Skip to main content
Topic: Murphy to lead again in 2017 (Read 23281 times) previous topic - next topic

Murphy to lead again in 2017

Andy McKay has all but confirmed that Marc Murphy will be the skipper again in 2017.

"There will still be a process and there will be every year," football boss Andrew McKay told Fairfax Media.

"But in staying that, the only way he [Marc Murphy] wouldn't be [captain] is if the players didn't vote for him and that wouldn't happen."

McKay has praised Murphy's growth as a leader since he was struck down with syndesmosis in his ankle midway through 2016.

While he was sorely missed on the field by his teammates, McKay says his performance as a leader off the field was first-class.

"One of the benefits of him not playing much last year is it gave Murph the ability to lead off the field and he stepped up to the plate, which was fantastic."

"He really got stuck into the leadership aspect last year which was great.

"Absolutely he has [become a better captain]. It's given him enormous opportunity to lead."

I'm quite comfortable with the process of appointing the skipper and leadership group each season - no resting on laurels.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Re: Murphy to lead again in 2017

Reply #1
I'm looking forward to the return of Murph and I happy for him to be cap'n in 2017.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #2
Bizarre that McKay feels the need to comment on how the players will vote.

Why not let the process run it's course and take care of itself?

FWIW I would much rather see Cripps made captain.
He is seriously tough and respected throughout the competition for his competitive nature.

Reply #3

He is seriously tough and respected throughout the competition for his competitive nature.

How are his people skills coming along?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #4

Coaching staff vote as well and Obvoiusly they are all voting Murphy so it would take all the players to completely boycott Marc to stop him getting the gig which won't happen.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #5

I'd give Murphy this season which is still a very developmental, experimental year  for the list and then let Cripps with Weitering as VC take over next year when we are a bit more settled.....

Reply #6
Coaching staff vote as well and Obvoiusly they are all voting Murphy so it would take all the players to completely boycott Marc to stop him getting the gig which won't happen.

I'll swing another scenario by you....
The coaching staff are the ones that count the votes. Sometimes they forget how to count. ;)

We have a history of it.

Reply #7
His injury made that problematic.  He will struggle to be right for Rd 1 and a limited preseason will hamper him throughout 2017.  He'll be under enough pressure without the captaincy as a poor season for him will equal a poor season for the team.  Supporters will expect him to perform regardless of his limited preseason.  Hardly the time for a youngster to take over.

Reply #8
I'll swing another scenario by you....
The coaching staff are the ones that count the votes. Sometimes they forget how to count. ;)

We have a history of it.

About the size of it.

Not to mention that marketing takes up a lot of captains time these days.

I also think they are reluctant to "herald a new dawn" by changing captains at the moment.  This is still looking at being another "transition" year where we will battle more than we will win, and that a change of captain will likely come at a time, when we can read the landscape better (better overall outlook) for our team in order to prevent the incumbent captain from wearing undue pressure.

i.e. in about a year or two, when we have our team relatively settled, we will change the captain.  Right now we have a lot of instability, and newcomers, meaning that any change of this nature is likely to cause division in the group.  Not really helpful for us, and better to stay the course.  Besides, Murphy sets a good example to follow (usually) even if he isnt 8 feet tall and can walk through tackles.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #9
I'd give Murphy this season which is still a very developmental, experimental year  for the list and then let Cripps with Weitering as VC take over next year when we are a bit more settled.....

Even with the retirement of Walker and Simpson coming to the end of his illustrious career, I'd be very surprised if Cripps and Weitering get the top jobs so soon.  I reckon Docherty will be vice-captain or captain before Cripps or Weitering get the nod and I suspect Ed Curnow is ahead of them too.

It will be interesting to see whether Weitering makes the leadership group this season ... and whether Gibbs is returned  ???

Rowe and Kreuzer could be leadership group candidates.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #10
Even with the retirement of Walker and Simpson coming to the end of his illustrious career, I'd be very surprised if Cripps and Weitering get the top jobs so soon.  I reckon Docherty will be vice-captain or captain before Cripps or Weitering get the nod and I suspect Ed Curnow is ahead of them too.

It will be interesting to see whether Weitering makes the leadership group this season ... and whether Gibbs is returned  ???

I reckon even Army could be a smokie for the leadership group. Won some community awards...

Reply #11
I reckon even Army could be a smokie for the leadership group. Won some community awards...

Army is certainly very well respected ... and he is quite vocal on the field.  Perhaps his one year contract and fringe player status will go against him.

Reply #12
Army is certainly very well respected ... and he is quite vocal on the field.  Perhaps his one year contract and fringe player status will go against him.

Hence smokie.

Reply #13

Docherty is a leader but not captain material IMO.....Cripps is the bloke you would follow into battle and who like Sticks Kernahan has stamped his authority on the team as the onfield leader .
Ed is a good foot solider but I know if I was a young player who I want would next to me when it got tough or when I needed my leader to show the way and it would be Cripps and Weitering.
We function better with a bigger player IMO as captain especially as we are not overly physical and get intimidated in this area and lack example setters....I want a captain who will set the example and back his players up...Murphy cant do it and I dont reckon Docherty is that type either.

Reply #14
Docherty is a leader but not captain material IMO.....Cripps is the bloke you would follow into battle and who like Sticks Kernahan has stamped his authority on the team as the onfield leader .
Ed is a good foot solider but I know if I was a young player who I want would next to me when it got tough or when I needed my leader to show the way and it would be Cripps and Weitering.
We function better with a bigger player IMO as captain especially as we are not overly physical and get intimidated in this area and lack example setters....I want a captain who will set the example and back his players up...Murphy cant do it and I dont reckon Docherty is that type either.

I always put the binoculars on huddles before quarters start and during breaks of play and the blokes who do the most talking are Murphy, Gibbs, Docherty, Simpson, Curnow and Thomas.  Matty Kreuzer is more vocal than Cripps.

I'd prefer to give him time to grow into the captaincy, if he ever does.