Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 15: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs Adelaide (Read 38089 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 15: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs Adelaide

Reply #165
Not sure TBH.

Has that one just come out in the past couple months? Could be the one.

I heard it at like 630am on the way to work one frosty morning, i was half asleep at the time.  :-[

EDIT: Just looked that up and yeah, thats the one.

Yes, thanks for that. Released May 2017.

Reply #166
Thry, the point I was making is that this is less about cattle and more about the mindset of the coaching staff. I am of course quite aware of player movements in the intervening years. Of course the cattle at your disposal must count for something, but not as much as people think in my opinion.

You don't think a midfield that includes Judd and a forward line with Betts/Garlett & Walker wouldn't be suited to a different game plan than our current one?

If we moved the ball in as quickly as we did with those guys terrorising the opposition it would be rebounded back up the other end and see us on the end of a whacking most weeks.

Cattle is only a part of the equation, that I do agree with completely, but this current team is more suited to Bolton's gameplan than Ratts I think and I was happy with Ratts gameplan.

From Round 1, I posted the following

Also from a tactical point, what should Carlton do?
They should make themselves hard to beat.

Forget the scoring for a moment, forget quick breaks and everyone running forward of the play, concentrate on getting into position and shutting down.

It is ugly and it makes us a mongrel crap team to watch, but it also teaches a hell of a lot of discipline and you don't need talent to be disciplined, you need commitment to the task.

The equivalent is my team in soccer, West Brom, they play ugly, they play without real fullbacks in the traditional sense (well at least without a RB) and they don't sprint forward on breaks, they maintain their positions and they are bloody hard in the tackle. It is ugly, it pisses me off, but clubs hate playing against it and it is effective.

If the club played 75% of the game shutting down their opponent, went back to the early Clarko days of crap football and shutting teams down with anti-social football, I think it would go a long way towards setting this group up.

I stick to it still. I continue to think this club is on the right track, even though at times they are really frustrating to watch
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #167
All players come with their own set of limitations - some players can do more than others, some can do things others can't etc. I get that. But IMO, players are more versatile than they are sometimes given credit for.

I guess we will all be the wiser pretty soon as to whether what we are seeing is the real deal or just another mirage that we hope is there, but in fact isn't.

Reply #168
I've been a member of this forum for a while now and we have been absolute poo for the bulk of that time.
I cant believe I am reading stuff on here about hoping BB knows how to play an attacking game style and all the negativety.....

Some people are so bloody hard to please .
Im loving that our team is playing like a TEAM. I'm wrapped that we've gone from hoping and wishing for a consistent effort to knowing my team will give a consistant effort every week. I'm also ecstatic that I get to see our babies, grow before my own eyes because I know that they're being taught and understanding how to play the game the right way.

Fair dinkum unbelievable some of you.

I'm all for free speech and differing opinions btw, but considering the changeover of our playing list, changeover of coaching staff,  how much better do you really expect us to be ??

I'm wrapped with our progress  and back BB 1000%.

Just sayin......
Too little and Way too late. Pull your fingers out boys!!

Reply #169
I don't think I'm that hard to please. Say what you like about resets, rebuilds, refurbs etc. It is, like any sport, ultimately defined by wins and losses. We are currently sitting 16th. Al I want to see is that we can kick winning scores on a regular, or even semi regular basis. And by winning score, I  mean around 100 points.

We can defend till doomsday. We won't win much at all kicking around 70 points a game. 

Now Bolts may well have all the answers. He may well lead us to the promised land. We may even build a dynasty with him in charge.

I'll be waiting, and I'll be watching.

Reply #170
I've been a member of this forum for a while now and we have been absolute poo for the bulk of that time.
I cant believe I am reading stuff on here about hoping BB knows how to play an attacking game style and all the negativety.....

Im loving that our team is playing like a TEAM. I'm wrapped that we've gone from hoping and wishing for a consistent effort to knowing my team will give a consistant effort every week. I'm also ecstatic that I get to see our babies, grow before my own eyes because I know that they're being taught and understanding how to play the game the right way.

I'm all for free speech and differing opinions btw, but considering the changeover of our playing list, changeover of coaching staff,  how much better do you really expect us to be ??

Just sayin......

Like.
I agree entirely with bigblue's sentiments related to change and progress. Well said.

To add my bit: I'm not ticked off by opinions that differ though. I love the diversity because it provides opportunity to look at the same people/processes from different slants. Indeed my view is there are many roads to Rome. This forum brings people together from possibly every single route :).

Go new Blues
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #172
Like.
I agree entirely with bigblue's sentiments related to change and progress. Well said.

To add my bit: I'm not ticked off by opinions that differ though. I love the diversity because it provides opportunity to look at the same people/processes from different slants. Indeed my view is there are many roads to Rome. This forum brings people together from possibly every single route :).

Go new Blues

Nicely said, LN.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #173
I don't think I'm that hard to please. Say what you like about resets, rebuilds, refurbs etc. It is, like any sport, ultimately defined by wins and losses. We are currently sitting 16th. Al I want to see is that we can kick winning scores on a regular, or even semi regular basis. And by winning score, I  mean around 100 points.

We can defend till doomsday. We won't win much at all kicking around 70 points a game. 

Now Bolts may well have all the answers. He may well lead us to the promised land. We may even build a dynasty with him in charge.

I'll be waiting, and I'll be watching.

We've pretty much endured the 3 variations in the rebuild false dawns eras

Rattan was as good as it got for offensive / negative accountability systems
Malthouse, went the immediate other way and lost/confused players - physically and mentally (some say he coached for his own contract)

Bolton is no false dawn. He is the real deal. He is better than the aforementioned, in every way.
You can only do with what cattle you have and he has passed and gained my confidence. What remains to be seen, is how he will grow and develop when the cattle list gets better , and it will.
Players will want to come, players will want to stay. He's a "hearts and minds" merchant, with the right amount of pragmatism. You see him in the box, he like a fired up little kid with his hand permanently affixed to his mouth. He has passion.
SOS, knows footy talent, his son is there. they both have passion - its personal for them.
The board now seem to be supporting whats in place.
On the field, this group doesn't give up. (despite some not cutting it) and that's all i want to see. I don't give 2 fks about ladders this year, and maybe next. Its sustained long term, hawks style success from 2019  im interested in.
Fk , will it be sweet when it comes

Reply #174

Just sayin......
Amen brother
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #176
Which brings us to another point

Bolton is nearing the end of his "three year not a contract but permanent employment"  contract.

Do we need to revise this arrangement given we have confidence we have the right man in place?
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #177

Bolton is nearing the end of his "three year not a contract but permanent employment"  contract.

Do we need to revise this arrangement given we have confidence we have the right man in place?
Yeah, hand him the keys to Ikon Park and tell him he has 2 jobs:
1. Bring us no 17;
2. Keep all the fwits out of the joint.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #178
We've pretty much endured the 3 variations in the rebuild false dawns eras

Rattan was as good as it got for offensive / negative accountability systems
Malthouse, went the immediate other way and lost/confused players - physically and mentally (some say he coached for his own contract)

Bolton is no false dawn. He is the real deal. He is better than the aforementioned, in every way.
You can only do with what cattle you have and he has passed and gained my confidence. What remains to be seen, is how he will grow and develop when the cattle list gets better , and it will.
Players will want to come, players will want to stay. He's a "hearts and minds" merchant, with the right amount of pragmatism. You see him in the box, he like a fired up little kid with his hand permanently affixed to his mouth. He has passion.
SOS, knows footy talent, his son is there. they both have passion - its personal for them.
The board now seem to be supporting whats in place.
On the field, this group doesn't give up. (despite some not cutting it) and that's all i want to see. I don't give 2 fks about ladders this year, and maybe next. Its sustained long term, hawks style success from 2019  im interested in.
Fk , will it be sweet when it comes

I want the club to be successful, so I look forward to your prophecies and beliefs about Bolton being correct, but I don't buy into the "offense only" myth making that surrounds Ratts' tenure.

Reply #179

Bombers had confidence in Hird.
Collingwood had confidence in Buckley.

Sure things are tracking nicely, but lets not get ahead of ourselves just yet.

I don't think Bolton is the type of guy to do a 'Ross Lyon' on us.