Skip to main content
Topic: Murphy to lead again in 2017 (Read 25047 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Murphy to lead again in 2017

Reply #15
I always put the binoculars on huddles before quarters start and during breaks of play and the blokes who do the most talking are Murphy, Gibbs, Docherty, Simpson, Curnow and Thomas.  Matty Kreuzer is more vocal than Cripps.

I'd prefer to give him time to grow into the captaincy, if he ever does.

I'd always wanted Matty K as Captain - loves to lead by example and doesn't take any carp.....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #16
To be honest, the best part of this conversation is that we seem to have some genuine emerging leadership options, which we haven't had for a while.

Personally I think Doc is next in line. I disagree that he'd be unable to back the players up, as he's got a bit of mongrel about him. Cripps is great, and will likely get the gig after Doc, but he's not ready yet. I mean he hasn't even cracked 50 games yet. I think to be an effective Captain in today's football, you want to have at least 100 games under your belt. Let him enjoy his footy and keep developing before burdening him with what will be an extreme amount of scrutiny.

Reply #17
To be honest, the best part of this conversation is that we seem to have some genuine emerging leadership options, which we haven't had for a while.

Personally I think Doc is next in line. I disagree that he'd be unable to back the players up, as he's got a bit of mongrel about him. Cripps is great, and will likely get the gig after Doc, but he's not ready yet. I mean he hasn't even cracked 50 games yet. I think to be an effective Captain in today's football, you want to have at least 100 games under your belt. Let him enjoy his footy and keep developing before burdening him with what will be an extreme amount of scrutiny.

X2
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #18

We are one of the softest teams in the comp and need a player who the other players know has got their back and can handle themselves when it gets physical..I dont want a knucklehead/thug as captain ie a Mitch Robinson type but  I dont want a nice guy either.
Ok the Cripps/Weitering being too young argument has some merit but at the same time I dont see Docherty being able to handle too many altercations either as he is smaller type player and we have seen Murphy in similar situations try his best but it doesnt work and we just get intimidated.
Maybe a Simon White in a Nick Maxwell/Tom Harley role is a compromise until Criipps is ready...

Reply #19
Maybe a Simon White in a Nick Maxwell/Tom Harley role is a compromise until Criipps is ready...

I like White...he gives his best...The problem with him as captain is he may not be a best 22 player by mid-season.

Reply #20
We are one of the softest teams in the comp and need a player who the other players know has got their back and can handle themselves when it gets physical..I dont want a knucklehead/thug as captain ie a Mitch Robinson type but  I dont want a nice guy either.
Ok the Cripps/Weitering being too young argument has some merit but at the same time I dont see Docherty being able to handle too many altercations either as he is smaller type player and we have seen Murphy in similar situations try his best but it doesnt work and we just get intimidated.

You don't need a tough captain as long as there are other players prepared to fly the flag.  Murphy is apparently the best leader at the club and his successor should be the best leader when it's time to replace him, regardless of size, physicality, aggressiveness and/or mongrel.  I certainly wouldn't want to see Cripps burdened with the roles of contested ball king, captaincy and enforcer.

I reckon the 'soft' tag will be gone as Bolton moulds the team into what he wants.  I'm looking forward to seeing our bigger blokes playing a little unsociable footy.

As others have pointed out, White may not be best 22 if we develop as I think we will, and I don't think White has ever come close to serious leadership group consideration.  I certainly can't see him pressing for All-Australian selection as Harley and Maxwell did (not that I think AA selection is a reliable measure). 
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #21
You don't need a tough captain as long as there are other players prepared to fly the flag. 

They don't need to be "tough" but they need to be able to stand up to the physical stuff, Murphy goes down quicker than Monica Lewinski.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #22
The more I think about it the more I'm favouring Docherty to take over once Murphy steps aside.
Just let Cripps and Weitering concentrate on being the "best of the best"

Reply #23
Just let Cripps and Weitering concentrate on being the "best of the best"

Agreed! Hodge didn't get the gig till his 10th season.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #24
Agreed! Hodge didn't get the gig till his 10th season.

Didnt get the official job but was the unofficial leader earlier....so much so they had to take the job off Mitchell....no doubt been the best leader in the modern era and close to Voss who I rated the best leader I have seen......Hodge and Voss is about as tough as it gets and thats the required toughness we need as a leader.

Reply #25
Didnt get the official job but was the unofficial leader earlier....so much so they had to take the job off Mitchell....no doubt been the best leader in the modern era and close to Voss who I rated the best leader I have seen......Hodge and Voss is about as tough as it gets and thats the required toughness we need as a leader.

Interesting to note then that Docherty and Hodge are the same size  ;)

Reply #26
Interesting to note then that Docherty and Hodge are the same size  ;)

Size has SFA to do with it.
Look at all the inspirational captains over they years.
They have hall been tough, not dirty, but tough as nails.
Head over the footy, unwavering attack on the ball.

That's what we need.

Reply #27
You don't need a tough captain as long as there are other players prepared to fly the flag. Murphy is apparently the best leader at the club and his successor should be the best leader when it's time to replace him, regardless of size, physicality, aggressiveness and/or mongrel.  I certainly wouldn't want to see Cripps burdened with the roles of contested ball king, captaincy and enforcer.

I reckon the 'soft' tag will be gone as Bolton moulds the team into what he wants.  I'm looking forward to seeing our bigger blokes playing a little unsociable footy.

As others have pointed out, White may not be best 22 if we develop as I think we will, and I don't think White has ever come close to serious leadership group consideration.  I certainly can't see him pressing for All-Australian selection as Harley and Maxwell did (not that I think AA selection is a reliable measure).

Is that so? According to what text book does that apply?

Once again, according to who? The people that appointed him?

Reply #28
Seems the players are behind Murphy, I think he did OK last year, played very well under injury before his season ended, was clearly the leader while he was out there.

You can see from the result how much he was missed, doesn't get the respect he deserves from supporters. For our club to get better supporters have to get better at recognising quality.

What I would say is that with the arrival of Cripps, Plowman, Weitering, Marchbank, Phillips, the development of Rowe, Casboult and Docherty and SpecialK getting more game time. We are seeing more players prepare to fly the flag to protect their team-mates, EB1s example of White is a good one in this regard, but I don't think he needs to be captain.

Probably the biggest influence is SpecialK being on the field, our whole midfield stands taller when he's in the front line. But does that mean he's a captain, not really, and I don't think he needs to be to make his mark.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #29
Is that so? According to what text book does that apply?

Once again, according to who? The people that appointed him?

No text books required but plenty of examples; Skilton, Flower, Bartlett, Kelly, Bradley, Greg ...

According to the players and coaches who appointed him ... but what would they know?   ::)