Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 3 2022 Post Game Permutations Carlton vs Hawthorn (Read 3316 times) previous topic - next topic

AFL Rd 3 2022 Post Game Permutations Carlton vs Hawthorn

The question will arise: which of the coaches has made the most improvement to his team?
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: AFL Rd 3 2022 Post Game Permutations Carlton vs Hawthorn

Reply #1
F*** me.

How is everyone's heart?

Gutsy effort from the boys. These are games they we would've lost in the past. Credit to the boys who just got it done in the end.

In the end we had half our backline missing, with 2 debutants down there and we struggled.

I said it in the pre-season, i said it in the pre-game and in the in-game. Boyd is NOT up to it. Do not pick him until he dominates for weeks on end in the VFL. Almost cost us the game. Couldn't stick a tackle to save himself.

Reply #2
Charlie limped off, said it was a rolled ankle and he'll be fine. Not 100% on that.
Pittonet got subbed out late.
Weitering grabbed at his groin on multiple occasions in the last, and grabbed at his foot/toe multiple times as well. He'd have to have an amputated to not play next week.
Silvagni was limping post game.

I hope we can keep our boys fit enough for next week.

Also very much looking for Saad coming back. We saw with JC how important run and carry off half back is, he single handedly got/kept them in the game and we missed that from our end.

Reply #3
Yep agree kruddler.  I've not seen someone play afl footy with so few endearing qualities as boyd.

Hes not hard, he's not tough, he didn't read it well, lacked intensity, lacked composure, leaked goals all day and isn't overly quick.  He can hit a target ok, but not necessarily using it well. 

I dont need a lot to warm up to a player.  Ive championed plenty of also rans but he's not even good enough to be that.  Williamson is a much better footballer and that is saying a lot.

Im hoping it was just nerves but I think he had an opportunity to repel about 4 or 5 goals and each and every time was guilty of not understanding his limitations and playing the percentages.  That is the absolute minimum for a half back IMHO.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #4
Yep agree kruddler.  I've not seen someone play afl footy with so few endearing qualities as boyd.

Hes not hard, he's not tough, he didn't read it well, lacked intensity, lacked composure, leaked goals all day and isn't overly quick.  He can hit a target ok, but not necessarily using it well. 

I dont need a lot to warm up to a player.  Ive championed plenty of also rans but he's not even good enough to be that.  Williamson is a much better footballer and that is saying a lot.

Im hoping it was just nerves but I think he had an opportunity to repel about 4 or 5 goals and each and every time was guilty of not understanding his limitations and playing the percentages.  That is the absolute minimum for a half back IMHO.

I'd have played Martin off half back before Boyd.
I probably would've played Cottrell off half back before Boyd.
Willo....yep.

Hopefully Stocker isn't too far away, Saad comes back and we don't have to worry about Boyd back there anymore.

Reply #5
I saw Michael gibbons in the southern stand against the Tigers.  The first time he took the field I saw tenacity and smarts.  Size and speed were his limitations.   Boyd...  not sure what they were thinking.  He is miles off it.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #6
Very good win considering how the game played out.

Young had a very good debut for the club. Looking forward getting Saad and Stock into this team.

We got torn apart on more than a few passages of play copping goals out the back .. plenty to work on

Reply #7
We were forced to play 2 debutants down back. That in itself made us vulnerable to the Hawks forward line. Their forwards disassembled Port last week in impressive fashion. Let’s hope our outs are not across one line of play too often.

I thought we’d have to capitalise when we won the clearances. Although I didn’t think it would come down to the last 5 minutes 🥵

Hawks were very good and never lost hope, which is a credit and reminiscent of the 3peat era. We made the most of our chances early then fought like heck to just hold on. Those wins will be so beneficial to the belief and culture in general. Those wins, however, are not so good for faint hearted supporters.

Kudos all round to the team, coaches, and the Baggers cheering from the sidelines.

Side note. Murphy was excellent in the commentary box along with Lids. He provided calm(not sure how but I want what he’s got) informed well balanced comments throughout 👍
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #8
Brilliant early but the Hawks made it a blue collar slog fest with lots of contests and seemed to mongrel the ball forward.
CJ was impressive but we didn't chase him either and didn't show enough physicality after half time imo.
Wasn't that impressed with Hawthorn and still can't believe they got that close.
Young was ok on debut but Boyd looks like a VFL player and Saad was missed badly. Harry, Charlie and JSOS were a threat all day and both Durdin and Owies were very good. Weitering of course was the general down back and saved the day but we should never have allowed such a average team like the Hawks back into the game but I'll take the 4 points.

Reply #9
Fisher needs to do a lot more I reckon EB,  he's treading water ATM.  
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #10
Fisher needs to do a lot more I reckon EB,  he's treading water ATM.  
Prof, Agree...just went today IMO and needs a big game. I still remain unconvinced about Setterfield and Obrien as being in our best 22 but I'll give Obrien points for effort and I thought Setterfield did some ok too things but still remains a player I dont trust.
Williams is getting plenty of easy ball down back but is another who makes me nervous when he has to defend and I dont see him as desperate enough.
Watched a bit of the VFL and too be honest I didnt see a lot that would challenge Fisher or any of the others for their spots, Dow was handy but still makes disposal errors, Fogarty is handy and looks a good backup player for Durdin, Owies etec but to me needs to do more to force his way in and probably the best smaller type was ex Dogs player Will Hayes who isnt on the list.

Reply #11
Only needed 2 qtrs, no biggie.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #12
Still have Philip and Honey to come back to the VFL side but more than happy to go to the draft this year.

Reply #13
Silvagni was limping post game.

Silvagni had a huge ice pack on his knee after last week's game.
It might be something he's playing through at the moment.
If so it makes his efforts more impressive.

Where are we at?
I'm not sure.
There are signs of definite improvement but the lapses and goal runs are still present.
We'll see in the coming weeks whether we are 'front running show ponies', a side that is still vulnerable when the pressure goes up a cog....or the real deal.
Hopefully the signs of improvement are genuine and sustainable.

Reply #14
Worst win ever.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!