Skip to main content
Topic: Murphy to lead again in 2017 (Read 25670 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Murphy to lead again in 2017

Reply #45
Gibbs and Jamison were vice-captains in 2015.  Simmo did replace Gibbs, but in 2016.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #46
Ahh ok cool, I thought I'd seen him referred to as the VC in some of the trade articles last year...was probably the Herald Sun though  :-\ 

Would still be cool though to see Doc as VC with Simmo this year.

Reply #47
I reckon even Army could be a smokie for the leadership group. Won some community awards...
Boom!
http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2017-02-08/blues-finalise-2017-leadership-group
Carlton Football Club has finalised its on-field leadership structure for 2017, with captain Marc Murphy to again steer a seven-man leadership group.

Veteran defender Kade Simpson has been named vice-captain for the third year overall, while 30-year-old Dennis Armfield comes into the group for the first time since his debut in 2008 for Carlton.

Patrick Cripps, Sam Docherty, Bryce Gibbs and Ed Curnow round out the Blues’ leadership group, who were elected by their peers on Tuesday.

Reply #48
^
Nailed that one Kruddler  :)

Nice to see Dennis rewarded for his persistence and efforts.  His role with the AFLW team suggests that he possesses both leadership ability and footy nous.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #49
I like Armfield in the leadership group. Says to the younger blokes, 'look this is how you go about your business both at the Club and away from the Club'. Very important with so many young impressionable kids on the list IMO. Simon White seems someone similar, well from the outside looking in anyway. Having a chunk of those leadership members finishing top 5 in the B&F is important. Now for the younger chaps to come along and not only challenge the senior guys, but take the reins from them.

Reply #50
Very happy with that. On ya Army.

Reply #51
Me too and I think he wont play much footy in 2017 too which highlights the importance of off field leadership, and how form and ability have little to do with whether or not a player is leadership material.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #52
He has a part time coaching role with the Women's team, so you could be right about game time. Shame though - I liked seeing him running around.

Reply #53
Me too and I think he wont play much footy in 2017 too which highlights the importance of off field leadership, and how form and ability have little to do with whether or not a player is leadership material.

It'll also be good for the younger guys to have that added leadership in the Northern Blues. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if Armfield plays a bit in 2017. Bolton was really starting to get the best out of him last season and I definitely think there's a role in the side for him. I'd certainly rather Army in there than Dale Thomas.

Reply #54
He has a part time coaching role with the Women's team, so you could be right about game time. Shame though - I liked seeing him running around.

Women's season will be over when the men's is kicking off, so he should be fully focused on the task at hand.

Reply #55
Women's season will be over when the men's is kicking off, so he should be fully focused on the task at hand.

Right you are Miss Maven. My mental lethargy is in full effect today.

Reply #56
Fine with Murph being selected again but would have preferred a new younger VC selected.

Simmo is a loved and respected player no doubt but he will not be around for much longer - Would have loved to see dual VCs in Doc and Cripps.

But I'm trusting the club with their internal knowledge is making the correct call at this stage of those players careers.

Reply #57
Fine with Murph being selected again but would have preferred a new younger VC selected.

Simmo is a loved and respected player no doubt but he will not be around for much longer - Would have loved to see dual VCs in Doc and Cripps.

But I'm trusting the club with their internal knowledge is making the correct call at this stage of those players careers.

Shawny my take on the next Captain or rather next crop of leaders is as follows. The leadership group under Bolts last year would have driven higher standards compared to previous years, they said as much in all the interviews. The next step in that evolution IMO is driving the younger players to strive and aspire to be leaders. Murph and Co. need to send messages, cryptically or otherwise, like "you want it? come and take it off me", "time to step up to the plate", etc. They need to foster a desire to replace them.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #58
Shawny my take on the next Captain or rather next crop of leaders is as follows. The leadership group under Bolts last year would have driven higher standards compared to previous years, they said as much in all the interviews. The next step in that evolution IMO is driving the younger players to strive and aspire to be leaders. Murph and Co. need to send messages, cryptically or otherwise, like "you want it? come and take it off me", "time to step up to the plate", etc. They need to foster a desire to replace them.

I think the key to this is the "leadership density" that Bolton talks about.  We had a leadership program through Leading Teams in Ratten's time then nothing under Malthouse.  Bolton poached Anthony Klarica to run an in-house leadership program and that suggests a much greater focus on leadership development than we've ever had.  Blokes who may never have aspired to anything more than getting a game will be discovering that they can lead.

Rather than the current leadership group sending messages, potential and up and coming leaders will be encouraged to send their own demands for leadership roles.

Apart from developing our future leaders, our leadership program and greater "leadership density" will ensure that the playing and coaching groups will have a much better understanding of what makes a good leader and will be picking the most able blokes to lead the club.

Reply #59
I think the key to this is the "leadership density" that Bolton talks about.  We had a leadership program through Leading Teams in Ratten's time then nothing under Malthouse.  Bolton poached Anthony Klarica to run an in-house leadership program and that suggests a much greater focus on leadership development than we've ever had.  Blokes who may never have aspired to anything more than getting a game will be discovering that they can lead.

Rather than the current leadership group sending messages, potential and up and coming leaders will be encouraged to send their own demands for leadership roles.

Apart from developing our future leaders, our leadership program and greater "leadership density" will ensure that the playing and coaching groups will have a much better understanding of what makes a good leader and will be picking the most able blokes to lead the club.

A bit of balance to the above statement.

Leading teams was the bees knees once upon a time. About the same time Malthouse took over leading teams was getting a bad rep as it was seen as some kind of sanctioned bullying and all the millenials had to be treated with kid gloves. So they got the flick.
At the same time though, Malthouse weeded out a lot of players who took up more than their fair share of coaching time. That is, players who were all about themselves and didn't want to put in the hard yards. This is when blokes like Ellard were kept, but blokes like the outspoken McLean, were not. Obviously the trades were well publicised, but not a single one of them was without some drama either on or off the field - See Yarran as a prime example. Yes, he even brought in a broken Daisy to help in this area. Someone with a past, but someone who is now 100% focused on team football.
Bolton takes over and starts with a relatively cleansed list which Malthouse holds the bloody knife.
He no longer has to babysit players and can focus on rebuilding with players who want to be there. Army and even White are the prime examples. Had Malthouse chosen the Pagan 'talent 1st' approach, i suspect Army/White would've got the flick and Yarran would still be our problem.

Bolton has done well with what he took over. He hasn't to make any hard calls on any players yet. It's all been pretty smooth sailing in that regard.