Skip to main content
Topic: Cripps (Read 25465 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Cripps

Reply #90
The numbers are great and the numbers are true, but Patrick Cripps has not had as good a season as he did last year. He stagnated for parts of the season with injury and he is being tagged unmercifully. His disposals have sometimes not hurt as much as they have last year and he has a much too high handball to kick ratio.
And he is STILL best in the competition in clearances.[/color]

There have been times this year, when he has had a quieter period, that he has simply WILLED himself to get the ball and get it out. He has started taking some impressive marks, although he has not done that much since his injury. There is more to come from Cripps, who may be our best recruiting decision this century.
Captain Cripps?
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #91
I wonder what West Coast will be prepared to offer next time his contract is up...  it's a while off I know but I's scared already.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #92
I wonder what West Coast will be prepared to offer next time his contract is up...  it's a while off I know but I's scared already.

Think he will be our highest paid player next contract....800k-1 mill a year probably for 5 years......just have to budget for it in the cap down the track and not pay overs to lesser types....

Reply #93
Proff I'm confident Crippa will be a one Club player.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #95
He's a freak youngster.

..and I think we have a few of those now.

Reply #96
Proff I'm confident Crippa will be a one Club player.

Those days set sail long, long ago!

In the future it will be the extreme exception to be a one club player rather than the rule.

If you don't believe that ask yourself why the AFL is talking about NRL style mid-season drafts. Basically the AFL and AFLPA are freeing up the mechanisms that prevent players moving about more frequently.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #97
Right on Time,

Quelle Surprise!

Quote from: Caro, The Rage
McLachlan is understood to have thrown open the topic to the 18 AFL club chiefs over their two-day meeting this week and been met with virtual silence. Only Carlton CEO Steven Trigg spoke of the radical idea as having some merit but it was a short conversation.

And yet McLachlan is pressing ahead with a logistical investigation into a mid-season draft. Although the AFL has scrapped any prospect of it taking place next year McLachlan's key lieutenants Mark Evans and Andrew Dillon are looking at how it could work in the future, along with a number of other evolving list-management issues.

The Force Awakens!

Reply #98
Whats wrong with a mid-season draft?

If the AFL can get the logistics of it worked out, then i think it will be great for the competition.

Too many teams shut up shop early and throw away the season.

A few key injuries and your season can be over very early on.

Mid-season draft can give you some hope and potentially resurrect your season.

Personally, if i was running it, i'd allow teams to pick up players every week to cover injuries.

Instead of elevating a rookie to cover an LTI, bring another player onto the list to cover the LTI.

Reply #99
Whats wrong with a mid-season draft?

Nothing at all, but I think it certainly debunks the notion of a one club player once it comes in!

It makes more sense in soccer or union where that player may arrive from a completely separate competition.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #100
Nothing at all, but I think it certainly debunks the notion of a one club player once it comes in!

It makes more sense in soccer or union where that player may arrive from a completely separate competition.

One club players are becoming rarer and rarer, but i don't think this will really affect that.

If this comes in, it will be to assist in moving on c-grade players rather than a-grade. Top talent can still be one club players.

Reply #101
One club players are becoming rarer and rarer, but i don't think this will really affect that.

If this comes in, it will be to assist in moving on c-grade players rather than a-grade. Top talent can still be one club players.
Agree and Cripps is that very rarity IMO.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #103
I agree with Walls
If there is an area for Cripps to improve on it is using his feet.
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #104
I agree with Walls
If there is an area for Cripps to improve on it is using his feet.

It will be harder for Cripps than Williams or Mitchell, at Crippa's size moving laterally quickly is so much harder and it just takes a fraction of a second longer to get foot to ball. That leaves him open for opponents to get a hand on the pill.

But the biggest thing is the absence of foot skills on their off-side. Diesel, Mitchell, Scotland, etc., etc., they all are hard to tell if they are left or right. The sad part of this is that it is something you can learn yet so many AFL level players cannot seem to master it.

Carrazzo was a great example, was shizen on his preferred foot and became proficient on his non-preferred foot by the end of his career, so much so people thought he was eventually better on his non-preferred.
The Force Awakens!