Skip to main content
Topic: JLT 2018: Carlton vs St Kilda at Ikon on Wednesday (Read 73727 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: JLT 2018: Carlton vs St Kilda at Ikon on Wednesday

Reply #360
24 pages on a game we won. Winning is usually bad for business.

Novelty value?  ;)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #361
Docherty
Weitering
SPS
ACoS
Williamson
Rowe
Lang
O'Shea

So, excluding Doc given his knee, our best 22?

Well, 24 ended up playing Wednesday night. Of the above Weiters, SPS, Willo are walk up starts imo. Lang likely too.

So to fit three into the team, 5 need to go out...

Mullet (for Willo), Lamb (for Lang?) - then it starts to get really tough.

Should Byrne get dropped for Weiters (that's the essential swap?) given Byrne's great run off HB.

Who goes out for SPS? Most likely O'Brien at this stage or (dare I say it) Thomas. But Thomas offers more than the kid until the kid warrants selection.

Byrne or Thomas or Garlett? Byrne and Garlett ahead of Daisy for mine. I even suspect Plow might get some midfield time....giving Weiters a spot down back.

ACoS and Rowe going to find it tough with Plow and Marchy and Jones in form....as much as I like both the first mentioned blokes given their physicality.

Jones made a couple of blunders but he also did a lot of bloody remarkable things too..... if you save 7 goals and concede two i reckon you're well ahead.

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #362
Any by the by, you don't lose this ability!

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/video/2015-11-24/cdraft-weitering-hl

or

https://www.afldraftcentral.com.au/2015/10/08/2015-draft-profile-jacob-weitering/

In terms of weaknesses, he does not have too many. He is not an athletic beast nor is he very quick off the mark. He disguises his lack of speed because he can anticipate situations before they happen, however Weitering is slower than other defenders in the draft crop.

This means for AFL level, he might struggle against the faster, more athletically gifted forwards such as Cam McCarthy or Lance Franklin, but would be at home against the stronger, brute forwards.

Carlton fans should not worry about his lack of speed, because the way he sets up and leads the back six as a unit. He is likely to be the kind of player than will listen intently and as he gains more confidence with his teammates, not be afraid to share his views on how to improve the side defensively.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #364
The same McKay that is only a month younger than Weitering and taken the same draft?
He requires games more than Weitering does?

;D ;D ;D

Weitering is a backman.
McKay is a forward.

If one of them are going to get games as a forward, is it surprising that i want that one to be McKay?

Age is irrelevent. I want my forward to get games as a forward.

Reply #365
In terms of weaknesses, he does not have too many. He is not an athletic beast nor is he very quick off the mark. He disguises his lack of speed because he can anticipate situations before they happen, however Weitering is slower than other defenders in the draft crop.

This means for AFL level, he might struggle against the faster, more athletically gifted forwards such as Cam McCarthy or Lance Franklin, but would be at home against the stronger, brute forwards.

Carlton fans should not worry about his lack of speed, because the way he sets up and leads the back six as a unit. He is likely to be the kind of player than will listen intently and as he gains more confidence with his teammates, not be afraid to share his views on how to improve the side defensively.

Again, never questioned his ability, just where he sits on the pecking order.

Marchbank offers the same anticipation and play reading that Weitering offers, but in a quicker, more agile package.
Jones is obviously quicker and has no issues reading the play.
Plowman is quicker and reads the play as well.

So, weiterings biggest asset, is reading the play. His biggest weakness is his speed/agility.

Out of the 4, we don't gain anything different by including weitering, and dropping one of the others. We do lose speed and flexibility though....which is my point. For team balance, it might be best if we go with the other 3 only.

Never said he isn't talented.

Reply #366
What is relevant is saying you would rather drop weitering (who desperately needs games as much as anyone) to get games into another player, regardless of which player.

I like Harry and think he could be great, but weirering so far is both a more effective forward and defender
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #367
What is relevant is saying you would rather drop weitering (who desperately needs games as much as anyone) to get games into another player, regardless of which player.

I like Harry and think he could be great, but weirering so far is both a more effective forward and defender

McKay has played 2 games, so yes, Weitering is more effective as a forward thus far.
However, based on potential, McKay has a higher ceiling up forward and i want to see how close he can get to it.

Play Weitering in front of Casboult if you wish, but McKay needs games more than anyone.
If he isn't up to it, we need to draft someone who is.
We KNOW weitering can play in defense, and he will, but as a forward he shouldn't get priority

Reply #368
I thought Ed's ball use was pretty good, and his work in the defensive 50 was excellent.  He will be one of the first players picked for some time to come.

Interestingly, Simmo was picking up a taller opponent on many occasions.

O'Brien had a night to forget (perfectly understandable) and Jones made some errors that, while excusable in a novice defender, could cost us a game during the real season.
Dont get the last bit, he made the mistakes but we still won, how would it have made a difference if it was H&A?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #369
McKay has played 2 games, so yes, Weitering is more effective as a forward thus far.
However, based on potential, McKay has a higher ceiling up forward and i want to see how close he can get to it.

Play Weitering in front of Casboult if you wish, but McKay needs games more than anyone.
If he isn't up to it, we need to draft someone who is.
We KNOW weitering can play in defense, and he will, but as a forward he shouldn't get priority

Your logic is flawed, Weitering is the same age and requires games every bit as much as Harry does. The fact he is further  in front (and by a fair way) suggests that you need to keep playing him or he risks falling back.

The club needs to do everything it can to ensure Weiters is playing each week he is fit. This guy could go on to be the next Rance such is the quality he has shown at such a young age.

I don't buy into any logic that suggests there is no place for Weitering for balance or otherwise. He would simply walk if that was the case and if I was his manager I would be advising him if the club doesn't rate him to walk and if i was his father I would be doing the same.

Thank goodness that is very unlikely to happen, Weitering would need to fall a long way to not be a first team selection.
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #370
Your logic is flawed, Weitering is the same age and requires games every bit as much as Harry does. The fact he is further  in front (and by a fair way) suggests that you need to keep playing him or he risks falling back.

Why is it flawed? Because i prefer Harry to play forward?

I've already suggested that if the club wanted to play Weitering forward instead of Casboult, i'd be more in favour of it than if it was instead of McKay.

So because Weitering (20) is young he gets games and pushes another player out of the side who might be a couple years older like Marchbank (21), Plowman (23).

So does that mean that we have to play Dow and O'Brien in place of Murphy?
Or perhaps we should play Williamson instead of Simpson?

Of course that is silly because the older players offer the team more.
Oh wait.
 :-[

Why is Weitering above the law?

Reply #371
Why is it flawed? Because i prefer Harry to play forward?

I've already suggested that if the club wanted to play Weitering forward instead of Casboult, i'd be more in favour of it than if it was instead of McKay.

So because Weitering (20) is young he gets games and pushes another player out of the side who might be a couple years older like Marchbank (21), Plowman (23).

So does that mean that we have to play Dow and O'Brien in place of Murphy?
Or perhaps we should play Williamson instead of Simpson?

Of course that is silly because the older players offer the team more.
Oh wait.
 :-[

Why is Weitering above the law?

Why do you keep saying he's bad for balance?
He is a highly talented kid.
Sounds like you want to make a name for yourself as the one that said it first.
Good luck with that, he can play

Reply #372

That isn't based in fact, it's your opinion.

Weitering has kicked far bigger bags of goals as a junior than McKay, I watched Weitering as a U16 kick 15 goals in a game, and given the opposition was questionable, not his opponent but the team on the whole, I went to watch him playing a senior AGS game and kick 6 playing as the CHB in a game surrounded by other AFL draftees!

Even so, he should be our long term KPD, he is clearly our Harry Taylor type and players like Marchbank and Plowman can set up around him for the next decade.

Not that I'm anti-McKay, but I see him as a ruck forward option within just a few years.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #373
Why do you keep saying he's bad for balance?
He is a highly talented kid.
Sounds like you want to make a name for yourself as the one that said it first.
Good luck with that, he can play

I've already explained that several times. Clubs play smaller/quicker forward lines nowadays. There simply might not be a matchup for him. Yes, we can play him and yes he is talented. But so is Jones, Marchbank and Plowman. You know Rowe is also talented. A. Silvagni can't do much wrong either. BUT, you can't fit them all into 1 backline. What about Macreadie and Willo?

We have an abundance of talented defenders. They all can't play. If we choose a backline to play on a smaller/quicker type forwardline

Making a name for myself is not something i have interest in.

I feel that with the tools that Harry has, quicker on the lead and more agile, he has more of a chance of being a better forward than Weitering.
I feel that with Jones, Marchbank and Plowman in defense, they can take on the majority of the forwards they will come up against...and should something go wrong, they can switch it up matchup wise.

This is not a recent problem. I've thought our list has been too defender heavy for a long time now. We are just in a position where they are all becoming AFL quality at the same time. Someone might have to miss out. Would i be more popular if i said Marchbank might be playing 2's? Well, its not about being popular, its about balance and the opposition and IMHO Weitering might get the short straw.

That does not mean i don't rate him. That means i don't think we can fit all our talented defenders into a back 6.

Even MIO has admitted last season he had Marchbank and Plowman rated higher than Weitering, and although he didn't confirm (or deny), pretty sure Jones was too. So by his own estimation he has Weitering as the 4th best defender.

Reply #374
That isn't based in fact, it's your opinion.

Weitering has kicked far bigger bags of goals as a junior than McKay, I watched Weitering as a U16 kick 15 goals in a game, and given the opposition was questionable, not his opponent but the team on the whole, I went to watch him playing a senior AGS game and kick 6 playing as the CHB in a game surrounded by other AFL draftees!

Even so, he should be our long term KPD, he is clearly our Harry Taylor type and players like Marchbank and Plowman can set up around him for the next decade.

Not that I'm anti-McKay, but I see him as a ruck forward option within just a few years.

Big kid, picking on smaller kids. AFL level is a different kettle of fish.
He's played forward and done ok a couple times....and gone completely missing other times.

He may well turn out to be better than Harry up forward, but he is not great on the lead, isn't as good of a contested mark and doesn't have the same kinda aggression as Harry does.

I've got more question marks over Harry than i do over Weiters, but if both lived up to their potential as a forward, i can't see Weiters being better than Harry. Of course, living up to the potential is the key. Plenty don't.