Skip to main content
Topic: AFL 2023 Preliminary Final Carlton vs Brisbane Post Game Prognostications (Read 30125 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL 2023 Preliminary Final Carlton vs Brisbane Post Game Prognostications

Reply #120
Fans underestimate the toll playing the Swans and Melbourne consecutively took on the squad, Top 4 with a week off is a huge advantage, and teams only have a chance from the bottom half of the eight if one of the top teams has some bad luck.

If the team has a problem it was the start to the season, not the finals effort.

Could be argued that those 8 losses in 9 games cost us a flag. As MBB said, we were playing sudden death matches to many weeks, then had to front up to two of the hardest, contested going in the finals. Hence we are banged up and cooked by the PF. Not only that, we had to do it in Brisbane too.

Reply #121
Ill predict Zac will struggle to get into the side in 2024. Salaries and reputations count for nothing with Vossy.

That's true, but Zac is the sort of player that Vossy likes.  If he gets back to full fitness and plays his best footy, Zac's in the 22.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #122
Could be argued that those 8 losses in 9 games cost us a flag. As MBB said, we were playing sudden death matches to many weeks, then had to front up to two of the hardest, contested going in the finals. Hence we are banged up and cooked by the PF. Not only that, we had to do it in Brisbane too.

That's the way I see it.  The loss to Brisbane at Marvel screwed our season.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #123
Ill predict Zac will struggle to get into the side in 2024. Salaries and reputations count for nothing with Vossy.
I agree but big contracts always create an obligation imho to play those players ahead of Joe average when positions are tight and there isn't much between the players on form and ability.
Never seen ZW play an outstanding game to be honest either for us or GWS so it will be interesting to see what he can bring and what all the hype on him is about.

Reply #124
People complain we lack outside pace, and elite disposal. 

Zac Williams has both, and is a tough player when he is on.  He is like Boyd but with much more capability.

His problems stems from a lack of consistency and thats down to his body letting him down.

He is like Mcgovern.  All the ability, and without the opportunity and capability.

If we can get him right, he would play a similar role to that guy Coleman who cut us to pieces on saturday.

He is arguably the best field kick in the side.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #125
People complain we lack outside pace, and elite disposal. 

Zac Williams has both, and is a tough player when he is on.  He is like Boyd but with much more capability.

His problems stems from a lack of consistency and thats down to his body letting him down.

He is like Mcgovern.  All the ability, and without the opportunity and capability.

If we can get him right, he would play a similar role to that guy Coleman who cut us to pieces on saturday.

He is arguably the best field kick in the side.

Yes!

If we have learnt anything this year, it is that seemingly injury-prone players can stay fit and make valuable contributions.

If we can nail Zac’s fitness regime and he has an ounce of luck, he could make a real difference next season.

Reply #126
Best field kick in the side?  Sorry, I'd need some convincing on that issue.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #127
IMO, the minute Zac Williams is injury free and match fit, he comes straight in.

Reply #128
Best field kick in the side?  Sorry, I'd need some convincing on that issue.
We don't have a lot of elite kicks, McGovern is clearly one, Boyd when he is on, I'd rate Williams and Hollands up there with Boyd but I'm not sure Williams takes as much risk as Boyd does.

Hollands for a 1st year has all the potential to be elite, Ryan Houlihan like elite, and we have Charlie and McKay in front of him!

A big improver this year has been Newman, still gets some wrong but cuts the opposition apart quite often when he gets it right.

Weiters is generally a good kick and a good decision maker, but probably doesn't get enough of the footy far enough up the field to make the most of it.

Binns coming through looks above average, LoB despite being maligned by some fans is an above average kick but fans only seem to remember the clangers.

For KPFs Charlie and McKay are above average field kicking, but of course they are usually in the wrong place to use it and that is the way we need it to stay.

If it was measured as a degree of difficulty like olympic diving, then I'd have McGovern, Boyd, Charlie on about par.

I wonder how much of our kicking problems are historical, I think under Bolts we had a too much defence don't make a mistake focus, but you can't get better at stuff like penetrating kicks by not trying!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #129
McG may be a great kick but his use onto F50  can be diabolical.  If he bombs long into F50 on our KFs heads' again I'd damn near sack him.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #130

Weiters is generally a good kick

That used to be the case but he has many more mis-kicks these days.

Reply #131
Tend to agree and he can get a bit lazy on his left foot and grub them along the ground...

Reply #132
Many more?

I don't really agree, perception is a funny thing.

For example, we say McGovern is elite, most would agree. Yet Weitering averages more kicks than McGovern (10.2 / 8.7), has a higher kick efficiency (75% / 71%) and a very similar clanger rate (2.1 / 1.9). Are you surprised?

Even so, I think McGovern remains my better of the two but Weitering isn't bad like you may think.

I suspect the where and when influences perception, and when things go wrong on the last line it's probably a nightmare for fans!

I have more memories of McGovern opening up the opposition for a score, yet the elimination final kick from Weiters to Hollands is as good if not better than any.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #133
That's true, but Zac is the sort of player that Vossy likes. 
What? A lazy prick who likes bruise free footy? Doubt it.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #134
What? A lazy prick who likes bruise free footy? Doubt it.
Weren't many fans outraged because Williams got suspended for a midfield hip and shoulder during pre-season?
The Force Awakens!