Skip to main content
Topic: Murphy to lead again in 2017 (Read 25732 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Murphy to lead again in 2017

Reply #75
And I don't need to point out other issues, like :

ego driven public spats with players
sooky media performances
awful on field performances
forward line disappearing act under his watch etc.

Reply #76
And can I also add that Mick won us a final under false pretenses.

I hope you are at least honourable enough to make Hird a permanent fixture on your Christmas card list, since your main MM claim to fame begins and ends with him.

Reply #77
Laughable to suggest that Malthouse went along with Murphy being made Captain for marketing reasons.

Murphy has remained captain under Bolton, so he must be in on the conspiracy as well.

Reply #78
Laughable to suggest that Malthouse went along with Murphy being made Captain for marketing reasons.

Murphy has remained captain under Bolton, so he must be in on the conspiracy as well.

Either that or the marketing department rules the roost at CFC, and all persons and all things are subjugated to them.

Reply #79

Laughable that a bloke that had never played for the club could be made captain. Especially when he was a reluctant captain previously. Enter Judd

Laughable to suggest that the club wanted to sack mick, but told him they still wanted him to coach out the season like nothing happened.
Oh wait.

The club wanted Murphy. He is the future of the club, he sells all the jumpers. Poster boy etc. He was obviously close to being chosen as the captain, but Mick didn't have the final say in that. The club overruled him. Its not the first time its happened and it won't be the last.

As for Murphy still being captain....there are a large amount of people that wish that wouldn't be the case....but whats done is done and we are sticking with it.

Reply #80
And I don't need to point out other issues, like :

ego driven public spats with players
sooky media performances
awful on field performances
forward line disappearing act under his watch etc.

As i said first, nobody is right/wrong 100% of the time. I've never suggested otherwise. He had his shortcomings no doubt.

Point is still valid. He has had a large hand in shaping our list.

FWIW, all but Everitt were chosen by the list manager/recruiters. Everitt won our goal kicking one year so its not all bad. We got more out of him than anyone else did and it cost us nothing. When he was up and running he was great.

Reply #81
Going over old ground here but I'll play..Dont agree..I think its relevant to his time at Carlton, he was happy to go with his old ways and  the Navy Blue rat pack initially when he was promising premierships and Nirvana to the faithful when he arrived at the club....agree?
Mick the Re-Builder/Shaper appeared after he had to admit he mis-judged the capabilities of the list and he was looking for a get out of jail card to save his job and try and get an extension, he did start shaping the clubs list by getting rid of players.. some who deserved it and some who didnt...Bolton and SOS have had to fix the list he miss-shaped....IMO.

Mick didn't promise flags. The media portrayed it that way due to his tongue in cheek comments about which games we would lose for the year.

The whole club pumped him up as the messiah, prematurely. It was clear that after a honeymoon period, the players fell into their old roles which saw the previous coaches sacked. Hence my gripe with the players/culture.

Who didnt deserve to go?

Everyone who went IMO went to improve the culture of the club and lift the standards around the club.

Reply #82
Mick didn't promise flags. The media portrayed it that way due to his tongue in cheek comments about which games we would lose for the year.

The whole club pumped him up as the messiah, prematurely. It was clear that after a honeymoon period, the players fell into their old roles which saw the previous coaches sacked. Hence my gripe with the players/culture.

Who didnt deserve to go?

Everyone who went IMO went to improve the culture of the club and lift the standards around the club.

Neither did Ratten, he made a comment about Carlton's expectations, but that didn't save him either! ;)

Live by the sword, die by the sword! :D

I feel sorry for the coaches, the media pump them to be controversial, to make a statement, to make a prediction, then the media hang them with it! But that is because the current crop of media are nothing more than unprofessional gossip hounds or rumor mongers.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #83

Who didnt deserve to go?

Yarran and Henderson deserved to go IMO...but its obvious to most that Betts and Robbo leaving came back to bite us big time.....Waite and Garlett 50/50...Laidler too was a mistake IMO..can get a game in a finals team like the Swans but we have him playing VFL footy in the wrong position...think Mick actually suggested the Swans were the strongest list in 2014 and then he gave them Laidler.. go figure.
If your getting paid a mill a year then no matter where you stick your tongue or your foot you still have to deliver, you make comments like Mick made then you will be held accountable....

Reply #84
As i said first, nobody is right/wrong 100% of the time. I've never suggested otherwise. He had his shortcomings no doubt.

Point is still valid. He has had a large hand in shaping our list.

FWIW, all but Everitt were chosen by the list manager/recruiters. Everitt won our goal kicking one year so its not all bad. We got more out of him than anyone else did and it cost us nothing. When he was up and running he was great.

If you make a claim that MM got rid of the half-arsed players who didn't give 100% etc., why then recruit a player who exhibits exactly the same shortcomings that you're trying to eliminate ?

Reply #85
I can't believe that folk are still defending Malthouse  ::)

Perhaps we should invite PI2C back  ;)

Malthouse's appointment was one of the low points of our recent past and put our development back considerably.  The only positive about his tenure is that it forced the club to take action and sack him, then adopt a rigorous selection process for appointing his successor.  That process seems to be bearing fruit.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #86
Bolton hasn't done anything yet.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #87
MM was very good for the shaping of the list.  Had the boys playing so poorly we ended up with Weiters, Charlie & Harry.  Good job.

I'm hoping that is our golden draft that sets us up for some years of some success. Just being a threat during the finals would make me feel happy again.  Flags are great, and we all want them, but wouldn't it be nice to just have a shot at one again?

FWIW - I'm backing Marc as captain for now.  Doc/Weiters/Crippa future captain.  I'd like to think the injection of pace, youth and talent (it's still potential talent - and we can only hope it is real talent) delivers us a nice surprise this year.  Maybe a sneaky chance for a finals birth, which is obviously a little optimistic, but hey, there's always a team that comes out of nowhere and exceeds expectations, so hoping it's us this year.

Reply #88
MM was very good for the shaping of the list.  Had the boys playing so poorly we ended up with Weiters, Charlie & Harry.  Good job.

and Bolton got us SPS.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #89
Think you are selling Barker a bit short their too. He had the boys for longer than Malthouse did in our final year. He couldn't make them play either.