Skip to main content
Topic: AI and creativity. (Read 9289 times) previous topic - next topic

AI and creativity.

I’m not sure how fair dinkum this is.
Maybe some of the more technical of us can verify it, but if it’s true you can understand the concerns of folks like scriptwriters, actors and musicians over the impact of AI on their intellectual property.

There’s often a debate over the best lead singer of some of the big power ballad groups of the 70s and 80s.
Often the popular choice is Freddie Mercury.
My personal favourite is Steve Perry of Journey.

Has AI made it possible for a more direct comparison.
The Mercury clip is still a little ‘tinny’ but time will only improve the quality as the technology improves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcjzHMhBtf0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbZlQcys6o0

Re: AI and creativity.

Reply #1
I asked the AI should we go after Clayton Oliver  :D  :D  :D
They're not sure.

According to recent news, Melbourne is open to trading their star midfielder, Clayton Oliver, with rival clubs already enquiring about his availability 12. However, Melbourne is not willing to part ways with the 26-year-old unless they get the right deal in return 1. Oliver is a four-time best and fairest winner at the Demons and is contracted until the end of 2030 on a lucrative contract 3.

It’s unclear whether Carlton has expressed interest in acquiring Oliver. However, given his impressive track record and the fact that he is still young, it’s possible that Carlton might consider acquiring him if they believe he would be a good fit for their team.

It’s worth noting that Oliver endured a difficult 2023 campaign, primarily due to consistent injury setbacks that cost him half the season 4. He was also out of action from Rounds 14 to 19 and was forced to address ugly drug rumors that spread like wildfire on social media 5. However, despite these setbacks, Oliver remains one of the most talented midfielders in the league and would be a valuable asset to any team that acquires him.

In summary, while it’s unclear whether Carlton should acquire Clayton Oliver, it’s worth considering his impressive track record and potential value to the team.

Reply #2
Same page here, Principal LODS.

Steve Perry is by far my favourite pop/rock vocalist. He and Ann Wilson (Heart) are both extraordinary and standout vocalists from that era... well, any era really.

Agree that Freddie's AI version of this classic song is 'thin' in comparison to Steve. But scary none-the-less where AI may go with imitating vocalists.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #3
I'm not sure you need to worry about the artistic stuff as much as you should worry about the political.

I was at a conference a couple of years back, and Adobe demonstrated software that allowed you to write a speech and have it read in the voice of your preferred presenter, the example they used was Obama presenting a speech asserting the Republican conspiracy theories were correct. Now that software has been extended in capability to include video, you can have the voice and the video of the person making the speech and the lips and face movements are almost indistinguishable from real. All you have to do is link to pre-existing videos of the presenter for the software to learn from, and it will make a fake using your text, it will even correct your text so the grammar fits the speech pattern of the presenter.

Trump supporters got right onto this early and start posting fakes of Obama, Biden and Clinton like running water, but Google and Facebook put measures in place to quickly curtail the activity.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #4
Year 5/6 kids at my sons primary school where he works using ChatGpt to complete essays, creates more work for the teachers having to go on these sites and pull up answers and compare them with the students work.

Reply #5
We are all in a simulated reality anyway. So its just a simulation simulating another simulation.

Reply #6
They can all sing.

Do this with Steve Perry singing Queen's Don't Stop Me now then see what the result is.

It is hard to compare as they will generally sing songs that sit in their 'pocket' that bring the best out of their tone and range.

Steve Perry has a higher voice than Freddie, so Don't Stop Believing may suit Perry more.

Who's the best?  Doesn't really matter.  It's whatever floats your boat.

I have seen a clip of We Are The Champions with the vocals isolated - it's pretty cool and hard to fault.

Reply #8
Yep
It wasn't really meant as a 'one's better than the other, both are tremendous power singers...and it's a personal preference.
It was more about the technology.
I'm still not certain where I stand.
It would be great to hear singers of the past doing songs they didn't record while alive.

But there may be ethical issues that need addressing.
Who benefits financially from the singers 'intellectual property'?
The singer has no control over the music...he may have been very resistant to recording a particular song or genre?
Old band members can 'reform' with the deceased on AI, not necessarily a bad thing.
I understand Lennon's voice has been AI'd to some old Beatles material
But do we want a top 40 consisting of Buddy Holly, Elvis, Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Bowie etc singing new material
(I reckon 80%+ will answer yes) ;)  :D

Implications are also there for actors as the technology advances.
Will we see Marylin Monroe in "Barbie 2"
or
Oppenheimer himself in "Oppenheimer 2"

It's a brave new world :-\

Reply #9
Still gotta give it to Freddie

Reply #10
Yep
It wasn't really meant as a 'one's better than the other, both are tremendous power singers...and it's a personal preference.
I'm still not certain where I stand.
It would be great to hear singers of the past doing songs they didn't record while alive.

But there may be ethical issues that need addressing.
Who benefits financially from the singers 'intellectual property'?
The singer has no control over the music...he may have been very resistant to recording a particular song or genre?
Old band members can 'reform' with the deceased on AI, not necessarily a bad thing.
I understand Lennon's voice has been AI'd to some old Beatles material
But do we want a top 40 consisting of Buddy Holly, Elvis, Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Bowie etc singing new material
(I reckon 80%+ will answer yes) ;)  :D

Implications are also there for actors as the technology advances.
Will we see Marylin Monroe in "Barbie 2"
or
Oppenheimer himself in "Oppenheimer 2"

It's a brave new world :-\
Not sure if you are aware but SAG (screen actors guild) are striking at the moment basically for this reason.

The actors can pretty much be made obsolete with basically current technology. We could have new Brad Pitt movies coming out for the next 300 years.

Reply #11
Not sure if you are aware but SAG (screen actors guild) are striking at the moment basically for this reason.

The actors can pretty much be made obsolete with basically current technology. We could have new Brad Pitt movies coming out for the next 300 years.

Yep, very aware.
The Screenwriters are back.
The actors are still negotiating...not just about AI but also there are issues around streaming and the revenue they used to get from re-runs of shows

I just get the feeling that it's all pretty much swimming against a Tsunami.
The genie is out of the bottle.

Reply #12
Yep

I know Lods, but couldn't help myself, sorry!  But it's pretty cool to hear the clear diction and both were note perfect. (as well as the rest of the Queen and their harmonies).

What will be scary is when scammers hack your phone, get a recording of your voice voice, send a text/message showing your number, but using a different one, use your voice, ask for money from a rellie and then it gets sent to a 'wrong' account.

Three top international crimes are:
Weapons
People Trafficking
Drugs

Surely scamming/cyber crime has to be number 4 with a bullet.

Reply #13
ChatGpt had Freddie Mercury, Bruce Springsteen, Prince and Bono as the best male lead singers of a band in that 80's era when I asked the question....Steve Perry didnt get a mention.

Reply #14
ChatGpt had Freddie Mercury, Bruce Springsteen, Prince and Bono as the best male lead singers of a band in that 80's era when I asked the question....Steve Perry didnt get a mention.

Lets ask Brian May. :D

https://societyofrock.com/what-makes-steve-perry-such-a-great-singer/#:~:text=Perry%20has%20an%20incredibly%20powerful%20range%20%E2%80%93%20spanning,has%20a%20smooth%20tone%20and%20a%20perfect%20pitch.

Perry has an incredibly powerful range – spanning from F#2 to A5. As far as singing goes, he’s peerless and a force of nature at that. Even fellow rockers have nothing but praises for him. Queen’s Brian May even described him as “a truly luminous singer” and “a voice in a million.” Plus, he has a smooth tone and a perfect pitch. He essentially raised the bar for every other lead singer out there with his emotive delivery which gave an extra punch to Journey’s power ballads.

Perry's my favourite.
Others would have a different choice.
You'd get a fair few in front of the AI choices (apart from Mercury) from most people.
I like Springsteen...but you need subtitles. :D  :D