Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 22: Carlton vs St Kilda (Read 11618 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 22: Carlton vs St Kilda

Reply #60
I thought he did a good job. Steven had 22 touches and 3 goals the week prior.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #61
Setters can play most positions pretty well.  Just a good footballer. Can't wait to see him hit his straps once fully recovered, fit and strong, and more games under his belt.  Don't know where his best position will be, but I do think he'll be played wherever he is needed.

Thoughts on where he is best suited?

Reply #62
Midfield/wing (eventually)

Reply #63
Due to the lack of personnel in the backline, Setterfield was asked to play a role that was totally foreign to him.  He basically took Plowman’s place as a shutdown. As has been mentioned, 19 games in total, off a reco, he’ll be fine.

Yep, sacrificed his game for the team on Saturday. Plenty to be enthused about.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #64
I remember posting something prior to the season, after the recruiting of McGovern, and asking where did Casboult fit into things and most of the responses were along the lines of "playing in the VFL and maybe getting a call up when someone in the forward line is injured or if Kreuzer goes down". What an amazing turn around for big Levi. Slotted in perfectly down back when Jones went out with the concussion and then moved into a forward/ruck role when Charlie went down. We couldn't give him away last year but while his trade value would've rocketed, I certainly hope we hang onto him...still the best forward/ruck support option and has shown he can play down back with plenty of confidence. The same thing was said about Silvagni and how it was hard to see where he fitted in....now a perfect "anything" type player who can do a run with role, play as a defensive forward option etc.

The turnaround in the team/club in 10 weeks is nothing sort of staggering. Full credit to Teague and the players for embracing it and giving us all a little bit of confidence in really moving up next year. If the Coniglio thing turns out to be in our favour and if we can turn our first round pick into an experience player then anything is possible next year....slot in a fit and healthy Charlie and Docherty as well on top of Jones/Weitering who missed on Saturday.

Reply #65
You can also add Cuningham, Stocker and Williamson to that list. If we can get a decent run with injuries there'll be serious competition for spots in the team next year

Reply #66
I thought he did a good job. Steven had 22 touches and 3 goals the week prior.

Yep agree. Lets not forget Steven is the one player that time and time again has ripped us a new one and while he may not be 100% match fit containing him went a big way in us winning.

Setters has tidied up his disposal recently too, used to turn it over by rushing things but looks to have fixed that in the last few weeks. Think we all (me included) expected too much from this kid this year - get a injury free preseason into him and think he may very well be the one that really comes on next year.

Reply #67
Agreed Jack...even Marchbank might struggle for a spot in a full and healthy list.

Reply #68
Marchbank would be in my best 22 if everyone was fit, and wouldn't that be a nice problem to have!

Reply #69
Basically we are a four goals better side than what we were in the first half of the season. If we had played like we are playing now back then, we would have an additional six wins and would be sitting in the top eight. We beat St.Kilda without our full back, our centre half back and our centre half forward,  as well as having our Captain, best player and leader getting out of his sick bed to play. For the first time in a long time the skies are blue and that blue is dark navy.

Reply #70
In these last 11 rounds we'll have played the top 4, 3 others who were in the 8 at the time or in the 8 now, traveled twice, with one of those other 3 games against sides out of the 8 we had to play it in Sydney. Another one we lost to Melbourne because of a Simmo shank. For a side that finished last with 2 wins last year that's not exactly a pleasant draw.

6-5, as is likely, is tremendous, 7-4 would be something outstanding.

Reply #71
We might end up the best 16th pace team ever. Or best 3rd last team ever.

Reply #72
Basically we are a four goals better side than what we were in the first half of the season. If we had played like we are playing now back then, we would have an additional six wins and would be sitting in the top eight. We beat St.Kilda without our full back, our centre half back and our centre half forward,  as well as having our Captain, best player and leader getting out of his sick bed to play. For the first time in a long time the skies are blue and that blue is dark navy.

Bolton and SOS have to get credit for building and developing the list. Teague is showing that he can get the best out of the boys.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #73
Bolton and SOS have to get credit for building and developing the list. Teague is showing that he can get the best out of the boys.

exactly mad one.  I like the hard yards BB put in.  he deserves credit.  DT is simply showing he is a better game day coach.  and SoS's hard work is starting to show dividends now, whereas before there were noises that he couldn't pick a winner in a 1 ticket raffle.

Reply #74
I'm wondering if the club has or would, give any thought to making daisy an offer to stay on in a coaching role. He's well spoken, got a great footy brain, and has an excellent relationship with the players.

DT is only 38, and is senior coach, so why not a young recently retired DT to mentor players.