Skip to main content
Topic: Murphy to lead again in 2017 (Read 25062 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Murphy to lead again in 2017

Reply #30
Size has SFA to do with it.
Look at all the inspirational captains over they years.
They have hall been tough, not dirty, but tough as nails.
Head over the footy, unwavering attack on the ball.

That's what we need.

My comments about Docherty's size was in relation to Elwood's comments about him being a smaller type ala Murphy, but in his  next post was lauding Hodge as a great Captain (which he is). I was merely pointing out that they are exactly the same height, therefore saying Docherty can't be a good Captain because of his height when he is the same as arguably the best Captain in the game is somewhat contradictory.

You're right though, the best Captain's are the tough ones, but I don't see Docherty being in any ways soft. He's got some chutzpah.

Reply #31
Its tough to recognise who the best leader is from the outside of the bubble.

People are in fan mode selecting leadership when in reality its much more complex than that.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #32
My comments about Docherty's size was in relation to Elwood's comments about him being a smaller type ala Murphy, but in his  next post was lauding Hodge as a great Captain (which he is). I was merely pointing out that they are exactly the same height, therefore saying Docherty can't be a good Captain because of his height when he is the same as arguably the best Captain in the game is somewhat contradictory.

You're right though, the best Captain's are the tough ones, but I don't see Docherty being in any ways soft. He's got some chutzpah.

Docherty may be the same height but he isnt street tough enough like Hodge or able to give the cover that skillful smaller players need.....Voss was 183cm and even smaller but was like a Pit Bull out on the ground.
Hard not to be inspired when you see how Voss played the game....I like Docherty as a leader but his skillset as a leader is different to the Hodge/Voss skillset and we need some of the latter IMO....

Reply #33
Docherty may be the same height but he isnt street tough enough like Hodge or able to give the cover that skillful smaller players need.....Voss was 183cm and even smaller but was like a Pit Bull out on the ground.
Hard not to be inspired when you see how Voss played the game....I like Docherty as a leader but his skillset as a leader is different to the Hodge/Voss skillset and we need some of the latter IMO....

The thing is though, the player type you seek isn't one we currently have. Cripps might be more physically intimidating, but he's not that antagonising hard nut that you're describing.

Great Captains come in all different packages. One could argue that one of the most universally respected Captains in the comp is Bob Murphy, and he couldn't be more opposite to the Luke Hodge model of Captaincy. Bob has done an exceptional job at uniting a young and emerging team though.

Personally I see Docherty as an upgrade to Marc Murphy, and a good transitional leader while younger/different players emerge (as Mitchell was to the Hawks).

I'd rather not pigeonhole what a good Captain needs to look like, I would rather we invest in finding the person who best fits our Club and our players moving forward. 

Reply #34

I'm not saying he's soft but does he have that real hard edge and unwavering head over the ball toughness?

Reply #35
The thing is though, the player type you seek isn't one we currently have. Cripps might be more physically intimidating, but he's not that antagonising hard nut that you're describing.

Great Captains come in all different packages. One could argue that one of the most universally respected Captains in the comp is Bob Murphy, and he couldn't be more opposite to the Luke Hodge model of Captaincy. Bob has done an exceptional job at uniting a young and emerging team though.

Personally I see Docherty as an upgrade to Marc Murphy, and a good transitional leader while younger/different players emerge (as Mitchell was to the Hawks).

I'd rather not pigeonhole what a good Captain needs to look like, I would rather we invest in finding the person who best fits our Club and our players moving forward.

re: Bob Murphy.....I thought him going down was the making of the "Bont"..he stepped up and led the team IMO, he imposed himself on the game and did the inspiring things required.....

Trent Cotchin is a great player, respected by his team but not a great captain IMO.....not strong or inspiring enough when it matters and Richmond need a better leader to be a better team...
Interesting how the Swans went for Josh Kennedy over Hannebery, Parker etc....all hard at it players but Kennedy showed in a losing GF team how good he was when the chips were down and how inspiring he could be...thats why he got the job IMO.

Reply #36
No text books required but plenty of examples; Skilton, Flower, Bartlett, Kelly, Bradley, Greg ...

According to the players and coaches who appointed him ... but what would they know?   ::)

Skilton - Did he ever play in a final? Great player but doesn't mean he was a great captain
Flower -  Was he a successful captain? Did they play finals under Flower?
Bartlett - Captained Richmond for 1 year only, obviously wasn't the man for the job
Kelly - Do you mean Paul Kelly - Probably as tough as anyone that has ever played the game
Bradley - Great player but a great captain?
Greg -

Reply #37
Had a look at the gallery photos for the team shoot this week. Interesting that either side of Murph (with Bolton in between) is Simmo and Doc, then Gibbs and Crippa next to those guys. Reckon Gibbs has been replaced by Doc as VC?

Reply #38
Had a look at the gallery photos for the team shoot this week. Interesting that either side of Murph (with Bolton in between) is Simmo and Doc, then Gibbs and Crippa next to those guys. Reckon Gibbs has been replaced by Doc as VC?

You could be right NM; the team photo is always a giveaway!  Has Daisy Thomas been added to the leadership group in place of Walks?

The other Murphy has the job again at the Kennel.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #39

Wasn't Simpson vice captain last year?
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #40
Wasn't Simpson vice captain last year?

That's right MBB.  I was thinking that we had two VCs but it was just Simpson.

It looks like just one change; Thomas in for Walks.  If that's the case, Thomas mustn't be cooked ...
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #41
That's right MBB.  I was thinking that we had two VCs but it was just Simpson.

It looks like just one change; Thomas in for Walks.  If that's the case, Thomas mustn't be cooked ...

Unless he has a significant physical turnaround leadership is all Daisy has to offer, but he is the right person for the job!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #43

I'm pretty sure we had 2 VC's.
No, 100% sure it was just Simmo as VC. I recall vividly the video on CFC media where they announced Murph as Capt and Simmo as VC. Simmo gave a speech about how thrilled he was to lead the club with Murph. Its also in The Journey.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #44
No, 100% sure it was just Simmo as VC. I recall vividly the video on CFC media where they announced Murph as Capt and Simmo as VC. Simmo gave a speech about how thrilled he was to lead the club with Murph. Its also in The Journey.

∆∆∆
That's my recollection as well FWIW  ::)
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.