their own abilities to kick to advantage. Something BB needs to work on. I’m not a sack the coach critic, but he needs to make some further development in how he improves our game. It wasn’t the “Threepeat” Hawks side we played today. Keep working BB. Keep thinking and listen to what others around you say. Your not bad at all. Just not quite there yet.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #162
Cripps gets a heavy tag nearly every game he plays.

Come in spinner. Thank you.

QED.

And Bolton never tags anyone....hmmm.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #163
I think Shiel is a limited FA end of year.  He might not be the silkiest player going around but he killed us today.  Would have been handy in dark blue today.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #164
I think Shiel is a limited FA end of year.  He might not be the silkiest player going around but he killed us today.  Would have been handy in dark blue today.

Rubbish. He was MIA in H1.

In H2, when our boys were having an extended nanna nap, he did what he wanted just like his 21 teammates....
Finals, then 4 in a row!