Skip to main content
Topic: The Third Test in the Ashes Series - WACA (14 December) (Read 31892 times) previous topic - next topic

The Third Test in the Ashes Series - WACA (14 December)

Mitch Marsh has been named in the squad replacing Sayers.

Looks like Hanscombe will be out and the Marsh brothers will play....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Re: The Third Test in the Ashes Series - WACA (14 December)

Reply #1
Surely not

Reply #2
Mitch Marsh has been named in the squad replacing Sayers.

Looks like Hanscombe will be out and the Marsh brothers will play....

Do the Marsh brothers have incriminating photographs?
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #3
Do the Marsh brothers have incriminating photographs?

Glen Maxwell obviously is so out of form he cant be considered I presume??? he cant be that unpopular with Smith and crew can he?
Mitch Marsh in for Handscomb cant be based on a batting technique improvement, they must want the extra bowler......

Reply #4
Glen Maxwell obviously is so out of form he cant be considered I presume??? he cant be that unpopular with Smith and crew can he?
Mitch Marsh in for Handscomb cant be based on a batting technique improvement, they must want the extra bowler......

Smith refuses to bowl Maxwell so he doesn't provide a relief bowler.

The selectors must have a grand plan that's too sophisticated for mere mortals to comprehend  :-\
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #5
Smith refuses to bowl Maxwell so he doesn't provide a relief bowler.

The selectors must have a grand plan that's too sophisticated for mere mortals to comprehend  :-\

Smith pretty much refuses to bowl himself, and his bowling was probably rated higher than Maxwell and Lyon as a teenager.

Personally, I don't see Maxwell as a Test bowler, he's useful in One Day or 20/20, maybe a spot for him on the continent, but he barely bowls more than 2 or 3 over spells in local Shield cricket let alone a test.

You'd have Maxwell in the team for two reasons, he is a batting X-Factor which can take the game away from the opposition in a session, a bit like Doug Walters used to be. He's also possibly the best fieldsman in the country and it likely to make that catch or create a run-out that others won't.

But there is this aspect, the argument for Mitch Marsh as a bowler is even weaker than the bowling argument for Maxwell! ;)  Marsh had 153 overs to get some action happening when the Vics made 450 runs, and he barely raised a whimper.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #6
I think the selectors have done a pretty good job so far this series....

Marsh and Paine have been very good.
Paine in particular surprised me with his glove work, and his batting gave our first innings a lot of impetus.

Selecting cricket sides is not about looking at stats, if it was you wouldn't have selectors.
I am not a M Marsh fan at all but they obviously have their reasons.
I would suggest his 130km + bowling is a big part of it.

Reply #7
I think the selectors have done a pretty good job so far this series....

Marsh and Paine have been very good.
Paine in particular surprised me with his glove work, and his batting gave our first innings a lot of impetus.

Selecting cricket sides is not about looking at stats, if it was you wouldn't have selectors.
I am not a M Marsh fan at all but they obviously have their reasons.
I would suggest his 130km + bowling is a big part of it.

Jeepers, all is required is for a batsman to be able to do what Andrew Symonds used to do with the ball & they'd be a shoe in.

Mitch Marsh.....that's just an injury insurance policy, nothing more, and replace one walking wicket (Handscombe) with another.

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #8
Jeepers, all is required is for a batsman to be able to do what Andrew Symonds used to do with the ball & they'd be a shoe in.

Mitch Marsh.....that's just an injury insurance policy, nothing more, and replace one walking wicket (Handscombe) with another.

That's the point, M Marsh is quite an effective bowler. Not so great with the bat
I think they are looking to take full advantage of the quick bowlers we have by bowling them in shorter spells.

Reply #9
Like his brother, who has actually performed, a surprise to many of us, Mitch Marsh has been batting well so has earned his recall. This he'll play too with Handscomb out of form. On the other hand Maxwell has been batting in outstanding fashion and would be very unlucky. If the next Test was in Sydney I'd reckon Maxwell would've been picked, being more conducive to spin, but being in Perth they went with Marsh.

Always scares me with Marsh's in the team but if you're producing the form then I suppose you'd earned your chance.

Reply #10
I think they are looking to take full advantage of the quick bowlers we have by bowling them in shorter spells.

Why would we need shorter spells if they had enough in the tank for a follow-on in Adelaide, isn't that suggestion therefore a contradiction?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #11
That's the point, M Marsh is quite an effective bowler. Not so great with the bat

he has been averaging 71 with the bat his season....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #12
Why would we need shorter spells if they had enough in the tank for a follow-on in Adelaide, isn't that suggestion therefore a contradiction?

Cummins is injury prone and Starc has had his moments, you need five bowlers IMO and maybe I am old fashioned but I like an allrounder in the team.
M.Marsh would give us a bit if a tail as he unproven at test level but given Cummins is playing well with the bat and the English bowling is mediocre so
we may get away with it.

Problem with Marsh is that he isnt good enough with either bat or ball to hold his place and is more of a bits and pieces cricketer...the classic allrounders were usually good enough in at least one skillset to hold their place....ie Flintoff was no great bat but was a good enough bowler to be picked on his bowling alone.
This is why M.Marsh wont work IMO and would be a short term fix.....we have been desperate for years to find a quality allrounder but unlike other countries we cant find them...

Reply #13
Cummins is injury prone and Starc has had his moments, you need five bowlers IMO and maybe I am old fashioned but I like an allrounder in the team.
M.Marsh would give us a bit if a tail as he unproven at test level but given Cummins is playing well with the bat and the English bowling is mediocre so
we may get away with it.

Problem with Marsh is that he isnt good enough with either bat or ball to hold his place and is more of a bits and pieces cricketer...the classic allrounders were usually good enough in at least one skillset to hold their place....ie Flintoff was no great bat but was a good enough bowler to be picked on his bowling alone.
This is why M.Marsh wont work IMO and would be a short term fix.....we have been desperate for years to find a quality allrounder but unlike other countries we cant find them...

On the bright side at least he is batting well for WA. Gambled successfully on one Marsh, hopefully it follows.

Reply #14
we may get away with it.

Time will tell EB.

One could say the same about Maxwell (excluding very recent form with bat)?
Finals, then 4 in a row!