Skip to main content
Topic: CV and mad panic behaviour (Read 436034 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: CV and mad panic behaviour

Reply #720
I don't  mind who does it tbh. I don't take offence easily. Also, I am used to spending time in the minority at various times in my life.
Not so easy to say that Cookie. I will never forget telling joke on this forum that made fun of a race and sex and someone here lost their crap over it. Made me realise you can't make references like that even thought they were once considered "funny". I reckon the days of comedy shows like Joe Avati, Sooshi Mango and Wogs Out Of Work, Housos, Fat Pizza etc are numbered. Cant have it both ways.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #721
Mate I can only go by what I feel. I don't gratuitously offend others but what they feel is their issue and out of my control. Times and social mores change. No value in looking back to the 70s and getting to upset. We've come a long way since then, but there will always be dickheads.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #722
Such a vexing subject this racism stuff. Just for clarity perhaps reminding ourselves of the actual definition of racism might help... paraphrased it's (as you know) to judge another unfavourably based on their race or membership of a race.

I'm with the Fluffy One in regards to not being personally offended by being referred to as a 'white fella' or honkey and so on though I respect, totally, those who are affronted or even hurt by such labels.

BUT, then I'm a member of the majority race who have been running the show for eons and I don't have a history of wounds resulting from being judged unfairly based on my colour (or gender) to the extent it resulted in my unfair exclusion in many societal norms (employment/teams/accommodation/transport/friendship/marriage etc). So when we see the reactions of folks of colour to prejudice perhaps we should factor in how it feels to have led of life of exclusion and even ridicule based on skin colour. If you suppress and even denigrate any individual or group of folks it follows that they will either turn on themselves and be convinced they're inferior, bad, unworthy, wrong etc and become depressed or worse... or they'll bottle it up then explode and lash out when it all becomes too much. Just look at what cyber bullying can do to some young folks. Suicide is not uncommon... neither is joining a gang and fighting back. Just thoughts regarding one particular aspect of racism.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #723
@ Baggers
Rascism and bullying in our society definitely need to be addressed Baggers, but in the right way. Unfortunately much of today's political activism serves to aggravate those problems rather than solve them.

Reply #724
People take offence where there is none, or at least intended.  Some of the nicest ones I've met I thought were obnoxious at the outset, but I've not once cared about the labels they might throw at me.

Met 'em all, good and bad (as far as my perceptions are concerned).  All grist for the mill.

The funniest was on the poor side of SFO when I needed gas at a local station sand their pumps were different from ours (this is '78).  Black guy came out from the booth, educated me in their use and said "You are all squared away man?  Be cool"

Reply #725
Poor old Bruce McAveney is copping it for fat shaming Jake Stringer.. think Bruce suggested Jake didn't come back in the best knick and was carrying some kegs.
He didn't say Jake has a fat rump and his guts are hanging out of his jumper but in this over sanitised crazy world he has committed a crime and will be summoned to account by the  public and other media.

Reply #726
Into the stocks with him!!

Reply #727
Poor old Bruce McAveney is copping it for fat shaming Jake Stringer.. think Bruce suggested Jake didn't come back in the best knick and was carrying some kegs.
He didn't say Jake has a fat rump and his guts are hanging out of his jumper but in this over sanitised crazy world he has committed a crime and will be summoned to account by the  public and other media.
Unfortunately Bwuce has been making a lot of uncomfortable comments lately. I suspect it's probably health related or perhaps just showing his age, just silly things, not just or specifically our games but any game.

But crap, if you sit next to BT long enough listening to that crap, you are bound to dragged down to that level!

Unfortunately, and I hate to say this because the bloke is a deadset self-licking popsicle, but lately the best "football" caller seems to be ................. gulp .......................... Brayshaw! The rest of them cannot even get the player names right, and they have no crowd noise to blame!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #728
Unfortunately Bwuce has been making a lot of uncomfortable comments lately. I suspect it's probably health related or perhaps just showing his age, just silly things, not just or specifically our games but any game.

But crap, if you sit next to BT long enough listening to that crap, you are bound to dragged down to that level!

Unfortunately, and I hate to say this because the bloke is a deadset self-licking popsicle, but lately the best "football" caller seems to be ................. gulp .......................... Brayshaw! The rest of them cannot even get the player names right, and they have no crowd noise to blame!
Brayshaws over use of nicknames is cringeworthy. I reckon he makes some up on the fly.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #729
Say it EB, "PC gone mad", go on, you'll feel better. ;D
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #730

Well I'm previously on record as saying I like J Brayshaw as a commentator... bit like Rex in that he gets creative with his expressions and names and I like that. I still love Bruce's passion for the game and that helps to forgive a few sins... STFW if he reckons Stringer's got a clacker like a rogue elephant, woops... that could get me in trouble. I also like Derm (insightful and honest), Daisy Pearce, Dwayne, Leigh Matthews and Gerard Whateley (Gerard as a game day commentator but not as a radio / TV celebrity - dryer than a dead dingoes....) And we miss D Cometti.

Reply #731
Say it EB, "PC gone mad", go on, you'll feel better. ;D
GTC...Political Correctness has gone mad, there are people doing it tough everywhere including Bruce McAveney and Jake Stringers guts has made the news for different reasons other than what Bruce was alluding to ie a professional athlete has come back to play unprepared. I've had a gutful of PC.....can I say that? or do I need a disclaimer...

Reply #732
GTC...Political Correctness has gone mad, there are people doing it tough everywhere including Bruce McAveney and Jake Stringers guts has made the news for different reasons other than what Bruce was alluding to ie a professional athlete has come back to play unprepared. I've had a gutful of PC.....can I say that? or do I need a disclaimer...

Mm, depends on the size of your guts, when you say you've had a gutful! 😉

Funny thing is that I do not know one person who DOESN'T think PC has gone too far and is even just plain silly at times. If it went any further comedy would be outlawed!

Reply #733
@ Baggers

A pity George Carlin isn't still with us to cast his acerbic eye on the situation. 😉

Reply #734
Funny thing is that I do not know one person who DOESN'T think PC has gone too far and is even just plain silly at times. If it went any further comedy would be outlawed!

I don't think PC has gone too far. More often than not, it's political and cultural conservatives, and folks on the right of the political spectrum, who seem to have an issue with political correctness. As for comedians, you can be clever about stereotyping like Jerry Seinfeld, or you can be a total sh1thead, like the loathsome Andrew Dice Clay.