Skip to main content
Topic: Lachie forward/back or both (Read 9066 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Lachie forward/back or both

Reply #15
The notion of the "Swingman" is misleading when it is represented as a positive for a clubs list. For an individual it's a good thing to have on your CV but any club reliant on a swingman has deficiencies on their list that won't win a flag. Swingmen are great if you are blessed with a full compliment of KPP's because you are odds on to win a flag (Hawthorn 2013) but for most clubs a settled line up forward and back would suffice. SOS was one of the greatest swingmen of all time, but it's a big call to switch the full back of the century to full forward even when he was capable of kicking huge bags. FWIW we never won flags in those moments.

FWIW, we 'swung' SOS onto a wing in the '95 GF to take care of Ablett who was moved up there because he couldn't get a touch at FF. He couldn't get a touch on the wing either. SOS destroyed him.

Reply #16
SOS destroyed everyone. He was after all, SOS.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #17
Forget about the obvious lack of pre-season and lets look at the pure numbers.

Waite - 16 games, 29 goals 17 behinds.
Henderson - 17 games, 28 goals 14 behinds.

Pretty similar!

More than half his goals came in 3 games.
Many against sides below us.

I wasn't advocating Hendo be tossed anyway so unless you're trying to say that Hendo should be playing as a defender, I'm not sure what you're saying?

Reply #18
I'm not sure what you're saying?

Just that the opinions on this forum vary dramatically and go so far as to be completely contradictory.

It amuses me.

Reply #19
I don't think he's good enough as a forward and looks to be a natural defender but I hope he proves me wrong.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #20
I don't think he's good enough as a forward and looks to be a natural defender but I hope he proves me wrong.

I think that's a fair call. Hasn't to date been a real burden to opposition defences on a weekly basis and has probably best displayed his wares in defence when things have gotten tight although even these efforts have been sapped since 2013 as the MC tried to exploit opposition match ups by believing in the swingman ideology. If Levi and Liam can get busy down forward with Jaksch as an option to "swing", maybe Hendo would be better served down back playing his natural game.
IN WADA WE TRUST