Skip to main content
Topic: If (?) does (?), then I'll be happy: 2017 Season (Read 6326 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: If (?) does (?), then I'll be happy: 2017 Season

Reply #15
We play with full commitment for 4qtrs, every game.
We have drastically reduced our clanger count.
We have drastically reduced our skill error count
We have greatly improved the quality of our F50 entries
We have greatly improved our kicking for goal
We find some gold in our new guys

If all of that happens then I will really enjoy 2017.

I reckon that would just about see us in the top 4 cookie.  ;)... :D
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #16
My hope is that by the end of the year the likes of White ,Armfield,Rowe,Thomas have been passed by others and are only talked about as back ups.That we are in all games up to our ears from start to finish even if we loose so that other sides walk away saying we played a good young side today and not like it has been in the past where they say we are only playing carlton today.Respect on the ground is what we have to earn like the good sides have,win loose or draw they have to know they played a side that gives everything plays hard and plays fair and never concedes defeat without giving effort.If that is achieved we will win more and more as our players become bigger stronger and more experienced and we will have earns respect ,which we have lost.No one over the last few years have respected us as a football team even the worst teams believe with a bit of effort they will beat us,the scum and lions last year believed we were beatable and did.
It is all about respect and effort nothing else matters as when u have theses the wins will take care of themselves.Players will want to play for the once again mighty blues.

Reply #17
My hope is that by the end of the year the likes of White ,Armfield,Rowe,Thomas have been passed by others and are only talked about as back ups.That we are in all games up to our ears from start to finish even if we loose so that other sides walk away saying we played a good young side today and not like it has been in the past where they say we are only playing carlton today.Respect on the ground is what we have to earn like the good sides have,win loose or draw they have to know they played a side that gives everything plays hard and plays fair and never concedes defeat without giving effort.If that is achieved we will win more and more as our players become bigger stronger and more experienced and we will have earns respect ,which we have lost.No one over the last few years have respected us as a football team even the worst teams believe with a bit of effort they will beat us,the scum and lions last year believed we were beatable and did.
It is all about respect and effort nothing else matters as when u have theses the wins will take care of themselves.Players will want to play for the once again mighty blues.

Agree with all of that. If Thomas / White / etc. aren't playing every week it will mean that some of our younger guys are doing something right.

I will say though that if we expect the team to be "in all games up to our ears" we'll probably be disappointed. Young teams (and our list is the 3rd youngest in the comp) are notoriously inconsistent. Hope not but I'm expecting the odd shocker.

Reply #18
I disagree Jeza. We have plenty of experienced heads in he ruck (Kreuzer), mids (Gibbs, Murph, Curnow, Wright), forwards (Army, Levi, Wright, Sumner) and backs (Simmo, Rowe, White, Doc).

If the leaders lead, the youth will follow.

One presumes that Murphy's form will be good to very good - that is his norm and I think a long rest will have freshened his body up hugely.

He alone improves our chances in games immeasurably.

The youth has the X factor though - of the mids, Sammy P, Jarrod Pickett and Zac Fisher are talked about a lot and even Cameron Polson of late has been mentioned.

I think guys like SPS and J. Pickett (5 and 4 in their respective drafts), in particular,  and backed by the old heads, can really turn our midfield into something special 'overnight'......

Midfields win you games and assuming plenty of first (and decent) use of the pill can really make life easy for the forward line - whomever's up there!

Pickett's injuries appear well behind him (touch wood) - what's not to like! http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/video/2014-11-27/pick-4-meet-jarrod-pickett
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #19
If we agree that we'll need to play quite a lot of those talented youngsters that we have acquired we'll have to accept a bit of up and down. Otherwise we're going to be very disappointed at times.

Really happy with the volume of young high draft picks we've accumulated though. The raw numbers look pretty impressive (second only to the Giants).
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/gws/gws-giants-mindboggling-playing-list-leaves-rivals-in-the-dust-says-list-expert/news-story/e75fc06533d0fafcd3fc6e9fa7088f42

Reply #20
If we agree that we'll need to play quite a lot of those talented youngsters that we have acquired we'll have to accept a bit of up and down. Otherwise we're going to be very disappointed at times.

Really happy with the volume of young high draft picks we've accumulated though. The raw numbers look pretty impressive (second only to the Giants).
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/gws/gws-giants-mindboggling-playing-list-leaves-rivals-in-the-dust-says-list-expert/news-story/e75fc06533d0fafcd3fc6e9fa7088f42

We've had good numbers of high draft picks for many years now - and apart from a few seasons back, don't really have much joy to show for it.

The list at the bottom of that article is interesting. The teams listed between Carlton and Hawthorn (including the former, excluding the latter) have been ordinary the last few seasons.