Skip to main content
Topic: Our Pressure Kings (Read 5929 times) previous topic - next topic

Our Pressure Kings

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-05-14/kings-of-pressure?camefrom=EMCL_295818_13789383

Marc Murphy's leadership is reflected in his commitment to the defensive side of his game. The Carlton skipper leads his team in pressure acts this season (156) ahead of Dale Thomas (101) and Ed Curnow (100), and is fourth in the AFL for tackles (53). Curnow has built his game on defensive pressure and is ranked sixth in the competition for average tackles a game in 2014 (7.6).
Sam Rowe's development as a defender has been impressive and he is fourth in the AFL in 2014 for one-percenters (64), with veteran key defender Michael Jamison equal 12th (48).
 David Ellard has also been a revelation in attack this season and is a clear leader at Carlton in forward-50 tackles (10). But no player at Visy Park applies more pressure all over the ground than Murphy.

Re: Our Pressure Kings

Reply #1
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-05-14/kings-of-pressure?camefrom=EMCL_295818_13789383

Marc Murphy's leadership is reflected in his commitment to the defensive side of his game. The Carlton skipper leads his team in pressure acts this season (156)

This is an outstanding result. Congrats to Murph, just the grunt he needed. Looks like he is set to explode to another level.
What happened to my old profile?????

Reply #2
Sam Rowe's development as a defender has been impressive and he is fourth in the AFL in 2014 for one-percenters (64),

:o  Who would have thought??

Reply #3
Sam Rowe's development as a defender has been impressive and he is fourth in the AFL in 2014 for one-percenters (64),

The spoil king?  ;D

Reply #4
Rowe's main stat would be knock ons and shepherds or bumps, he tends to knock on quite a lot and then block his opponent from the contest.

Spoils, Smothers, Knock Ons, Shepherds and Bumps are the main 1% stats.

This is why I think he has been so much better this season, he might not be racking up stats but neither are his opponents! I suspect he will get a run forward at some time in coming weeks, then we may see him at his best!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #5
Was looking through some of the season stats the other day and one bloke who I've criticised this year for his ball use, but geez, some of the less glamorous he does as well as anyone in the AFL (i.e. 1%ers, tackles, pressure acts, etc.) and that's Ed Curnow. The guy is almost elite when it comes to that type of onfield work. He's sorely missed when not in the team.
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #7
Great effort from Murphy has responded to the criticism in the best way possible.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #8
Great effort from Murphy has responded to my extreme criticism in the best way possible.

FIFY  :P
Excuses year 1, blame year 2, contract extention year 3........

Reply #9
Great effort from Murphy has responded to my extreme criticism in the best way possible.

FIFY  :P

Hehe, not even I am that arrogant! Pretty sure more than half the forum was on to him anyway. ;)
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #10
Well well well. Pleasantly surprised.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #11
He has really stepped it up since the Melbourne game which would have been close to the worst performance of his career.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #12

*raises hand*

Given him votes twice this year for it.  ;)

Reply #13

*raises hand*

Given him votes twice this year for it.  ;)

Yeh its a funny one, he is a plugging a rather large hole and is improving by the week. If he can just do that then he is more than doing enough.